New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Consumer level rangefinder

blurple

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Consumer level rangefinder

I've be researching this, and I have a feeling the answer is "no", but could anyone point me in the direction of a sub-500-dollar digital rangefinder? (Not a point and shoot)

Long story short, I've got a relative who grew up on canon film RFs and SLRs, but doesn't believe that there's a digital camera out there that can beat her iPhone without being completely alien or unwieldy. I'm looking to convince her otherwise.

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:56 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Consumer level rangefinder

Doesnt exist.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:02 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Consumer level rangefinder

blurple wrote:
I've be researching this, and I have a feeling the answer is "no", but could anyone point me in the direction of a sub-500-dollar digital rangefinder? (Not a point and shoot)

No.

The closest true rangefinder would be the Epson RD-1, about $1500 plus lens. 6 MP, IR contamination.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:07 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Consumer level rangefinder

nope. you can get a rangefinder shaped camera with much better iq than an iphone, but not an actual rangefinder.

you can also get a voigtlander bessa rangefinder and scan film.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:12 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Consumer level rangefinder

Unless you want to take a painful digression into defining the term "rangefinder," or if you're convinced that it needs to be a traditional rangefinder, then no.

But point-and-shoot cameras are designed to be something other than "completely alien or unwieldy." I'd rate both the Pentax Q7 and Panasonic LX7 as improvements upon the iPhone, which is at best an advanced point and shoot like those other cameras, and the improvements from the iPhone are visible without taking too much time to discern the difference.

The iPhone is a good "always with you" camera, if you buy into the Apple digisystem. (The term "eco"system never really floated my boat when it comes to digital products.)

That said, today I got an 18x36 inch print. I differentiate between fine details. If your friend is happy with the equivalent of much smaller prints, I'd say you're doing them a disservice by trying to convince them to spend money on something "better."

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Consumer level rangefinder

Epson R-D1 used is about $700 here in Japan. Fuji X-Pro 1 should be about $700 used. Ricoh GXR with the Leica M mount module should run about the same. They only one that is a real rangefinder is the Epson, but the IQ on the others is pretty outstanding. Just drop an f1.4 lens on the Fuji at ISO 3200 show her the results and I guarantee she would want one, even though it is rather unwieldy.

I would let her enjoy her iPhone. If it is good enough for her, then it is good enough. Just like most people think the Apple headphones sound good, even after you drop some Sennheisers on their heads, people don't really understand the limitations of their smartphone camera. When it looks good, it looks great, and that is good enough for them. If the picture doesn't look good, they just scratch their heads and delete it. Ignorance is bliss.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:31 PM
blurple

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Consumer level rangefinder

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I just thought I'd ask around. I maaaay just be considering buying her something, and the options seem pretty good. Stepping over to high-end P&S seems like a much better option than going vintage-digital. Vintage analog might be a good present, though.

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Consumer level rangefinder

RX100.

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:12 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Consumer level rangefinder

Once set up right, the NEX-6(7) is quite simple to use if you don't need to change the buried settings, I hardly ever go into the menu, for anything other than to format the SDHC card, so it's about as close to a RF as you can get without the RF system, peaking is a good substitution that can get quite accurate when you get to know a lens, my Topcor-S 50/2 LTM lens is a joy to use on my NEX-7, and the 7 should drop in price when it's replacement is released this fall.
I can't speak to how the Fuji's handle manual lenses, but they look the part, the X-Pro1 being the most RF like with an optical viewfinder(OVF) and also an EVF, its function is not quite RF like, the X-E1 is closer to the NEX-6 & 7.
You could buy a used NEX, an RF lens & adapter and if it doesn't work for her, you shouldn't be out much.

If she's happy with the IQ from a cellphone, she could either not need anything more, or she could be wowed.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:44 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Consumer level rangefinder

I second Jim Colwell's suggestion. The RX100 is an astoundingly good camera for its (tiny) size, and if someone doesn't want to be bothered by its many great advanced features, just pretend it is a normal P&S and get darned good "automatic" results. So, its technically really nothing like a rangefinder - oh well...

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:03 PM
arize84
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Consumer level rangefinder

Highly recommend the Canon EOS M. It's only $300 with a F2 pancake lens. It's sensor outperforms the Canon 7D or 60D. It has an awesome touch screen screen that will lend itself well to someone used to taking pictures on a smart phone.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:11 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Consumer level rangefinder

Fujifilm X20, for a rangefinder-ish type experience.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Consumer level rangefinder

May be out of the price range, but a Fuji X100s sounds like the perfect thing. Rangefinder styled with old school controls and big bright optical viewfinder. The original X100 could work too, and can be had used not too far above the price you're looking for.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:43 PM
blurple

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Consumer level rangefinder

I personally think the Fuji cams are awesome, Even on a pro level. I didn't realize the EOS-M was 300 with a lens, I should bring that up. I think she'd see the difference if she tried a better camera, the difficulty is in convincing her to give it a chance!

Anyway, thank you guys for the continued input. I'll see if anything strikes her fancy later this week.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
arize84
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Consumer level rangefinder

blurple wrote:
I personally think the Fuji cams are awesome, Even on a pro level. I didn't realize the EOS-M was 300 with a lens, I should bring that up. I think she'd see the difference if she tried a better camera, the difficulty is in convincing her to give it a chance!

Anyway, thank you guys for the continued input. I'll see if anything strikes her fancy later this week.

You can get get it at B&H for $399 including 90ex flash. You can sell the flash on ebay/amazon for about $100.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.