FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Medium Format Film Scanning

Tyson Egbert
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Medium Format Film Scanning

This may not be the right place to ask this question but it does have to do with weddings. My own wedding was shot 12 years ago on medium format film and I need to have them scanned. I want to make an album for my wife for our upcoming anniversary. Where is the best affordable place to have this done? Anyone have any experience in this arena? I did some searching first and was unsuccessful in finding anything on the subject on the forum. Thanks

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:59 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Medium Format Film Scanning

Your easiest option would be to contact a developing lab for them to scan the film. You can get a scanner and do it yourself, but it is very time consuming and requires lots of trial and error to get it right. Unless scanning is something you think you would enjoy, I would leave it to the experienced to handle it.

Here is the link to the scanning price page for the lab I use (since my local lab closed last year)
http://stores.prophotoirvine.com/-strse-template/labservices/Page.bok

There are other options, of course, and there are a handful of people on here who shoot film as well that might have better input.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:21 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Medium Format Film Scanning

PPI is good and probably the best best since you're on the west coast. I've also had good experiences with PhotoVision and Indie Film Lab. Those are the only 3 labs I'll send my film to.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Tyson Egbert
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Medium Format Film Scanning

Thanks for the info so far! I will look into these options. I am hoping to find something less than $10 per scan for cut film.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM
phillip ino
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Medium Format Film Scanning

http://indiefilmlab.com/pricing

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:00 PM
iunknown2008
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Medium Format Film Scanning

What about getting a light table and taking photos with your camera? Or is that too time consuming?
http://www.amazon.com/Gagne-Port-A-Trace-1-Light-Stainless-Lightbox/dp/B0010CJJZE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1376606159&sr=8-11&keywords=light+table

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Medium Format Film Scanning

iunknown2008 wrote:
What about getting a light table and taking photos with your camera? Or is that too time consuming?

I have considered doing something like that for my film using a high-megapixel DSLR along with a macro lens, set on a tripod. My biggest concern is will that be a lot of work for a whole roll or two or three of film.

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:19 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Medium Format Film Scanning

I scan my own with an Epson flatbed scanner. It's not as good as drum scanning or a dedicated film scanner, but is plenty good for quite large prints-especially album size. You could scan them at 2400 dpi. The two time consuming things in scanning are the actual scanning and then the cleaning of dust off the scans. Just depends on the time you have and your talent to scan/retouch.

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:38 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Medium Format Film Scanning

JohnBrose wrote:
I scan my own with an Epson flatbed scanner. It's not as good as drum scanning or a dedicated film scanner, but is plenty good for quite large prints-especially album size. You could scan them at 2400 dpi. The two time consuming things in scanning are the actual scanning and then the cleaning of dust off the scans. Just depends on the time you have and your talent to scan/retouch.

He just wants to scan some old negatives from his wedding. I think he's better off just using a service than buying a scanner and learning scanning technique for a handful of negatives.

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.