Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · August appears to be a month for errors...

GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · August appears to be a month for errors...

Like gg0k, I made a mistake. I sold my 7d earlier this summer and picked up a 1dIII to shoot my kids' sports this fall (I'm sort of the unofficial team photographer). So far so good. Then I got a fantastic deal on a 1DIV and thought I'd flip it, make a few bucks and offset the cost of the 1DIII. But it's just too darn nice. The high ISO is vastly improved, focus is perfect, screen is vastly better. To my wallet's dismay, looks like I'll be returning a very nice 1DIII and keeping the IV...

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · August appears to be a month for errors...

Human nature often works contrary to the best practices within a free market.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:18 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · August appears to be a month for errors...

We feel sorry for you.
Stuck with a 1D4, instead of 1D3 or 7D.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:53 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · August appears to be a month for errors...

George, George, George!!! Maybe you could pick up a gig @ the Army 10 Miler to help offset the cost too!!! Lisa and I are trying to do everything we can both financially and time wise to make it out, not sure if it'll be much more than a day or 2 but, we'll still have a great run!!! Oh, and have lots of fun with that 1D4!!! I know I would!!!

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:03 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · August appears to be a month for errors...

Reno - I'll take some of you running for free. Hit me up if you make it out and have time for a drink.

Surf monkey - I know, I know. Life is tough. My only excuse is that my wife and kids abandoned me to go to the beach while I worked and I felt a compelling desire to reward my hard work...

(Who knows, maybe I will come to my senses and sell it, but I figure I can shoot it all season and sell it next spring and still be at worst even barring a complete collapse in the use market).

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:10 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · August appears to be a month for errors...

Yeah, I made the same errors also..

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:15 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · August appears to be a month for errors...

For one who has never even picked up a 1-series of any shape, is the 1D ~that~ much better than, say, a 5DIII? Just curious what I'm missing out on w/out a 1___.

Keith

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · August appears to be a month for errors...

Keith, that depends on the 1 in question. The 5D3 is a better camera than some of the 1 series but a lesser camera than the 1DX. But both 'better' and 'lesser' depend on your needs.

What 1 series have over other models is burst rate, weather sealing, and the inclusion of technologies that usually trickle down to lower models in time.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · August appears to be a month for errors...

I have a 1Ds2 that is a better camera than my 6D in a lot of ways, and not so much, in a few other ways.

I'm done in my camera upgrades for another generation or two. Unless they make one that can shoot on thought.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · August appears to be a month for errors...

+1

I am going to try and resist buying a new body until 2020. Seriously. If I do, punch me. Because as menacingly as GAS looms, I will 'just' use my 1D3 and 5D3.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · August appears to be a month for errors...

beanpkk wrote:
For one who has never even picked up a 1-series of any shape, is the 1D ~that~ much better than, say, a 5DIII? Just curious what I'm missing out on w/out a 1___.

Keith

In short: No. However, sometimes you may just happen to need the higher fps, better battery capacity, or some other (obscure) feature of the 1-series.

Personaly, I *still* keep my 1D4 around, barely using it over the 5D3, and promising myself to sell it when the 5D3 got AF at f8, but I cannot bring myself to do it :-) For me, the 1D4 is a very nice back-up camera to the 5D3, and brings a little set of features that I have to admit I appreciate, occasionally. A couple of examples: You can decide a min shutter speed faster than 1/250s (not so on the 5D3). And you can decide intervals for shutter speeds and apertures, and have the camera adjust iso accordingly. Also, high ISO is quite good on the 1D4 - it is the mid range ISOs I find somewhat inferior to the 5D3. YMMV.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · August appears to be a month for errors...

Not only did I make serious errors in August, I've already forgotten what they were.

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:33 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · August appears to be a month for errors...

I also sold 1D3 when I picked up 1D4.. wife never found out what really happened.. to her, it's a same body

/r
Andy

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · August appears to be a month for errors...

ggOk wrote:
I also sold 1D3 when I picked up 1D4.. wife never found out what really happened.. to her, it's a same body

/r
Andy

That's an easy sell, especially compared to having a pair of 200/1.8L binoculars.

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:57 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · August appears to be a month for errors...

I would love to get a 1D4 to replace my 1D3.

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · August appears to be a month for errors...

George -- Congrats!!

That's the saga of a gear-flipper if I ever heard one! I really enjoy the 1D3, but I'd take a 1D4 if I could afford to, just like you. Great camera.

beanpkk -- Yes, there are a number of things special about the 1D-series. In some ways better than the 5D3, especially if you appreciate a larger camera with better build and great features. I love the feel of them, especially with larger lenses. Pick up an older one like the 1D2 or 1D2n for practically nothing and see what you think! BTW -- I like the 5D-series as well, and the even my 60D is great -- it all has different uses.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.