Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Review: Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel AF System

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Review: Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel AF System

Review: Canon EOS 70D's Dual Pixel AF system

Dpreview posted an article by Shawn Barnett showing Canon's Dual Pixel AF technology in the field.

Here is an excerpt from his summary:

"Overall, the Canon EOS 70D has more of what you want in an intermediate SLR without over-reaching. It's true that most of what's improved about the 70D has more to do with live view and movie modes, which at first blush doesn't make it a compelling upgrade for still photographers.
The advantage becomes more clear when you remember the 70D's articulated LCD, which is made more useful by live-view phase-detect autofocus that's essentially as fast and accurate as conventional, optical-viewfinder phase-detect AF. That won't be significant to those who are accustomed to always bringing an SLR to their eye, but it will matter to anyone raised in the generation used to framing their world on an electronic display."
Read full article

Pre-order:

Canon EOS 70D Body $1199
B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama

Canon EOS 70D with 18-55mm IS STM $1349

Canon EOS 70D with 18-135mm IS STM $1549

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:57 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Review: Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel AF System

Interesting. We are beginning to see some test pictures and videos from this camera. Obviously there needs to be more testing.

For still shooters: the better Live View functions and the increased shutter rate from 5 (60D) to 7 FPS.

Lots to think about for video shooters. The different auto focus systems do seem to work. With just about every video DSLR you have to focus manually. This creates a lot of stability issues which has spawned a huge industry in stabilizing and follow focus rigs.

This new AF will appeal to casual video shooters as it becomes a more easy user friendly camcorder that shoots in hi def. Even more serious video shooters might appreciate this AF system.

The test videos in this review were shot in Seattle of hydro boat racing on a sunny day. I hope to see a video test with back and forth dialog between two people in a darker room and some footage following human movement through a building at f/4.

This technology will emerge in the more expensive Canon cameras for sure, maybe even the 7D mkII.

All in all this looks like a decent upgrade for 60D owners and an enticing buy for shooters who create videos...

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:06 PM
paulfeng
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Review: Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel AF System

I haven't read the review or too much else about this AF system, please excuse me if the idea I am putting forth now has been discussed before (or is even a feature Canon is providing):

It seems to me that since the dual pixels for sensor-based phase detect AF are the actual pixels of the image sensor itself, that they should always be perfectly calibrated (i.e., there is no mis-match of the lens-flange-to-AF-sensor distance as compared to the lens-flange-to-image-sensor distance. Accordingly, the camera should be able to auto-calibrate focus for any attached lens when focusing using the image-sensor phase detect AF. Furthermore, the camera should be able to auto-calibrate the conventional (mirror-down) phase detect AF sensor by comparing its results with those obtained with the image-sensor phase detect AF.

And if Canon does not provide this capability, maybe Magic Lantern will?

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password