Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · D600 Sensor

Buffalonian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D600 Sensor

You seriously are missing out on great savings.

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D600 Sensor

pburke wrote:
$1440 at Nikon today

(...) if there's really a D610 coming (...)

what

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D600 Sensor

Guari wrote:
what

you gotta keep up with the Nikon rumors threads

Aug 30, 2013 at 04:04 PM
tzic

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D600 Sensor

pburke wrote:
$1440 at Nikon today

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.281556900

if there's really a D610 coming, this may get even cheaper, and the used prices will tumble. Love it. There's nothing the D610 will do better that I need, but with the subsequent price drop I can finally pick up a second D600 body, all because of a little dirt on the sensor.

I "invested" into a wet cleaning kit because of the issue, so in a way the "problem" has made my D600 the camera with the cleanest sensor I ever owned. Funny how these things work out - some people panic and send cameras
...Show more

Which wet cleaning kit did you get? Would you characterize the procedure as easy for the average user?

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:27 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D600 Sensor

pburke wrote:
I "invested" into a wet cleaning kit because of the issue, so in a way the "problem" has made my D600 the camera with the cleanest sensor I ever owned. Funny how these things work out - some people panic and send cameras to repair, complain on the internet, and others get huge discounts and learn how to clean the thing.

I've had the camera for almost a year now. I've wet cleaned the sensor 5 times since then. I'm still getting a ton of dust/oil spots in the top left of the frame. I think I'm finally sending it back.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:36 PM
jc9394
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D600 Sensor

beaveras wrote:
Your correct. I do not want to wet clean the sensor. I am leaning towards the D800

I just wet cleaned the D800E sensor last night, it is fairly simple process. I was scared to dead and use PS to clone out the spot until lately I noticed more dusts collected. I think I changes lens too often.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:49 PM
jc9394
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D600 Sensor

ytwong wrote:
Nikon Hong Kong is quicker...12days (not business days, including 2 weekends)

Service report says shutter replaced

I heard they do sensor cleaning on the same day if they are not that busy. Will try my luck next time I visit HK.

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:20 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D600 Sensor

tzic wrote:
Which wet cleaning kit did you get? Would you characterize the procedure as easy for the average user?

The Copper Hill 18mm kit is what I bought, but other products are all about the same. Search Youtube for some videos how to do it. It's more than simple to do.

Remember, you're not cleaning the sensor, but the anti-alias glass filter on top of it. Everyone is paranoid about damaging the sensor, when what you're really dealing with is a piece of glass on top of it.

The first time I did it I went through about 5 swabs to get it clean. After that I cleaned more frequently and now it's one swab every 1000-2000 frames.

There is a finite amount of "gunk" the shutter can throw on the sensor/anti-alias filter. The more you shoot, the less it will produce the stuff that requires wet cleaning. The things that get on from normal use usually can be blown off (I use pressurized air, I know they all say don't, but if you know how to use these cans without squirting out fluid, it'll do just fine and save you from buying some silly $30 air blower tool). Some folks invest into expensive loupes to analyze the sensor, and if you're real anal, go for it, but the good ones are almost $100

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:28 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D600 Sensor

jc9394 wrote:
I heard they do sensor cleaning on the same day if they are not that busy. Will try my luck next time I visit HK.

it only takes 3 minutes when you do it yourself.

See what it takes in this video

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:31 PM
jc9394
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D600 Sensor

I do it myself with copper hill products but just want it professional do it once, it is much cheaper in HK than here.

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pburke
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D600 Sensor

jc9394 wrote:
I do it myself with copper hill products but just want it professional do it once, it is much cheaper in HK than here.

do you think they do anything different? Other than having a lot of experience, the process will most likely be the same, and possibly done in a hurry

I learned a long time ago that to get something done right, you gotta do it yourself. For example, I thermoformed some ski boot liners in my own kitchen oven, and it always worked fine, but when I bought my last pair of boots, I decided to have some pros do it, for a lot of money. Well, the end result was so bad, I had to do it over, using my own method.

Maybe sensors aren't ski boots, but in both cases experience and knowing the process matters, but also the "it is MY camera" and your full attention may actually produce better results than a quick job between bigger jobs in a repair shop. Let the new apprentice do the camera sensor cleaning while the real expert deals with the fancy projects...

Aug 31, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D600 Sensor

I just got a Refurb a couple weeks back It had dust on the sensor out of the box Easy to clean the camera files are sooooooo awesome I could care less

Aug 31, 2013 at 05:11 PM
jc9394
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D600 Sensor

pburke wrote:
do you think they do anything different? Other than having a lot of experience, the process will most likely be the same, and possibly done in a hurry

I learned a long time ago that to get something done right, you gotta do it yourself. For example, I thermoformed some ski boot liners in my own kitchen oven, and it always worked fine, but when I bought my last pair of boots, I decided to have some pros do it, for a lot of money. Well, the end result was so bad, I had to do it over, using my own
...Show more

Maybe not but they have the experience to check other components that I so no have experience with. I agreed on doing yourself probably the best but sometimes they may have different cleaning methods that we are not aware of.

Aug 31, 2013 at 05:15 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D600 Sensor

Does anyone know if I have to send the camera back to Nikon within 1 year of purchase (under warranty) to get it fixed without charge? I bought the camera October 10, 2012 but have A LOT of shooting to do until October 10th of this year. I'd rather send it in later.

Just wondering if Nikon has acknowledged this sensor problem and would repair it for free after the warranty is up.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 01, 2013 at 06:23 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D600 Sensor

beaveras wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the D800 for under $2200.00. However, I don't buy anything refurbished. I lean toward new so I'll bite the dust (no pun intended) and pick up a new one. Dust spots is one thing but I'm not dealing with oil spots and neither should anyone who purchased these cameras.
Thanks

Folks like you are the reason I got my refurbished D700 (6 clicks) and D800 (29 clicks) for hundreds off list. The D800 came with a 1 year warranty, just like a new camera.

Sep 01, 2013 at 07:09 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D600 Sensor

Wet cleaned the sensor last month and did a test afterwards and only a few spots remained. Look what came back:

Sep 02, 2013 at 06:18 PM
tzic

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D600 Sensor

NickHenderson wrote:
Wet cleaned the sensor last month and did a test afterwards and only a few spots remained. Look what came back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/soybomb/DSC_4253.jpg

This is immediately after the wet cleaning or a month and thousands of shots have passed since the cleaning? Just asking. Either way its unacceptable...

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:05 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D600 Sensor

This is about 500 shots after I did a clean (and f/22 test and only saw a few spots).

Sep 02, 2013 at 07:17 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D600 Sensor

The D600 sensor comes lubed for your pleasure.

Sep 03, 2013 at 04:25 PM
richuwo11

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D600 Sensor

NickHenderson wrote:
This is about 500 shots after I did a clean (and f/22 test and only saw a few spots).

That's pretty bad. I only have 1 dark spot and two or three very faint ones after about 5-6k clicks. I still have not wet cleaned yet, although I have the Copper Hill kit. Was going to wait until it got worse, but I haven't noticed any new spots in a while.

Sep 03, 2013 at 05:18 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password