New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question for the 6D owners

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for the 6D owners

Curious question for you guys.

I currently have a 5D3 and am considering trading it for a 6D. IQ for both is phenomenal as is ISO performance. While I really don't need a FF camera, I love the look of images from it. I also do a lot of wildlife and have a 7D and will be adding a 400 5.6 shortly.

I've had the opportunity to shoot both and am equally pleased with what I see from both cameras. While the 6d is a lighter simplier camera, the size difference between the 2 doesn't bother me. The SS and sync limits on the 6d doesn't really bother me, however, I am a little concerned with the AF.

What pushed you guys to the 6D over the 5D3? Was it simply price or were their other features that one had/didn't have that were important to you?

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for the 6D owners

Price and size for me. For static subjects (which is pretty much all I shoot) I believe the IQ is essentially the same. With that in mind, I was happy to pay less and have less weight to lug around.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for the 6D owners

I bought a 6D instead of a 5DIII, because I already have a 1DX and 1DIV. Otherwise, I'd probably have two 5DIII. My 6D is a useful step up compared to the 5DII that it replaced, but it can't touch a 5DIII, unless you really need GPS and WiFi. The 6D centre AF point is a bit more sensitive in low light, but needing that is a fairly rare for most shooters, especially if you have an ST-E2/E3 or SpeedLite.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for the 6D owners

Size, gps, wireless...love the 6D.
Of course 5D3 is a much faster focusing camera if u need that.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for the 6D owners

kylebarendrick wrote:
Price and size for me. For static subjects (which is pretty much all I shoot) I believe the IQ is essentially the same. With that in mind, I was happy to pay less and have less weight to lug around.

I have both the 6D and the 5D3 and the IQ in RAW is very much the same up to the higher ISO's where the 6D wins.

I have rather fallen for the 6D, it is such a convenient camera in so many ways. Small. light, easy to use, almost a step back from the more complex 5D3 in use for when you don't need that complexity but with sublime image quallity. It just 'works'

I still use the 5D3 for much pro stuff but for personal use I rarely look further than the excellent 6D. My 5D2 hasn't had an outing for months

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
mikesjo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for the 6D owners

I have both and I find myself using the 6D in lower light situations at wedding receptions instead of the 5d3. The 6d just focuses faster in the dark. Images are comparable. Only thing that bugs me is I have to go into the menu to change the white balance on the 6d.

Info like having the dual card slots on the 5d3 as I use one for backup.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for the 6D owners

I shoot a lot at 6400 ISO, where the RAW detail and center point AF of the 6D is unmatched by any other FF or crop body.

My past experience is with 20D, 5D and 5Dmkii though, so I haven't been spoiled by a superior AF system. I'm not sure how going backwards to a 6D from a 7D/5D3 would feel.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for the 6D owners

mikesjo wrote:
Only thing that bugs me is I have to go into the menu to change the white balance on the 6d.

Well you can set it in about 3 seconds using the Q menu (which defaults to the last used item as well), but if you are shooting RAW you can just set the WB later during processing

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM
danb121
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for the 6D owners

I considered both 6D and 5DIII but the 6D won on most counts that were important to me, price, size, IQ, Low Light Focus, High ISO and wifi comes in handy; I don't shoot wildlife so FPS wasn't a big issue... as soon as the 6D was announced I knew that it was the camera for me and the camera that I was waiting for!

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:06 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for the 6D owners

For me it was strictly price. Wanted full frame and did not want to give up the reach advantage of the 7D so as a hobbyist I had to opt for the 6D. Would have rather had the 5D3 for the better focus and more focus options, but must admit the 6D has been a great choice for me.

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:45 PM
pwilly

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for the 6D owners

I also went with the 6D because of price. I was upgrading from a t2i, which I loved, so the 6D's AF wasn't a concern for me. Now that I've had it for about nine months, I haven't had any issues with the AF, and I've shot evertything from landscapes to action sports.

(Here are some photos I took at Steelers training camp a few weeks ago. I used the center focus point, AI Servo, with the 70-200 4L non-IS. And most of the photos are pretty heavily cropped because of where I was on the sidelines: http://www.steelerslounge.com/2013/08/photos-steelers-training-camp-2013/)

I've found that I love the wifi (didn't think I'd have a need for it), and while the sync speed could be faster, the 1/4000th shutter speed has never been an issue. I have no regrets with my 6D, and couldn't rationally justify the extra cost of a 5D3.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:02 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for the 6D owners

For me, it was the price. I was upgrading from a 450D. I tried out the 6D on a vacation before I bought it, and the AF did a great job, even in low light situations. I use the center AF point anyway.

Until that time, I was seriously considering a 5D3, but I decided that the extra $1K+ wasn't worth it. Sure, the 5D3 has some features that are "nice to have", but the overall bang for the buck went toward the 6D.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:59 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question for the 6D owners

I went through the 5D3 vs. 6D choice not too long ago. Both were within my allotted budget (the 6D would've allowed me to include the EF 24-105mm f/4 as part of the kit, which was desired but not essential, as I already have/was picking up other EF lenses).

The whole story and all the evolution in considerations are more complicated than I care to share right now (and I would hardly imagine it to be that interesting), but the short story was that after an initial wavering, there was never any doubt that I made a great decision for myself with the 6D over the 5D3. It came down to:

1) Feel, i.e. the fit of the camera in my hand with a mounted lens. The shorter grip-to-lens-center distance was more familiar to me, and allowed a more confident single-hand-wield when necessary.

2) Low-light performance, which given focusing endowments (-3EV center) and its high-ISO noise and DR characteristics, made it an exceptionally strong choice for much of my very-low-light shooting, both in and out of the Canon fold.

3) Weight, which originally wasn't a consideration I put much, uh... weight... in at the outset, as I had anticipated this camera system to be a short-range (not hiking for miles), low-agility (not class-4/5 climbing) choice in my quiver (I also have a fully-fleshed-out MILC system). But it has turned out that the 6D is light enough where anywhere my significant-other will go (an important constraint for many of us :P), it can go too without being a hindrance.

Like the Mist Trail/JMT lollipop.

Untitled by dtewsacrificial, on Flickr

4) EF 24-105mm f/4, which the substantial cost difference allowed it within my budget to acquire as part of the 6D kit. As it turns out, it's a pretty good one-lens-solution for those times when you want to only deal with one lens.

From the same hike as the above shot, with the same lens. Pretty much the extreme wide end (above) and extreme long end (below).

Untitled by dtewsacrificial, on Flickr

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.