Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

agelessphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Me and my wife both do weddings together. I usually go Khaki's and a nice polo or button up shirt. However we raised our prices and plan to do so again soon. We are finally starting to get more upper class clients. I am thinking I should probably invest on a casual suit to make a more professional impression. What do you guys think? Also would it be a wise idea to do the same when I meet them at a restaurant to talk to them about going with us?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

One dresses for the job one wants and never for the job one has

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
agelessphotog
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Also should I be getting darker pants since I have to get on the ground and in the grass sometimes?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Personally I rock a shirt, tie and waistcoat instead of suit jacket. Always found a jacket got in the way too much and a waistcoat offers a similar level of smartness. Just make sure they're really high quality, you don't want to look like a waiter!

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Black slacks, shoes, socks, nice button-up shirt. That's how I dress for most weddings...

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM
photosymbol
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Agelessphotog, do you have a website? Just trying to see the types of wedding you shoot...

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

I always wear a suit to weddings (unless it's a beach wedding or special attire requested). Black or navy slacks with a white shirt and plenty of spares in the trunk in the case of excess sweat, stains, or tears.

I always prefer to be dressed one level ahead of everyone else for all of my wedding, event, and corporate assignments.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

So just a quick note to say that I always dress to fit in with everyone there. If it's a casual wedding I might dress down a bit, if it's ultra formal I'll dress up. Basically I always want to be seen as a guest rather than a worker. I find that really lowers peoples guard and allows me to get more intimate, closer photos. I've also found a lot of couples/guests really appreciate it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

I like to wear a jacket when I can but much of the year it's unbearably hot for that so the jacket stays in the car or ends up on a chair or on top of my bag somewhere. However, to answer the question, yes... there is no downside to dressing professionally. I care more about impressing the vendors I work with than looking like one of their friends. I want to dress *appropriate* for the level of formality, but that tends to not vary much from wedding to wedding for me at least.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

I wear a suit (or most of it) at every wedding. I bring the jacket but don't wear it in the summer months. Sometime I'll wear the jacket during ceremonies, but only if there's air conditioning. No A/C, no jacket. I do wear the shirt and tie (loosened) throughout the day.

As far as "investing" goes, I have yet to pay more than $90 for a nice wedding suit. I have a closet full of designers (Ralph Lauren, Louis Rafael, Hilfiger, etc.) that I picked up pretty cheaply from places like Marshall's and TJMaxx. Marshall's tends to have a better selection and a larger variety of sizes.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

maxwell1295 wrote:
I have yet to pay more than $90 for a nice wedding suit. I have a closet full of designers (Ralph Lauren, Louis Rafael, Hilfiger, etc.) that I picked up pretty cheaply from places like Marshall's and TJMaxx.

I had thought designer suits would cost a lot more than that! I remember one time trying on a nice suit at the mall and the clothier told me it was around 500 bucks.

At any rate, I think if you are going to wear a suit, it should be something nice and fashionable.

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:23 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Wouldn't wear anything else.

- trr

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:27 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Wow. It's obvious none of you guys live in Florida.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:29 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

D. Diggler wrote:
I had thought designer suits would cost a lot more than that! I remember one time trying on a nice suit at the mall and the clothier told me it was around 500 bucks.

At any rate, I think if you are going to wear a suit, it should be something nice and fashionable.

Marshall's is a closeout/overstock discount retailer. They take stuff that won't sell at full retail. The stock is constantly shifting, so if you find something that you like, you buy, because it may not be there the next time you go there.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

My ball sacks are sweaty enough without a suit jacket.

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:53 AM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Robin Usagani wrote:
My ball sacks are sweaty enough without a suit jacket.

This made me laugh but then I got worried when I realized you have "sacks" as in two! And that would be nothing to laugh at.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:01 AM
abadass
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

amonline wrote:
Wow. It's obvious none of you guys live in Florida.

or in Hawaii!

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

Every man should own at least 2 or 3 suits, whether you're a wedding photographer or not.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

No suit, it's to restrictive. I'm 6'4 so I squat a lot and shoot from a neutral angle. Fall and winter I wear long sleeve shirts from Mizzen and Main or Indochino. Summer it's Nike Dri-Fit golf pants, and a golf shirt untucked usually. It's too humid in the Mid-Atlantic to try that. I sweat through whatever I wear from May-September otherwise.

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:25 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Worth investing in a suit for weddings?

No suit, it's to restrictive. I'm 6'4 so I squat a lot and shoot from a neutral angle. Fall and winter I wear long sleeve shirts from Mizzen and Main or Indochino. Summer it's Nike Dri-Fit golf pants, and a golf shirt untucked usually. It's too humid in the Mid-Atlantic to try that. I sweat through whatever I wear from May-September otherwise.

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password