Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sun setting over Porsche 911

RKnecht
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sun setting over Porsche 911

Here are a few from the other night. We lucked out on a decent sunset. All are composites made from varied exposures for the car and sky.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sun setting over Porsche 911

My feeling is that you have a beautiful car here, but you're not really doing it justice. In the first shot, the camera feels removed from the scene. If you moved closer to the car with the camera at the same height, you would emphasize the car and at the same time, push the window-line up over the horizon, rather than the somewhat awkward tangency that now exists. On the second image, unless you're shooting for a specific layout that required that amount of free space around the car, it feels too far away, but this time, it feels like the Cab doesn't jump enough from the background. I'd probably add some contrast and lighten the car to make it pop. Hard with a black car and a dark forest. The third image, again, feels like a weird crop. You don't need all that tree on the right, but here, you've got another tangency problem with the area that would be the bottom of the rear window and the trees/sky behind it. The one thing you do have in all three images is great light on a very hard to light vehicle.

Aug 14, 2013 at 03:47 AM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sun setting over Porsche 911

Peter, thank you for taking the time to comment on the photos. This is exactly the kind of input I am looking for. "Great shot" or Nice" just doesn't work. I never thought about how the horizon line affected the images. Thanks for pointing that out to me. It makes perfect sense and I will be very aware of that next time I go out. In the second shot, I would have gotten closer, but I really wanted the moon in the image. I see you point on the last image as well. I hope to implement this information next time. As for the shoot, this was just for fun.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sun setting over Porsche 911

I like #3 the best... From a composition viewpoint, I think it is classic "rule-of-thirds"... I agree with Peter, the trees on the horizon break up a beautiful silhouette... Hard to get good light on a black car = light suckers!

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sun setting over Porsche 911

Owning an older 911 myself, the best thing, next to driving them, of course, is that they are one of the very few cars that look great from virtually any angle. I have a couple of shots planned for mine, but the next couple of months are going to be tough to even think about it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:06 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password