Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · D600 Sensor

SAng
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D600 Sensor

I am completely with DJ in that I'd make the choice based on what features I needed. I also have a D600 that isn't unduly dirty, as several other posters here. Most sensors do need cleaning, as I think you'll find whichever choice you make.

You seem decided on the D800, in spite of what everyone else has had to say, so I'd just go ahead and buy it. I don't think you'd regret it.

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:28 AM
mfletch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D600 Sensor

Is there a DSLR on the market that never needs the sensor to be cleaned?

Aug 16, 2013 at 02:44 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D600 Sensor

mfletch wrote:

Actually I have never wet cleaned my D700. But I have cleaned D100, D70, D40, D200... (D300 sold before it needs cleaning, D5000 just got to little use...)

The D600 oil/dusty sensor is real, I just sent mine (after months of use) to Nikon yesterday. Hopefully it is a thing in the pass for me ....well, except when I deal with thousands of RAW files taken during my 2 overseas trips.

I'm not aware of any official announcement on the issue, but I think Nikon actually implicitly admitted the issue.

Buy anyway, the D600 is sweat. It's not the best body, not the best in any particular area, but it does everything very well, and I could deal with its shortcomings (like AF not as good as D700). Its IQ, size, weight is for now the best compromise for MY use, YMMV.

Edited on Aug 16, 2013 at 03:39 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D600 Sensor

mfletch wrote:

No. If you are changing lenses sooner or later every sensor will need cleaning. It's no biggie, people make too much of it, so long as it's not too often !

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:15 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D600 Sensor

mfletch wrote:

The ones that never left the box

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:20 AM
mfletch
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D600 Sensor

I've had my D700 for 5 yrs and have never wet cleaned it either. I just use a rocket blower occasionally and don't have dust in my photos. If I wanted to test shot at f22 to search for them, sure, I would find dust. But this never makes it into my photos. I wet cleaned the D600 after about 1500 clicks. If I need to clean it occasionally, fine. If I don't, even better. Every DSLR sensor is going to get some dust. Cleaning, whether blowing, brush, swab, should be an accepted part of owning and using such a camera.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:50 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D600 Sensor

The d600 I had didn't have any dust / oil issue at all. The files out of that thing are done of the best I've seen behind the d800. Either camera will serve you well in all honesty. The sensors in the two are def insane. The dr you get in situations that required multiple exposures you will probably just need one. Just buy which ever suits your needs. Eventually I'm sure you'll have to clean a sensor if you go either way it's part of owning a camera

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
thorn79

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D600 Sensor

DeweyB1 wrote:
I have owned a D800 since May and I just had to take it in to get it cleaned. I noticed some spots on my sensor while I was in Alaska. I tried to clean it but I couldn't get the spots to go away. I finally gave in and took it to a pro. I was told that both the D600 and D800 have some oil spot issues. I just got a call saying that it was clean. Not sure of the cost but I hope the oil spot issue is behind me.

I bought a D600 from Costco and after about a 1,000 shots there were a ton of spots. I used a rocket blower and it didn't help. I returned it and got a D800 in Feb. There were some spots on the D800 after about 2000 shots and I first tried the rocket blower and then a wet clean swab. I ended up smearing something all over the sensor where the spots were. I tried a couple more swabs and it didn't help. I took it to a local camera shop and they cleaned it. They made a comment that there was something like oil on the sensor. I have over 9000 shots now without any more oil spots.

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:44 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D600 Sensor

I've never cleaned my D700. But I don't really go past f8 and I don't shoot a lot of blue skies or white walls.

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:01 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D600 Sensor

I bought the D600 the very first week it was released. Lots of dust/oil spots on the first 1k shots. Wet cleaned it and it's been fine since. I'm about 5k shots in, and there's still some spots that show up at f/22, but I think that's normal.

It's an incredible camera. Every camera needs its sensor cleaned if you shoot a lot outdoors and change lenses all the time. Get used to it.

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ghostinz
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D600 Sensor

I never noticed spots on my D600 until I ran it through a F/22 test. Sent it in. Nikon replaced the shutter mechanism and the sensor. So far, no problems. Great camera, and I like the size over the D800 and I also like the fact that I can put it into Auto mode and have two customizable shooting modes. People might laugh at the auto mode, but it comes in handy, especially if my daughter is using it to take a few candid family shots.

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:51 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D600 Sensor

^how long did that whole process take, sending it in?

Aug 17, 2013 at 06:28 PM
grimace3

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D600 Sensor

@op. if i were you i would purposefully look for used cameras if you don't feel like cleaning up lubricant from the sensor. after a certain amount of shots the problem will go away. so its better to buy a used camera that has already been cleaned. At least thats the way i see it.

Aug 17, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Ghostinz
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D600 Sensor

NickHenderson wrote:
^how long did that whole process take, sending it in?

about 3 weeks

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:04 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D600 Sensor

Reviving this thread with a question.

B&H has refurb D600's for around $1,600. We can't know for certain but could the sensor issue have been remedied during the refurbishment process?

Also, is is just a cleaning that needs to be done in order to fix the oil/dust? If so, why is this "issue" being made out to be recall-necessary?

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D600 Sensor

sensor gets dirty, you clean it. Over time, it gets less and less dirty. Everything else is internet megaphone effect.

Mine is at 5500 clicks and I barely get any spots after 1000+ clicks since last cleaning. No different from any other camera.

Refurb for $1600 isn't that great of a price unless they throw a lot of other stuff in.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D600 Sensor

I currently have a D600 and a D7100. So far both seem to collect dust and oil spots a bit more than my last cameras (D7000, D90), but I had to clean those too. Overall I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure to take a cleaning kit on any extended trips.

Aug 29, 2013 at 01:10 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D600 Sensor

Ghostinz wrote:
about 3 weeks

Nikon Hong Kong is quicker...12days (not business days, including 2 weekends)

Service report says shutter replaced

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:32 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D600 Sensor

Nikon service throughout Asia is impressive.

Aug 29, 2013 at 09:46 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D600 Sensor

$1440 at Nikon today

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.281556900

if there's really a D610 coming, this may get even cheaper, and the used prices will tumble. Love it. There's nothing the D610 will do better that I need, but with the subsequent price drop I can finally pick up a second D600 body, all because of a little dirt on the sensor.

I "invested" into a wet cleaning kit because of the issue, so in a way the "problem" has made my D600 the camera with the cleanest sensor I ever owned. Funny how these things work out - some people panic and send cameras to repair, complain on the internet, and others get huge discounts and learn how to clean the thing.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:07 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password