New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · More Nikon nonsense

Fstr.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Nikon nonsense

Just an FYI, if you have a D3/D3X and need the right hand rubber grip, as of this posting it is off their parts store site. I was advised that I could send it in (yeah right) or check ebay (ok).

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Nikon nonsense

Sure sucks.. but what's there to do?

Sad state of affairs

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:49 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Nikon nonsense

Or you could do what I did with my D700 and just glue that sucker back in place. It ain't pretty but it doesn't need to be.

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:48 PM
elmtree

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Nikon nonsense

DTOB, can I ask what glue you used on your D700? My grip is loose and I have been wanting to glue it but wasn't sure with what.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:10 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Nikon nonsense

I've heard glue doesn't work.....i just get the thing lined up as best as possible, and throw a strip of gaff tape on it......does the job for me...

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Nikon nonsense

crazy glue works fine.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:33 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Nikon nonsense

I used "industrial" hot glue as opposed to the normal stuff. Worked out fine, a bit messy. I should re-do the thumb grip, after a year it has started to give way again. That doesn't really bother me, doesn't change my grip.

Crazy glue would have been my choice if all the tubes I had lying around weren't dried up. Can't say it would have worked worse/on par/better.

Gaffers tape, yeah I can see that being a good solution too. Being a Canadian, I might be inclined to give hockey stick tape a go as well, it's nice and grippy, but leaves some serious residue should you decide to remove it not that I know why you would.

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Nikon nonsense

Maybe Canon will suit your needs better Although this sounds like some kind of mix up more than anything.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234006

Edited on Aug 14, 2013 at 07:45 PM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:54 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Nikon nonsense

Nikon never fails to find moments to screw over their customers hard.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Nikon nonsense

Actually, it's not glue that holds it on, it's double sided sticky tape. They actually sell the tape as a part (some of the better eBay sellers include the tape with a new grip).

But, you can also buy sheets of double sided tape and cut out your own. You'll need to make a couple of cuts (just like the original part) to make it bend around everything just right, but it comes on thick paper and is easy to do. They sell it on eBay and Amazon for $1 a sheet or so.

One other trick that sometimes works if the tape is still on but not sticky anymore: heat it with a hair dryer until it's warm to the touch. That sometimes restickifies it (I'm pretty sure that's a word).

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Fstr.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Nikon nonsense

Pretty obvious that they want to repay our faith in the brand with a nickel and dime approach. Not a good way to run a business. We have a post your best image thread, maybe it is time for a post your complaint thread, by category. I really hate doing this (complaining).

Thanks for the tip Roger, worth a try.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Erie Patsellis
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More Nikon nonsense

Havy duty carpet tape works exceptionally well, btw.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · More Nikon nonsense

My camera is only a lowly D200 but I glued mine with a product named shoe goo (sp?) and that worked. Not messy if you are careful.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:11 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · More Nikon nonsense

Greg - it may only be a "lowly" D200 but what colors at low ISO.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · More Nikon nonsense

Gregstx wrote:
My camera is only a lowly D200 but I glued mine with a product named shoe goo (sp?) and that worked. Not messy if you are careful.

Totally forgot about shoe goo. It saved me so much money on shoes back when I could still skateboard.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM
VJ218

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · More Nikon nonsense

Fstr. wrote:
Just an FYI, if you have a D3/D3X and need the right hand rubber grip, as of this posting it is off their parts store site. I was advised that I could send it in (yeah right) or check ebay (ok).

Here you go. I found this site but it's currently out of stock right now.

http://procamerarepair.3dcartstores.com/NIKON-D3-D3s-RIGHT-SHUTTER-SIDE-RUBBER-REPLACEMENT-GRIP-_p_235.html

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · More Nikon nonsense

few small drops of gorilla super glue and it wont never come off.did it with 2 of my cameras.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · More Nikon nonsense

the rubber zoom ring on my 17-55mm f2.8 has become stretched and almost useless. Maybe I should try the Gorilla glue--I have some laying around. No way I'm sending it in to Nikon.

Kent in SD

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · More Nikon nonsense

Two23 wrote:
the rubber zoom ring on my 17-55mm f2.8 has become stretched and almost useless. Maybe I should try the Gorilla glue--I have some laying around. No way I'm sending it in to Nikon.

Kent in SD

I don't think glue will fix a stretched zoom ring rubber. I sent my 18-200 DX lens into Nikon for a stretched zoom ring rubber. They replaced it under warranty and returned it quickly. Couldn't have been better handled by them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM
HauntedHat
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · More Nikon nonsense

This has been going on since at least last year, I believe, or as early as 2011, can't remember. I'd advice against using glue, it looks and feels awful (past experience), plus those parts are really cheap, compared to the camera you're using. Just send those guys (the pro camera repair folks) an e-mail, most of the time they have those parts in stock, but in small quantities, you need to ask for them.

The way I see it, you already spent a few grand on a digital body, the least you can do is buy a $20 part that will feel amazing in your hands, they just feel super grippy, in comparison to a well used grip. You can thank me later.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.