New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

Renier1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

I AFM tuned my 200-400 L today with the dot tune method on 3 camera bodies. The 5D MK 3 was a pleasure but took some time. The lens registered 4 different profile on the camera with the wide and telephoto individual values.

200-400 Bare: W +1, T +4
200-400 EXT: W +1, T+3
200-400 1.4 TC: W +4, T +8
200-400 EXT + 1.4 TC: W +5, T +/- 0

So works out very well with 4 profiles and 2 values each. But I bought a used 1D MK iv to use with the lens also for the extra reach but here is where the gremlins start to come out.

The lens only registers 2 profiles on this camera body, one for the 200-400 bare and with the internal extender. Only one profile. The other profile is registered when the external 1.4 TC is attached so irrespective of the internal extender being engages or not only one profile again. In both these profiles you only get to enter one value as there is no Wide or Tele value only one value for the lens. So you want to see the gremlins well here they are.

200-400 Bare: W 0, T 0. This worked out nicely but this is combined with the profile for the internal EXT.
200-400 EXT: W -3, T -8. So only one of the four values can be chosen range of 11 points and the range of in tune focus dots during the process is a range of 15 points. What to do.

200-400 + 1.4 TC: W -3, T +/-0. It is ok again the range of in focus confirmations are 15 points.
200-400 EXT + 1.4 TC: W -5, T -8. The range only 12 points this time for in focus confirmation, again only one of the four values can be used. Now lets say I attach the 1.4 TC because I want the reach, the value for the Tele end ranges from 0 to -8 with a 12 point spread of in focus confirmations in camera. Not an ideal situation.

The 7 D also only registers 1 profile with EXT and without all one profile. The amazing thing is that the four tested values on the 7D for W and T for the bare lens and with the EXT engaged is a range of 0 and +1.

Unfortunately the 1D MK iv was not as cooperative. Therefore to get the best from this lens you need the 1DX, 5 D3 or the 6D as I understand it might have the same registry in the AFM adjustments as the other 2 new camera bodies.

Renier

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

Good to know. Just in case.

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:52 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

Renier1 wrote:
I AFM tuned my 200-400 L today with the dot tune method on 3 camera bodies. The 5D MK 3 was a pleasure but took some time. The lens registered 4 different profile on the camera with the wide and telephoto individual values.

200-400 Bare: W +1, T +4
200-400 EXT: W +1, T+3
200-400 1.4 TC: W +4, T +8
200-400 EXT + 1.4 TC: W +5, T +/- 0

So works out very well with 4 profiles and 2 values each. But I bought a used 1D MK iv to use with the lens also for the extra reach but here is where
...Show more

Very informative, thanks for sharing. I am not surprised that there are hidden traps in very new gear pushing the consumer to use the latest cameras. Glad that I am not interested in any of the new gear mentioned here.

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

retrofocus wrote:
... I am not surprised that there are hidden traps in very new gear pushing the consumer to use the latest cameras. ...

I prefer to think they're new capabilities. Having the 5DIII (and I assume my 1DX and 6D) differentiate between internal and external Extenders on the 200-400/4(5.6)L IS is a good thing. The 1DIV came out long before the EF 200-400L IS, and the 7D before that. I don't know why one would expect them to have the same AFMA capabilities as contemporary cameras. Nobody complained that the improved AF and high ISO performance on the 1DX and 5DIII were "hidden traps".

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:33 AM
vivisha
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

Does the 1DlV have the latest firmware? I thought that the new firmware was supposed to make it more compatible with the new 200-400 lens.

Aug 16, 2013 at 09:38 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

jcolwell wrote:
I prefer to think they're new capabilities. Having the 5DIII (and I assume my 1DX and 6D) differentiate between internal and external Extenders on the 200-400/4(5.6)L IS is a good thing. The 1DIV came out long before the EF 200-400L IS, and the 7D before that. I don't know why one would expect them to have the same AFMA capabilities as contemporary cameras. Nobody complained that the improved AF and high ISO performance on the 1DX and 5DIII were "hidden traps".

Why shouldn't the AFMA with this and other new Canon lenses perform very similar or the same with older 1D cameras, the 7D or 5D MkII? The only reason there is simply a marketing reason to make the newer camera models more appealing to customers when getting a new lens.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

retrofocus wrote:
... I am not surprised that there are hidden traps in very new gear pushing the consumer to use the latest cameras. ...

jcolwell wrote:

retrofocus wrote:
Why shouldn't the AFMA with this and other new Canon lenses perform very similar or the same with older 1D cameras, the 7D or 5D MkII? The only reason there is simply a marketing reason to make the newer camera models more appealing to customers when getting a new lens.

I don't assume that the older cameras have the capacity to run the newer capabilities, especially the ability to store the increased number of configuration parameters (i.e. two values for each lens/extender combination, rather than one). As far as I can tell, Magic Lantern doesn't offer any enhanced AFMA capabilities for the 5DII, which is worth noting.

Also, my 1DIV can save only 20 AFMA settings for different lens/extender combinations, with one setting per zoom lens. My 1DX and 6D can save 40 AFMA settings, with two for each zoom lenses (W+T). I figure the limit of 20 on the 1DIV was due to hardware capacity, because lots of shooters (including me) would like to save more than 20 settings.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Renier1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

vivisha wrote:
Does the 1DlV have the latest firmware? I thought that the new firmware was supposed to make it more compatible with the new 200-400 lens.

Vivisha

Yes I upgraded the firmware at the same time as the camera was not able to drive the focus on the lens without the new firmware. There was just no selection in the drive mode on the top LCD as when the lens focus is switched to manual. I don't know why they couldn't have upgraded the AFM selection process with the firmware upgrade. I should think that it is only a software issue because much bigger changes have been made in resent firmware upgrades. Must be marketing or Canon might have just written off the older camera bodies. I wanted the 1D MK iv for reach only otherwise I would have gone for the 1DX but I already have a FF body.

Renier

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
vivisha
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

It's a shame that is the case, maybe you can send the 1DlV, lens and teleconverter to Canon and have them adjust the combination. Are you using a 1.4ll or 1.4lll converter?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Renier1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

vivisha wrote:
It's a shame that is the case, maybe you can send the 1DlV, lens and teleconverter to Canon and have them adjust the combination. Are you using a 1.4ll or 1.4lll converter?

This is a MK iii converter.

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:48 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buy new generation EOS if you buy 200-400L

Hi Renier,

I commented on this inability of the 7D/5dII to store setting a couple of months ago, when I had just received the 200-400. Great lens, but I decided to sell the 5DII and trade up to the 5DIII. Doing so solved a lot of problem. I just spent a couple days tweaking and tuning the lens with various combinations of extenders and focal lengths. It even works reasonably well with the 2x III, w/ or w/o the built in extender. Never needed more than 3 AFMA, most settings on 0. You gotta love this lens.

Not sure what to do about the 7D, though. I like the body and having a de facto 1.6x extender is useful. Decent birding lens (but that's not my thing). I wish Canon would hurry up with the 7DII.

Cheers, ...Dave

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.