Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

nreeque
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

I have 3 modifiers I use a deep octa a square softbox as well as the long strip box 20-51" in the past ive used them in big spaces so it was never an issue but now I'm looking at working in smaller spaces and looking at these Hooded diffusers

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612109-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26325_Hooded_Diffuser_for_Rotalux.html

Any of you have any experience with these in your elinchrom workflow? since they are not used with the front diffuser im wondering how that affects the light compared to other boxes that use grids? If you have any images, post them?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:36 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

If you can afford to, I'd go with these http://www.lighttools.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=32295. The hooded diffusers effectively make the modifier smaller with what amounts to barn doors controlling spill, whereas these are true grids and they are available in different strengths.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

I have the hooded diffusers for all my Elinchrom boxes and they work very well. By the way the front diffuser is part of the hood. It's a one piece thing.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they reduce the size of the front area of the softbox and they are not simple to install. If you leave your softboxes assembled it's a non issue..

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:14 PM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

Thanks both for confirming what I was right thinking about the way the hoods would affect the box characteristics. I am not entirely sure i want to limit the height as much as I want to limit the spill behind and in front (specially in the large strip box that I use for head to toe). Then again a grid would have very similar light control (sorta kinda)

@tedwca I have actually seen lighttools equipment website before but Im not entirely convinced of those prices. Since business for me is shrinking not expanding.

@Gregg Heckler, you mean the hood comes with its own center piece its not just a black skirt that sits against the silver? does the middle connect with the snaps to the inner baffle holders? Where I live no one sells the stuff so I cant see it in person.

I wonder if this would be a better choice. I might be able to DIY something like this by making really thin internal blinders (maybe)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/246863-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26270_Strip_Diffuser_Mask.html

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:35 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

This should help you out.

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:56 PM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

tedwca wrote:
This should help you out.

MAN, I had been looking for something like that for a while now, don't know how i missed it, Im typically a good googler. Thanks for link indeed, it clears up the install confusion.

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

"@Gregg Heckler, you mean the hood comes with its own center piece its not just a black skirt that sits against the silver? does the middle connect with the snaps to the inner baffle holders? Where I live no one sells the stuff so I cant see it in person."

The black "hood" and diffuser material are one piece. It replaces your existing outer diffuser.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elinchrom Modifiers Spill Control?

Thank you all for helping me clear this up. I will order one of those hooded diffusers to try it out.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:22 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.