Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

DblDrgn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

blog-blocking: when a bride requests/insists that her photographer does not blog her wedding, or she requests that she get's the chance to veto any image before it hits the web.

Occasionally a bride will "blog-block" us. It is frustrating, because we do have the legal right to blog the images, and our contract clearly states this. Additionally, we know that blogging images from certain high-end wedding venues will help us win more high-end bookings. For instance, if I blog about a wedding that we shoot at the nicest place in town, the next couple of brides that are looking at that venue's wedding images online will likely come across our blog post, and that puts us on their radar. At the same time, if a bride requests that we do not blog her image, we have to respect that on a personal and professional level.

Just curious, how would the photographers here respond to the following situations:

1) bride asks that her photographer remove the blog post of her wedding from their website, several months after their wedding. Not one picture, but the entire blog post. (We try to ask why, and her explanation is that her coworker used the images to pull a practical joke, and printed many of them out to hang around her office)

2) at the end of a wedding, photographer casually comments to the bride that her sneak peek will be up in a couple of days. Bride insists that she does not want their wedding images blogged, and that she wants a chance to approve and veto any image that we want to post (even though the contract that she signed says we may blog and use any and all images to promote ourselves)

3) at the pre-booking consultation, bride/groom request that their images not be blogged or used for promotional efforts.

I've had each situation come up since we started our business. It's only happened three times total out of almost a hundred weddings, but still it's an issue and I'm curious to see how everyone here would handle each situation.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:09 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

If my clients want privacy then we have an option for them to pay for it.

- trr

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:19 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

1) bride asks that her photographer remove the blog post of her wedding from their website, several months after their wedding. Not one picture, but the entire blog post. (We try to ask why, and her explanation is that her coworker used the images to pull a practical joke, and printed many of them out to hang around her office)
I would most likely refer to the contract. If it is that big of a deal I might think about pulling them. Unless their is specific language ahead of time I am going to stick to my guns because that is how we advertise.

2) at the end of a wedding, photographer casually comments to the bride that her sneak peek will be up in a couple of days. Bride insists that she does not want their wedding images blogged, and that she wants a chance to approve and veto any image that we want to post (even though the contract that she signed says we may blog and use any and all images to promote ourselves)
This all should have been handled beforehand. You have to manage expectations with people. At that point (after the wedding) you are in a bind. You did not get everything on the table beforehand and now you are kinda stuck. Perhaps the bride changed her mind last minute but still. I would again refer to the contract. You have to also feel people out to see if you are going to really piss someone off.

3) at the pre-booking consultation, bride/groom request that their images not be blogged or used for promotional efforts.
This is the best situation because you can figure out solutions to the problem of not blogging. You can charge extra, you can only pick a few images, etc. Having that convo with them before is way better than getting stonewalled after the fact. Make sure your contract is rock solid with all the verbiage necessary so everyone is happy.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:20 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

1) Explain why that's not something I do (my blog is my marketplace).

2) Same as point one.

3) Same as point one or draft a custom contract regarding promotional image use and charge them 100% of the wedding package for it (e.g., a $2000 wedding would become a $4000 wedding).

As an addendum, on point 3, I'd also be quite willing to walk away if they didn't agree to either stick with the original contract or pay twice for the additional contract. Regarding the first 2 points, the blog would go up and stay up.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

I either blog it or I don't blog it. I don't let the client decide which images can be blogged. If they have privacy concerns, I simply don't blog. Not a big deal.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:26 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

1) I would pull the blog post.

2) I wouldnt blog it.

3) I wouldnt blog it.

I hope my clients have a wholly positive experience...referring to the contract just to post a blogset isnt worth any negative press.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

It depends on how often this happens to you I guess. For the odd one it isn't much of a concession to not piss them off - pick your battles. Also set expectations up front etc etc.

Edited on Aug 14, 2013 at 04:28 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:37 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

1) If someone asked me to pull their images from my blog, I'd bring out the contract and say sorry and you agreed to promotional use of your image. But in that example the damage is already done. Why bother pulling them. And that situation has nothing to do with me. If anything I'd tell her to get an attorney, and maybe I would to for having my images used without consent. Besides my blog images are 640px, it would make a horrible print.

2) I would post the images anyway and then send her a link.

3) I'd be happy to oblige. As long as I know beforehand it's fine by me.

Why? Because weddings are not my primary market, just work I do on the side. My website has wedding images posted on it, but purely in the blog. I don't market or advertise myself as a wedding photographer. So I like having wedding images posted to show a constant stream of work and something to reference to if asked to do a wedding or applying for 2nd shooter work but they won't make or break me. However if someone came to me after the fact, after the contract was all signed and done and asked me to remove the images I'd be a bit miffed. It's right there in my contract, if they don't know that then they didn't read it. My contract isn't written in legalese, it's just a straightforward agreement of responsibilities, expectations, definitions, rights and rates.

Besides my blog isn't really searchable. I only use first names for solo weddings. And for weddings where I second shoot I don't post the couple's name's at all, I only post the name of the primary photographer I worked for.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

All of them know ahead of time that we own the rights to all images and we can choose to use them for advertising/promo purposes. Having said that, we respect my client's right to privacy.

I only have one occasion where I didn't blog about a shoot. But that was because of the person's high profile in the city and they want privacy. It was all agreed ahead of time.
Not a problem for us.

Most folks are fine.

We are quite comfortable with our portfolio stack these days that this blog-block stuff is not a hill worth dying on. I prefer to maintain positive experience than a confrontational one.

But I like TRR's angle of putting a price on this "feature".

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

Blogging is how I update and add marketing to my business. I need it.

I'm happy to shoot a no-social-media posts wedding, but I'd charge double. I factor my marketing into my prices. Without the ability to market, and potential future lost business from not having that venue as a blogged venue, I'm hosed, so I charge for that.

Never had to do that to date, but if I did, that's what I'd do.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

My last wedding- they didn't want a blog/post, and said it at signing the contract. I said I don't understand, but no problemo. She's cute as hell, he's average -better looking than me They pay me after all... What I did is I sent her stomped images (I usually would put it on my blogsite) to an e-mail adress just few minutes ago, and I wonder if they will appear on FB.
It would probably hurt me more if it was my start in this business, but what I learned is that refferals are the most important part of marketing (at least for me), much more effective than "unwanted" blogpost.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM
DblDrgn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

Thanks for all the responses.

... love the idea of charging 200% for the "exclusive" package.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

TRReichman wrote:
If my clients want privacy then we have an option for them to pay for it.

I'd find another photographer if I was told to pay for it. Plenty of 'em around looking for a paycheck who won't have a problem with it.

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:44 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Blogging is how I update and add marketing to my business. I need it.

So starved for blog material that you couldn't let one go by here and there without your business suffering?

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:53 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

D. Diggler wrote:
I'd find another photographer if I was told to pay for it. Plenty of 'em around looking for a paycheck who won't have a problem with it.

Plenty of people who actually want this type of privacy want it because it makes them feel more important. They are willing to pay for that feeling (because it is an extravagance). The vendors that understand that level of discretion and know how to provide it and charge for it are the ones that book that kind of business. Those who don't understand why they would want it or how to give it to them are the ones that get passed over.

- trr

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:08 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

I'd do what makes my clients happy. And I'd make them think it's a big deal. I'd also let them know that if I see any images up on social media from them that all bets are off. Same with other vendors use of images from the wedding. As long as it's all or nothing I'm fine to not blog the odd wedding.

Gordon

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:24 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

I respect complete privacy when it is requested, fortunately that is a rarity. I think some people are also concerned that they don't want people to be able to google their names and find their images, wedding, etc. I do agree with the concept of charging a premium for losing the marketability of those images, but do bear in mind you may still be able to use images that don't show likeness of any person in them and possibly still blog with minimal info and not reveal the identity of the clients.

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:55 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

And, too, you could always get permission to use the images for "in-person showings only" (like consultations) so you could still be using the images for marketing your business.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

I'd be concerned about a litigation-happy couple who initially "approve" an image, then decide to claim that they didn't approve it...

DblDrgn wrote:
2) Bride...wants a chance to approve and veto any image that we want to post

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · have you ever been "blog-blocked" ?

D. Diggler wrote:
And, too, you could always get permission to use the images for "in-person showings only" (like consultations) so you could still be using the images for marketing your business.

This does seem totally reasonable but if you give them conditional approval they basically end up with full control without paying for it. Upon getting burned by this a few times we changed our policy. For the average photographer with a reasonable volume this is probably a fine way to handle it.

- trr

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password