Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

gmff
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

On Thursday I was informed by the bride that the wedding had been moved from 4:00 PM to 1:30 PM to help some folks that are making a long trip to and from the wedding on the same day. This was a small wedding with 60 people that are close friends and family. The caterer, JP, venue, and DJ and I were all set. The caterer does not do the liquid refreshments and forgot to let the drinks guy that there was a last minute time change. No drinks until 4:00 PM and the wedding was to start with a cocktail party. The crowd that was to be 60 people were only 25 due to the bride trying to do emails and texts from her cell phone and she did not understand in this remote part of the world I call home cells don't work everywhere. The venue was great and provided some drinks for the cocktail party and it went well. The bride went away so we could move to the wedding ceremony and that is when my part went to H***. The groom and groomsmen stepped into their spots with black on and they were in this shadow from the trees with shaded trees behind them. The brides and bridesmaids took their places and they were in open sun with no trees in back of them just wonderfully blue sky with white puffy clouds. When I had checked out the venue for the 4:00 PM wedding the trees shaded the whole area that the wedding was in but at 2:15 PM there was this nightmare condition. Every photo of the bridesmaids the girls are squinting against the sun, the JP was cut in half from the shadow of the from the trees and sun with dark trees on her left side and blue sky on her right. Most of the photos of the ceremony are horrid with over exposed girls on the left and under exposed men on the right. The drinks guy shows up at 3:00 PM and there is a shouting match that goes on between him and the caterer. The rest of the guest show up at about 3:45 and want to know how come the bride did not just call them, some of them got upset and turned around and went home. The caterer had under cooked the chicken, some folks ate it not knowing and got sick. The only weddings that have been this bad in the last 15 years I have been doing this were the one that the brides dad and mom died in a car accident on the way to the wedding, and the one that we had an earthquake during the wedding ceremony with aftershocks coming shortly after it was shaking the building and the roof sounded like it was going to cave in. Has this kind of stuff ever happened to anyone else??

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:19 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

Paragraph is a wonderful thing....

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:20 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

wow, that is bad. I don't understand why you would change your wedding start time a couple of days before your wedding date.

Nothing you can do about the sun. I guess dodge/burn the best you can and hope for the best, haha.

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:25 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

Wow! I've never had anything even close to that bad. Sounds like a rough one.

That's so sad that a bride's parents passed away on their way to the wedding. So devastating. I hope that the couple was able to make it through that one and stay together.

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:34 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

M Lucca wrote:
Paragraph is a wonderful thing.

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

Someone needed a wedding planner... their services really shouldn't be underestimated.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

This is bad. The bulk of this issue rests with the fact that she didn't consult you on the time change (for lighting) and didn't delegate the rescheduling duties to anyone else like she should have. I find it insane when a bride, on her own wedding day, wants to control everything and micromanage. It's not their job, and it stresses them out making them run late and making for pictures that aren't as good as they could have been.

I know we all want that wide shot of the entire bridal party, but in lighting like this, I just say, "Well, I didn't plan the wedding nor did I pick the time" and I'll shoot the ladies with one exposure, and the guys with another, and just maybe one huge wide shot just to prove how uneven the lighting was in the case I get a complaint.

Just roll with it. Everyone wedding is unique, and remember that if all you do is get disappointed by "what could have been" that it won't really matter because most clients remember their wedding day as it happened, not as it could have been.

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

I 2nd shot a wedding in Lake Tahoe a couple weeks ago. Beautiful location, everything was perfect except the ceremony location. Bride in the sun, groom partially in the shade, then fully in the shade, people running/playing on the beach in swimsuits in the background, minister had a shadow of a bar across his eyes. It is what it is. I shot tighter than normal and waited to see if when the sun went down I could get wider angles.

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Rockadeur

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

Oh wow, those 3 sound like they were awful :S The bride really could have planned it better, especially if she knew there were so many out-of-towners attending and consider the fact that they needed to go back on the same day...

I hope you took a lot of shots, so you can sift through them to find the good ones

Aug 16, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Worst Of The 3 Bad Weddings I Have Had Yet!!

From a photographer's perspective, the only part of this that is seriously problematic is the change in lighting conditions from the even shade to extreme contrast. That's unfortunate, and I'm sure it impacted the quality of your product.

The rest of it is trouble this bride brought upon herself by trying to manage her own wedding on the day of the wedding. That's what a planner is for, and even if a bride can't afford a high-end planner, hiring a friend to do it (especially a friend who knows how to say "no" to the bride) is well worth the trouble. All that, though, is how her day went, and as photographers, our primary job is to document the day as it actually happens.

Depending on whether this bride has (or, in the future, develops) a sense of humor, this will either be among the worst memories she has, or else it will be among the funniest and best memories she has. I hope your photos depict the consequences of her decisions with both grace and accuracy.

Aug 16, 2013 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password