Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync

Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync

Just wondering if High Speed Sync is brand specific (like TTL metering) or if it works with all brands. If I get a flash like the Nikon specific Vivitar 483 or Nissin Di866 and use it on an Olympus E-3 will the FP Sync/HSS work correctly?

Thanks,
Chris

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:18 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync

HSS/FP sync isn't triggered through the common center contact on the camera's hot shoe, but through the "special feature" pins. Canon and Nikon use different pin layouts, and so are not interoperable.

Fuji cameras used to use the same layout as Nikon, if I recall, but I don't know about Olympus; it looks the same as the Canon layout, but I don't know if each position carries the same data.

[Edit] According to some Web browsing, the pin layouts of Canon and Olympus are the same, but some users have reported that the foot-to-shoe fit of some third-party flash guns and radio triggers intended for Canon don't fit properly in the Olympus and Panasonic shoes, preventing good contact.

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync

Thanks Brian,
That was exactly the info I was looking for

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password