Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Bear With Me!

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bear With Me!

We interrupt the string of Hawaiian themed posts for something decidedly more Albertan - images of a black bear (Ursus americanus). We were just leaving Crescent Falls Provincial Recreation Area when I saw this little guy foraging for buffalo berries. The bear was content to forage in our presence, so I snapped a few shots from the vehicle, through the open passenger window.

There didn't seem to be any mamma bear around, so I stepped out of the car to get a bit closer and a different angle. That cub was up the closest tree faster than Mr. Bolt could run. I snapped a few more then went back to the car as the cub came down the tree and headed a bit deeper into the woods. It was a very nice way to end the weekend.

All bear images taken hand held using 7D with 70 - 200mm. ISO 800, 1/250, f4. The bear was in open shade.

1. Gathering berries from the roadside buffalo berry bushes (Sherpherdia canadensis - aka soapberry)

2. Keeping a close eye on the humans. Another car went past, so he stopped eating and had a good look to evaluate the situation. I was glad the other vehicle didn't stop as I'm sure I would have missed the next sequence if it had.

3. Up the tree lickety split. Good thing it didn't go up me at that speed, but fortunately, most bears are totally non-aggressive most of the time, especially when they are young. Flight is easier than fight.

4. A little bit closer. That baleful look in the eyes is certainly not that of a fierce, determined predator (yet).

5. And a bit of a zoom in for a portrait shot. If only I could have done some "gardening" to remove the little branches.

I hope you enjoy the cute little ball of fur. The next few photos show what we went to see - two waterfalls. Both falls are quite neat in their own way.

A. The gallaxy of Siffleur Falls. This is a shot of spray rising from the falls, with the backdrop being a dark canyon wall. I think it looks a lot like a shot of the stars.

B. Crescent Falls. A really nice two tiered fall, but I needed to be there a bit earlier to avoid the heavy shading on the far canyon wall. The rock "floor" between the two falls is slightly tilted, which makes getting a horizontal image more interesting.

C. A closeup of Crescent Falls. This is a different take on the rule of thirds - 1/3 dark, 1/3 bright, 1/3 rainbow.

Two completely different subjects, both of which were fun to shoot, and just sit and watch. Please let me know your thoughts on any or all images.

Cheers!

Ken

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bear With Me!

....you made him bolt = you got too close simple as that. Not that you'll care about my opinion since you obviously place your own interests first.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bear With Me!

time2clmb wrote:
....you made him bolt = you got too close simple as that. Not that you'll care about my opinion since you obviously place your own interests first.

Opinions of other people are interesting to hear and think about. I don't always agree, or disagree. Lots of shades of grey in the world. Your shade is just one of them. Thanks for taking the time to appreciate the beauty of the animal and the scenery.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bear With Me!

Lovely shots of the bear!

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bear With Me!

Wow, very beautiful set, Ken. Love your bear. It is so cute. Have you thought its mama was watching you too? Great work and I do like your "Stars" shot.

- Tam

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
sdgnh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bear With Me!

Beautiful Bear Cub shots, Ken. I have to admit I was wondering if the Mama was watching you too. Glad you were safe. Those falls are incredible too.
Nancy

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bear With Me!

nice lookin set Ken

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:27 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bear With Me!

Ken, love them Bears, great job

-Tim

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:04 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bear With Me!

The interruption of regularly scheduled Hawaiian flora is delightful, Ken! (I enjoy the tropical flora also, but have not commented so much). A lot of personality comes through in those images of the cub; thanks for sharing.

And, the falls are also quite interesting...the images are not what one might see in a coffee table book, but, taken together, do a terrific job of conveying the feeling of being there. ~Greg

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:15 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bear With Me!

A great job on the bear Ken. The "stars" is a neat shot - I don't think it would have occurred to me to take the shot. The falls are lovely, and I'm glad you posted these ~ Ron

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bear With Me!

ChrisKayler wrote:
Lovely shots of the bear!

Many thanks Chris. Appreciated.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:31 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bear With Me!

canon.eos30d wrote:
Wow, very beautiful set, Ken. Love your bear. It is so cute. Have you thought its mama was watching you too? Great work and I do like your "Stars" shot.

- Tam

Many thanks Tam. With a bear that young, that was my first thought, so being in the car was the safe option. I only ventured out a bit later after not seeing other bears in the area. I checked the focal distances on the images, and I really didn't get any closer by being outside. Just a different angle, and I didn't have to shoot in front of my wife's face. Thank you also for noticing the Starts shot. The drops were bright due to the sun striking them, while the bg was in shade. Thought it looked neat.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:37 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bear With Me!

sdgnh wrote:
Beautiful Bear Cub shots, Ken. I have to admit I was wondering if the Mama was watching you too. Glad you were safe. Those falls are incredible too.
Nancy

Glad you could stop in Nancy. I appreciate you leaving comments. Mamma was nowhere in sight, and I had a feeling this youngster was recently venturing out on its own. Looked healthy, and behaved "healthy".

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:40 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bear With Me!

kmunroe wrote:
nice lookin set Ken

Thank you Kenny!

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:40 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bear With Me!

tfoltz wrote:
Ken, love them Bears, great job

-Tim

Many thanks Tim. I quite like how a few of the shots turned out too.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:42 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bear With Me!

Plinian wrote:
The interruption of regularly scheduled Hawaiian flora is delightful, Ken! (I enjoy the tropical flora also, but have not commented so much). A lot of personality comes through in those images of the cub; thanks for sharing.

And, the falls are also quite interesting...the images are not what one might see in a coffee table book, but, taken together, do a terrific job of conveying the feeling of being there. ~Greg

I really appreciate your comments Greg. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:43 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bear With Me!

Wonderful shots Ken ! Love the 1,2 and 5 of the cub. Especially one with that tongue getting those berries.
Love the "stars" I actually thought that what they were.

Birdie

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:48 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bear With Me!

surfnron wrote:
A great job on the bear Ken. The "stars" is a neat shot - I don't think it would have occurred to me to take the shot. The falls are lovely, and I'm glad you posted these ~ Ron

Thank you very much for the kind words Ron. I am certainly no landscape photographer, so anything that turns out remotely well is satisfying. Zooming in on the details, even if they are only drops of water, is where I always look for opportunity (especially when there is interesting light).

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:50 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bear With Me!

Ken,
How awesome that must of been!
Great captures of the bear!!
BeeBalm

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bear With Me!

How lucky you are Ken to be able to take a break from Hawaii flora and have shots of a bear! You captured some great looks from him. I would love to have those shots. The "stars" of the falls is awfully well seen, what a wonderful illusion that is. I might even crop some of the sky out the stair step falls shot, the lower falls makes for a great subject with the upper falls playing a supporting role. Lot's of opportunities there for sure, I would be heading back there if I were you!!!! Great set Ken!

Tim

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.