Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · memory card usage.

Ghostinz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · memory card usage.

Just thought it might be interesting to see how people are configuring cameras with dual memory card slots.

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:50 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · memory card usage.

I tried shooting JPEGs + RAW but never used the RAW files.
So why waste the space and slow down the camera too
especially when you take thousands of shots per day?

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:13 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · memory card usage.

Officially, mine is set for overflow.

Day-to-day, what that really means is when I've pulled one of the cards out to remove pictures, I don't have to remember to replace it.

On vacations, I perform a manual card-to-card copy at the end of the day, after I've gone through and deleted the bad ones from the primary card.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · memory card usage.

Both cards for raw (back-up). And NEVER delete anything with the camera as it can corrupt the card(s).

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · memory card usage.

Both cards set to NEF, as back up. ESPECIALLY if shooting a wedding or other paying job.

Kent in SD

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · memory card usage.

480sparky wrote:
Both cards for raw (back-up). And NEVER delete anything with the camera as it can corrupt the card(s).

Do you have evidence for this, or are you parroting the old wives' tale that has been around forever?

Given that the camera deletes files in the exact same way that your computer deletes files - which is dictated by the filesystem used, not by some arbitrary selection on the part of the camera manufacturer - I have long heard this comment but have yet to see anyone back it up...

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · memory card usage.

I shoot RAW, set to overflow. I've missed WAY more shots due to running out of memory than having a card go bad (never had that happen, - looking for some wood to knock on right now )

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:32 PM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · memory card usage.

binary visions wrote:
Do you have evidence for this, or are you parroting the old wives' tale that has been around forever?

Given that the camera deletes files in the exact same way that your computer deletes files - which is dictated by the filesystem used, not by some arbitrary selection on the part of the camera manufacturer - I have long heard this comment but have yet to see anyone back it up...

I've had it happen.

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:46 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · memory card usage.

480sparky wrote:
I've had it happen.

You've had it happen... once? Repeatedly with the same camera? Repeatedly with different cameras?

Correlation != causation...

Aug 14, 2013 at 05:58 PM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · memory card usage.

binary visions wrote:
You've had it happen... once? Repeatedly with the same camera? Repeatedly with different cameras?

Correlation != causation...

It's happened with 3 different cameras, and 3 different cards. Now, I doubt the lens I was using had anything to do with it. Nor whether I had bacon or sausage links for breakfast.

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · memory card usage.

#2 set for overflow. I don't travel with a laptop - I just bring plenty of memory cards so space is always a premium.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Ghostinz
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · memory card usage.

I didn't expect to have as many votes for overflow.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:39 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · memory card usage.

Truth is, memory cards are fairly stable these days. IMO the second card slot is kind of redundant, not that necessary. The best thing it's good for is to have images on it to ease transfer to a laptop via the SD card when your on the road, or overflow.

I'm sure a lot of people started using it for the other reasons, but then after trying the different uses, found them unnecessary.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · memory card usage.

ckcarr wrote:
Truth is, memory cards are fairly stable these days. .

True, but last year I lost nearly 800 shots in Iceland due to card failure. It's one of the reasons I bought a D7100. If you shoot paying jobs, you pretty much have to use the back-up option. Telling a customer "My card went bad so no shots of the bride walking down the aisle" won't cut it.

Kent in SD

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · memory card usage.

Ghostinz wrote:
I didn't expect to have as many votes for overflow.

I'm also surprised by that, given the capacity of memory cards now.

Normally I only use one slot, but redundancy is my most common use for two cards.

I'd like to see a two-card mode where every other frame is stored on the opposite card.

EBH

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · memory card usage.

I use for overflow. If I was being paid for the pictures I took I would use it differently!

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:40 AM
ucphotog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · memory card usage.

Officially, mine is set for overflow. Day-to-day, what that really means is when I've pulled one of the cards out to remove pictures, I don't have to remember to replace it.

This is exactly how I use it as well. I would likely do it differently if people were paying me, but I have sold only two pictures and ... I only made money on those shots sort of by accident.

So, I take an ongoing, sort-of calculated risk. I never leave more than one day's images on the cards when I am somewhere I consider important.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:48 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · memory card usage.

480sparky wrote:
It's happened with 3 different cameras, and 3 different cards. Now, I doubt the lens I was using had anything to do with it. Nor whether I had bacon or sausage links for breakfast.

That is some terrible, terrible luck right there... but it's not representative of the bigger picture. If your experience were typical, or even slightly common, camera manufacturers would be removing the function from their cameras, because the entire market would be saturated with people losing their entire card contents. Deletion is a super simple, safe process that doesn't even actually remove much data from the card; it simply removes the header and marks the contents of the blocks as eligible for writing.

I do see, though, why you would be gun shy about it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · memory card usage.

I use mine as backup, I never really download the images from that card, but it's always nice to have just in case. That one time you'll need it, it'll be the best option you've ever choose.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM
ffstory

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · memory card usage.

Miss the option. I use slot 2 for video.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password