New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Letting go of the 14-24?

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Letting go of the 14-24?

It is a fantastic lens, but as others have said, if you aren't using it you might was well sell it to someone who will. At first I didn't use mine much, but lately it has gotten more and more use in my kit.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Letting go of the 14-24?

I am in the midst of retooling my setup and selling my D700 and probably my Samyang 14mm - and in October I will be getting the 14-24 and either D800 or D600.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:33 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Letting go of the 14-24?

I sold my after using it twice in two years. Fantastic lens!

It helped fund a Leica M9.

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Letting go of the 14-24?

justindong wrote:
I've had it for a while now and it's an absolutely fantastic lens. When I'm traveling though, it's been the new 18-35g all the way lately, mostly due to its weight. I use wide-angle primarily for landscapes, with the occasional cityscape and all typically shot at f/8 or above.

When I go shooting, it's usually for an entire day and if I bring my camera, a tripod, and another lens then the 14-24 is really a backbreaker. Anyone let the 14-24 go in lieu of something lighter? Any regrets?

If you are at that stage (been there) then maybe you need to first reconsider how you carry your gear to see if any improvements can be made that will, if not lessen the load, at least make if feel lighter and easier to carry.

A new backpack that distributes the weight better or perhaps a harness system such as the one I really like, Cotton Carrier (carry it on your hip or chest).

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:14 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Letting go of the 14-24?

I've sold mine twice, great lens, very limited use IMO.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:49 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Letting go of the 14-24?

If it's not for you, it's not for you.
Sell it, take the loss and move on.
You can always re-buy it if you discover that it's invaluable.

In my world, it would be one of the last lenses I'd sell. But I have places to use it where it makes sense. Wide is wide, so replacing a 14mm wide end with an 18mm is a lot.

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:48 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Letting go of the 14-24?

justindong wrote:
I've had it for a while now and it's an absolutely fantastic lens. When I'm traveling though, it's been the new 18-35g all the way lately, mostly due to its weight. I use wide-angle primarily for landscapes, with the occasional cityscape and all typically shot at f/8 or above.

When I go shooting, it's usually for an entire day and if I bring my camera, a tripod, and another lens then the 14-24 is really a backbreaker. Anyone let the 14-24 go in lieu of something lighter? Any regrets?

If you use it... keep it... if you don't use it... sell it... if it hurts you to carry it... go work out more and get in better shape...

I was just up at Mt Rainier, and for my sunset shots I also wanted to stay and shoot the stars, so I carried up the mountain two Manfrotto tripods (one the old aluminum, one carbon fiber), the D800, the D600, the 16-35mm, the 14mm, the 24-85mm, the 24-120mm, the 70-300mm, plus all the normal photo gear I carry, ND grads, ND's, extra batteries, etc, etc... oh... and carrying along extra food, water, gatorade, 2 winter coats, a blanket (it was still chilly up there at night), thermals, 2 sets of raingear (helping ease the weight for a friend). I probably put on 5 or 6 miles of hiking each day with that...

Though I guess I am bragging a bit, the point is if you can't carry your gear, most often it's because people just don't keep themselves in shape. A 14-24mm is not that heavy... so again, if you use it... keep it... and get back to the gym and get in shape...

Jim

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:23 PM
euua
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Letting go of the 14-24?

I sold mine 2 times so far and still going back and getting it again. for some reason I just cant let this one go .....

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:29 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Letting go of the 14-24?

I traded my 14-24 for a 16-35 plus cash, and then later stumbled across a used 14-24 a guy had to part with quickly for a steal and now own both again.

I spend infinitely more time at 200mm+ than I do <20mm, so I was willing to trade down in order to fund another hobby somewhat, but for anyone who puts huge stock into ultimate IQ at the wide end in a zoom, the 14-24 would be one I wouldn't necessarily part with, unless going MF with a Zeiss prime. There is a fairly significant gap between the 14-24 and 16-35 IMHO, strictly speaking of IQ, not the ability to take traditional filters and weight.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Letting go of the 14-24?

JimFox wrote:
If you use it... keep it... if you don't use it... sell it... if it hurts you to carry it... go work out more and get in better shape...

I was just up at Mt Rainier, and for my sunset shots I also wanted to stay and shoot the stars, so I carried up the mountain two Manfrotto tripods (one the old aluminum, one carbon fiber), the D800, the D600, the 16-35mm, the 14mm, the 24-85mm, the 24-120mm, the 70-300mm, plus all the normal photo gear I carry, ND grads, ND's, extra batteries, etc, etc... oh... and carrying along extra food,
...Show more

That is ridiculous amount of gear with over lapping At least the elevation gains aren't too much up at Paradise

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:47 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Letting go of the 14-24?

Dustin Gent wrote:
That is ridiculous amount of gear with over lapping At least the elevation gains aren't too much up at Paradise

Ha ha... I was going light too... if I was backpacking I would have taken a 3rd body and a couple of more lenses... oh and a sleeping bag and tent too...

Jim

Aug 16, 2013 at 02:25 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Letting go of the 14-24?

Jim

Ha ha... I was going light too... if I was backpacking I would have taken a 3rd body and a couple of more lenses... oh and a sleeping bag and tent too...

Jim

What is your mule's name?
I feel sorry for it.

When I hit the lotto, I will hire a couple showgirls for lens caddies.

I consider my 14-24 a "good investment".
Nearly every year, it goes up in value.

If I were really rich I would mount that and a few other lens in a "Trophy" case.

Edited on Aug 16, 2013 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2013 at 09:14 AM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Letting go of the 14-24?

JimFox wrote:

I was just up at Mt Rainier, and for my sunset shots I also wanted to stay and shoot the stars, so I carried up the mountain two Manfrotto tripods (one the old aluminum, one carbon fiber), the D800, the D600, the 16-35mm, the 14mm, the 24-85mm, the 24-120mm, the 70-300mm, plus all the normal photo gear I carry, ND grads, ND's, extra batteries, etc, etc... oh... and carrying along extra food,
...Show more

You've got my respect!! What a list!!

Aug 16, 2013 at 02:49 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Letting go of the 14-24?

What Jim is saying is that one has to make decisions on what gear to keep and when to take it. Think you need to carry everything including the kitchen sink to that once in a lifetime location, be prepared to haul it in.

I tend to think like Jim. If it's too heavy either find a lighter solution or find a way to get in shape to carry it. Unfortunately, being a bit of a pack mule myself, the gym does not seem to be an adequate substitute for actually getting out and carrying a heavy load on a regular basis. The legs, feet, etc. need the actual heavy loading to stay in shape (at least for me).

I'm heading out to Mt. Rainier tomorrow afternoon to spend the night out on an exposed ridge 3 miles from Sunrise in hopes that I can catch the lights from the climbers during the ascent/descent and perhaps the moon in the background.
Some food, water, a bivy sack, warm clothes and the D800+ tripod and a lot of glass/accessories are getting packed and carried. If I'm heavy I'll go slower, if I'm not carrying that much I can go a lot faster.

- John

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Letting go of the 14-24?

jhinkey wrote:
What Jim is saying is that one has to make decisions on what gear to keep and when to take it. Think you need to carry everything including the kitchen sink to that once in a lifetime location, be prepared to haul it in.

I tend to think like Jim. If it's too heavy either find a lighter solution or find a way to get in shape to carry it. Unfortunately, being a bit of a pack mule myself, the gym does not seem to be an adequate substitute for actually getting out and carrying a heavy load on a regular
...Show more

Berkley Park?

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Letting go of the 14-24?

It seems pretty obvious you should never have bought this lens in the first place. You don't need f2.8, the weight and bulk are a huge negative for your style of shooting, and you have a big pile of money tied up in something you don't need or use. Sell it, reallocate the money, and learn from this experience. Just because anonymous people on a gear forum rave about something is no indication it's going to work for you. Analyze your needs carefully, and match the gear to the need.

Kent in SD

Aug 16, 2013 at 08:56 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Letting go of the 14-24?

Dustin Gent wrote:
Berkley Park?

Burroughs Mtn. and perhaps beyond depending on how close to the mountain I want to get.

Right now the weather is a bit "iffy" - it may be too cloudy, but you won't know until you go . . .

Aug 16, 2013 at 09:49 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Letting go of the 14-24?

Kell wrote:
Amen, why I bought thee 16-35 instead and sold my 70-200 2.8 for the F4...lighter is better anymore for me

I too opted for the 16-35 over the 14-24. Weight was not one of the reasons, the 16-35 is also a ridiculously bulky and heavy lens for what it is (why, oh why would Nikon put VR on a SWA lens)? My main rationally was filters. I use GNDs quite frequently, and did not feel like paying for the privilege of a Lee adapter for this lens and the even more monstrous filter prices.

As for the 70-200/2.8, it produces images with such gorgeous intangibles that I am having a hard time selling it. I should though, and get the /4 just like you did.

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Letting go of the 14-24?

jhinkey wrote:
Burroughs Mtn. and perhaps beyond depending on how close to the mountain I want to get.

Right now the weather is a bit "iffy" - it may be too cloudy, but you won't know until you go . . .

Ah yes. It is worth the risk - I say that after doing gnarly Indian Henrys - would've sucked hiking all that way for sunny skies

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:39 PM
ja_joyce
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Letting go of the 14-24?

GroovyGeek wrote:
...why, oh why would Nikon put VR on a SWA lens?

I love the idea of VR on a SWA, FWIW. Being able to shoot stopped down at dawn and dusk without a tripod would be a huge bonus for me.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.