Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

scot1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

Took this photo at my last wedding. I am pushing myself to get more creative and use light better. This was taken in a hotel board room where the bride got ready. The room was very uninteresting but there was a big window with these drapes. How did I do?

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:44 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

Looks pretty good to me.

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:51 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

I think it looks great! The only thing that might make it slightly better is having her shoulder back a little more.

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:54 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

bw FTW

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Prevelige
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

I think it works well. Interesting lighting, nice highlights of color.

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:16 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

The mixed color temperature is distracting to me. I think a B&W image would be stronger.

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:42 PM
scot1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

deepbluejh wrote:
The mixed color temperature is distracting to me. I think a B&W image would be stronger.

Could you explain what you mean by that?

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

From a technical standpoint, the photo is great.

But looking at the mess her hair is- well, I hope the groom didn't run when he saw her walking down the aisle.

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:56 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

scot1 wrote:
Could you explain what you mean by that?

White light coming in from the window mixed with orange light coming from the room.

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:59 PM
scot1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

deepbluejh: got it. you have my permission to do a B&W conversion to show how it would be stronger.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

Agree with the mixed WB. You should have turned off the room lights and gone for rim and silhouette. Do you have others?

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:11 PM
scot1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

amonline wrote:
Agree with the mixed WB. You should have turned off the room lights and gone for rim and silhouette. Do you have others?

I actually did turn off the room lights I'm guessing I could fix this in LR?

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:12 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

I think her hair is awesome, she looks hot and that this is a very nice photo

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:19 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

I like it. Rolling back the shoulder may have helped, but it doesn't bother me at all. Do you have one or two more frames? The look back is good and I like the mood of it. The only hesitation would be a lot of the whites of the eyes showing. Fill light off a reflector might have been a bonus for the lighting on her face.

She's a beautiful woman.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:31 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

scot1 wrote:
I actually did turn off the room lights I'm guessing I could fix this in LR?

Well, it's about a stop too hot to begin with. Maybe even a stop and a half. There are so many ways to go with it now. I'm just commenting on how it could have been much more impacting if it had been shot in a different manner consistent with exposing properly.

I'd vote B&W.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:37 PM
scot1

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

amonline wrote:
Well, it's about a stop too hot to begin with. Maybe even a stop and a half. There are so many ways to go with it now. I'm just commenting on how it could have been much more impacting if it had been shot in a different manner consistent with exposing properly.

I'd vote B&W.

I agree. I know it is not perfect and someone more skilled then me could have done a much better job in this situation. I was on a pressure time crunch and I done the best I could with what I had.

What amazes me the most about the top photographers is what they are able to achieve under pressure using surrounding they have never seen before and killing it, every time! There are some on here that do that and my hat if off to them. I strive to be that though I know I probably never will.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

scot1 wrote:
I agree. I know it is not perfect and someone more skilled then me could have done a much better job in this situation. I was on a pressure time crunch and I done the best I could with what I had.

What amazes me the most about the top photographers is what they are able to achieve under pressure using surrounding they have never seen before and killing it, every time! There are some on here that do that and my hat if off to them. I strive to be that though I know I probably never will.

so does this mean we take time-crunch out of the equation.... or is a given. just saying it is the environment we work in at any given wedding.
So no crutches .... it may hurt but good learning point.

I keep having broad side / short side running through my head when looking at this image.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:10 PM
scot1

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

Ziffl3 wrote:
so does this mean we take time-crunch out of the equation.... or is a given. just saying it is the environment we work in at any given wedding.
So no crutches .... it may hurt but good learning point.

I keep having broad side / short side running through my head when looking at this image.

There is always a "time-crunch" agreed, but some situations are tougher/higher pressure than others. This was one of those were my only option was to photograph the bride in a hotel board room and try my best to make something out of nothing. There were places in the hotel I would much rather have gone but I couldn't leave the room and go there. I am not whining, that's just life as a wedding photographer. I just need to improve at improvising shots on the spot.

Also. Your comment about "broad side / short side" light. Not sure why you brought that up? This photo is shot with short side light. That was what I wanted,

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

I hear you ... as a matter of fact I have been in the same situation. I too need to work on this....
It was more of breaking down a possible situation to practice.

Ask a friend or a couple of couples to model and work on this vary situation in a non-wedding day situation. thats all...
(with a given that all brides faces/bodies are different and we have to account for this.)

You mentioned how some of the more skilled shooters can pull this off as a go-to shot. I agree.
This kind of kicked my brain off into broad/short lighting and adjusting the head along with the shoulders.
going for a more dramatic portrait.
just my 2 cents....

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:10 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hit or Miss? (1 bride photo)

I like it, I am sure the bride will love it I do wonder what it would look like in B&W

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password