Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

..........................Hopefully.

5th one is a charm?....

Bought from Lensrentals' spinoff Lensauthority. Spoke with the owner Scott, his email on the matter is as follows:

"Back when the D800 problem became news, Lens Rentals pulled every D800 they had and tested them specifically for that problem. All copies that exhibited the aberrant behavior were sent to Nikon for repair.

Additionally, the techs who test the equipment immediately prior to posting on Lens Authority run the D800's through that same test again. So the D800's we have for sale should not have the defect."

....Sounds good, right? Keeping fingers crossed anyway.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

why don't you just buy new form

that gives you the option to send it back as many times as you please rather than losing money reselling gear that is not up to specs

Anyhow, hopefully your fifth one will be ok

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:03 PM
guyharrison
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

Just bought a new d800e with extended warranty. AS it happens, the AF is perfect across all points with no focus issues at all and just a sharp as live view on my 24-70 at 24mm and 2.8

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:19 PM
guyharrison
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

Just bought a new d800e with extended warranty. AS it happens, the AF is perfect across all points with no focus issues at all and just a sharp as live view on my 24-70 at 24mm and 2.8

Stories like yours make me glad I bought new from a dealer with a good return policy even though as it turned out I didn't need it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:20 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

Guari wrote:
why don't you just buy new form

that gives you the option to send it back as many times as you please rather than losing money reselling gear that is not up to specs

Anyhow, hopefully your fifth one will be ok

$2800 is why I don't buy new...and also I don't really ENJOY sending cameras back, so if it does have a problem then I will be absolutely no better off than if I had bought used instead. Plus, a new camera will be untested and very possibly might have the same AF problem.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

New cameras are untested but are less likely to have the AF problem because it was finally recognised and fixed in about September 2012. Used cameras could predate that and are therefore more likely to be affected.

I assume we're talking about the left-sensor focus not matching the centre and right sensors. Other problems are probably just random production glitches rather than a design problem.

- Alan

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:05 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

Not sure how you solved the AF issue. The title would make it sound like you had come up with a "Fix" for the AF issue... you didn't fix the issue, you simply figured out a way to purchase a D800 where you would know the camera would not have the issue... but you didn't fix it...

Jim

Aug 18, 2013 at 05:11 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

JimFox wrote:
Not sure how you solved the AF issue. The title would make it sound like you had come up with a "Fix" for the AF issue... you didn't fix the issue, you simply figured out a way to purchase a D800 where you would know the camera would not have the issue... but you didn't fix it...

Jim

Although that is basically correct, I have in fact solved the issue for myself...and after going through four D800s with only one good one out of them all, I really needed to SOLVE it before getting another one.

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

form wrote:
Although that is basically correct, I have in fact solved the issue for myself...and after going through four D800s with only one good one out of them all, I really needed to SOLVE it before getting another one.

Ha ha... true

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:34 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

And...the problem is 99.5% SOLVED.

Top left point (more up than left) is a little "dumber" than the other points...more prone to miss with my 35 f/1.4g...but it DOES lock on the correct plane sometimes and the rest also do.

So I'm pretty satisfied with this D800. Finally.

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

I can find something wrong with everything I've owned or had.

Especially ex-girlfriends...

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:55 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

form wrote:
And...the problem is 99.5% SOLVED.

Top left point (more up than left) is a little "dumber" than the other points...more prone to miss with my 35 f/1.4g...but it DOES lock on the correct plane sometimes and the rest also do.

So I'm pretty satisfied with this D800. Finally.

Glad you found a good one Form. FYI, I bought a second D800 body during the Robert's ebay sale. Got it last night and it is free of the Left AF Issue. Arrived with 2k clicks.

Aug 20, 2013 at 06:57 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

Got mine for slightly less, though 19k clicks.

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:07 PM
tsitalon1

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

I don't care what anyone says, the AF problem is real.

I went through 6 d800's both new and refurb until I find a keeper. Mine is spot on now.

The funny thing is I saw exposure differences in some of them too!

Wake up Nikon!!

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I have solved the D800 AF problem...

ckcarr wrote:
I can find something wrong with everything I've owned or had.

Especially ex-girlfriends...

+ 9,999

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password