Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

D600 Sensor

beaveras
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D600 Sensor

Possibly just got interested in a D600 / D800. Been reading about trouble with the D600 sensors. Can anyone tell me if Nikon has resolved this issue or is the problem still the same. Does this issue occur with the D800 or is that sensor OK. Don't want to deal with cleaning. If so, I'll go with the D800. Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM
hijazist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D600 Sensor

beaveras wrote:
Don't want to deal with cleaning. If so, I'll go with the D800. Thanks

I'd go with a D800 in a heartbeat if that's the case

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #3 · D600 Sensor

If you shoot a lot, expect to clean it alot regardless of camera. The D600 seems to be worse the others in the beginning. Mine was no exception. The first cleaning at about 3k photos was the worst. The second was still a bit heavy about 4k shots later. The rest have been pretty much every 3-5k shots but it's pretty standard particulation. It's about the same as my last SLR (Canon). I don't regret the D600. It makes some very nice prints.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #4 · D600 Sensor

I actually called and got thru to the correct tech dept at Nikon USA to pose this question about the 600 and 7000. He said it was a thing of the past, but when i pressed he never acknowledged the issues were anything more than dust, and that the reported incidents were at such a small rate that there was never a consideration to do a recall. So take this reply with a grain of salt. I did just buy a new D7000 and ran a bunch of pics thru and there is no dirty sensor or back/front focus issue whatsoever. I tend to think, and I could be wrong, that even though there's seemingly allot of cameras with these issues on the web, the perspective I have is that it is still very small. How many people buy one and spread all over the web that their camera, car, lawnmower, whatever works just fine, the bad reports propogate out more widespread. Case in point, I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado. The internet complaints spread like wildfire about what huge oil consumption my model has with the 5.3 with cylinder deactivation feature. Mine is just fine and millions of these were made. Good luck, sometimes ya just gotta' roll the dice I guess. On the flip side, nikon recalled a huge batch of batteries with only having seven reports worldwide, but the fact that they could melt and cause a fire was the difference rather than the worst case a lousy picture. Who knows...

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:05 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · D600 Sensor

hijazist wrote:
I'd go with a D800 in a heartbeat if that's the case

But if the OP changes lenses at all, one still has to clean the D800... I have both, the D800 I check regularly since I shoot the most with it and change the lenses the most. I am cleaning dust off the sensor several times a month. No big deal, been cleaning sensors on DSLR's for years now, it's part of owning a DSLR.

WIth the D800 though I only have to use the Visibledust Artic Butterfly, it works like a charm. But with the D600 it's oil that get's on the sensor, so it's wet cleaning to clean it up. I checked and had to clean mine after every trip. I don't shoot it as much, but I had to clean mine first at approx 1000 shots, and about every 1000 shots since. It's close to 4000 shots now and the oil spray has lessened. But it's still hitting especially the upper left corner.

But again to the OP... no matter what DSLR you buy, you will have to clean your sensor if you change lenses.

Jim

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:13 PM
grimace3

p.1 #6 · D600 Sensor

I am actually in the same exact situation as the OP. I'm like 65/35 leaning towards D800. Whats great about the D800 is its relatively low price for a new generation DSLR. $2200 body only seems to be the going price. If the D600 had no issues I would buy it without even glancing at the D800. But with this lubricant issue i cant help but look at other options. I don't want to clean my sensor every 1000 shots, that seems like too much. I also read somewhere that cleaning the sensor too much is bad for your camera...

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:45 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #7 · D600 Sensor

JimFox wrote:
But if the OP changes lenses at all, one still has to clean the D800... I have both, the D800 I check regularly since I shoot the most with it and change the lenses the most. I am cleaning dust off the sensor several times a month. No big deal, been cleaning sensors on DSLR's for years now, it's part of owning a DSLR.

WIth the D800 though I only have to use the Visibledust Artic Butterfly, it works like a charm. But with the D600 it's oil that get's on the sensor, so it's wet cleaning to clean it up.
...Show more

That was exactly my point, if he is not willing to wet clean himself every once in a while then I'd avoid the D600. It's a great camera with an attitude

Edited on Aug 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.1 #8 · D600 Sensor

The dust/oil issue on the D600 is somewhat overblown. I had to deal with it myself and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. You'll be missing out on one hell of a body if you decide to avoid it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #9 · D600 Sensor

I bought a used D600 with about 1500 clicks on it. I checked it before I bought it and didn't see any signs of oil spots. My D7000 had quite a lot of oil spots at 15k clicks but I never saw them until another shooter used my camera and was shooting at f22. I usually shoot in the f5.6 range and the spots weren't noticeable.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM
beaveras
• •
p.1 #10 · D600 Sensor

Your correct. I do not want to wet clean the sensor. I am leaning towards the D800

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beaveras
• •
p.1 #11 · D600 Sensor

Where can you get a D800 for $2200.00?

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #12 · D600 Sensor

Here on b&s forum

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #13 · D600 Sensor

I had to clean the sensor on my d600 when I purchased about a year ago. I haven't had to clean it since though.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Jack Brinn

p.1 #14 · D600 Sensor

At 1400 clicks and after several attempts to wet clean the sensor, I sent my D600 to Nikon in Los Angeles. They replaced the shutter mechanism. Haven't used it enough yet to determine if the issue will return. Otherwise, I love the images!

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
grimace3

p.1 #15 · D600 Sensor

right here there is someone selling for less than $2200. that seems to be the normal price. Plenty of people around me on craigslist sell for $2000 flat. avoid ebay, they typically go for more money there. Im assuming its a combination of sellers needing to make up the fees and bidders that get excited on auctions lol

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · D600 Sensor

I got one of the very first D600's in this area and have had to wet clean the sensor once in the time I've had it. I don't personally see a big deal with occasional wet cleans, it really isn't rocket science, and I've never owned a body that was immune to occasional stubborn dust anyway. Wet swab kits are cheap, and effective. Beyond that, a good rocket blower and away you go. I don't find the D600 attracts spots any worse than any previous body I've owned. To me, I'd buy the camera with the features you're after at the price point you're after and don't worry about any single internet forum story. That's just me.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #17 · D600 Sensor

Actually here's one as we are speaking

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234036

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM
DeweyB1

p.1 #18 · D600 Sensor

I have owned a D800 since May and I just had to take it in to get it cleaned. I noticed some spots on my sensor while I was in Alaska. I tried to clean it but I couldn't get the spots to go away. I finally gave in and took it to a pro. I was told that both the D600 and D800 have some oil spot issues. I just got a call saying that it was clean. Not sure of the cost but I hope the oil spot issue is behind me.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM
beaveras
• •
p.1 #19 · D600 Sensor

Thanks for pointing out the D800 for under $2200.00. However, I don't buy anything refurbished. I lean toward new so I'll bite the dust (no pun intended) and pick up a new one. Dust spots is one thing but I'm not dealing with oil spots and neither should anyone who purchased these cameras.
Thanks

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
grimace3

p.1 #20 · D600 Sensor

dj dunzie wrote:
I got one of the very first D600's in this area and have had to wet clean the sensor once in the time I've had it. I don't personally see a big deal with occasional wet cleans, it really isn't rocket science, and I've never owned a body that was immune to occasional stubborn dust anyway. Wet swab kits are cheap, and effective. Beyond that, a good rocket blower and away you go. I don't find the D600 attracts spots any worse than any previous body I've owned. To me, I'd buy the camera with the features you're after
...Show more

I wouldn't call the D600's lubricant issue a "forum story". Its a pretty well documented problem with the D600. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cY30lEMv8o try mythbusting that.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password