New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

I wonder how much vignetting it has on a ASP-H camera if at all?

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Policar

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

I think it will have quite a lot. The image circle is not that generous, particularly on the wide end.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Hawkan
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

boingyman wrote:
I wonder how much vignetting it has on a ASP-H camera if at all?

Policar wrote:
I think it will have quite a lot. The image circle is not that generous, particularly on the wide end.

It seems to work quite well: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1225718

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Hawkan wrote:
It seems to work quite well: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1225718

It's still a lot worse than any normal lens made for FF. Why would anyone buy this lens to use it with bodies it's not intended to be used with ? It will make a great lens with very good IQ to be an avarage or rather bad lens.
With a normal FF lens everyone would complain a lot about those black corners. But with this lens it's suddenly nice with a 5-10 stop vignetting

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
It's still a lot worse than any normal lens made for FF. Why would anyone buy this lens to use it with bodies it's not intended to be used with ?

Because using lenses on systems they weren't designed for is fun

Here's a shot of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC lens on a full frame 5D. With a little creativity you can work around the vignetting, sometimes it adds to the effect, sometimes it's just not that noticeable:

http://mattgrum.com/jaz.jpeg

Anyway I don't think anyone is buying this lens specifically for FF, they're buying it for APS-H or APS-C and getting it to do double duty on FF as a 28-35mm f/1.8 zoom.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

I also like a bit vignetting on some portraits. But not the kind of vignetting you show. IMO that one doesn't add anything to the portrait. (probably the opposite) A nice vignetting on a portrait should not be 4 black corners where one is the shoulder of the person.
I often add a bit vignetting in PP with LR. But never your style of it.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Policar

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

If the above photo is your style, you'll dig the 18-35mm on FF.

Personally I think it vignettes way too much for APS-H, let alone FF. APS-H at 35mm should be useable, but why bother?

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Policar wrote:

Personally I think it vignettes way too much for APS-H, let alone FF. APS-H at 35mm should be useable, but why bother?

+1

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Policar wrote:

It's not exactly "my style", I have four maybe five images done this way (compared to many thousand which are not). I was using the lens on a different camera and decided I'd see what it would look like 5D.

Sometimes I like images with obvious defects, such as hard vignetting, it's an affect that breaks up the monotony - people focus too much on technical qualities than can lead to images being very clinical. But like any affect it's not universally applicable and can be overused.

Policar wrote:

Again there's a difference between buying this lens to use on an APS-H camera, and having the lens anyway and using it to get shots that would otherwise not exist at all. I didn't have a FF 30mm or 35mm lens on me when I shot that image, it also has a sentimental value, which is undiminished by a little vignetting (which I could crop out).

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:17 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Matt Grum wrote:
Here's a shot of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC lens on a full frame 5D.

Interestingly, I have the updated version (now with an Art designation) of the above lens and it does not vignette as badly and as heavily on my 6D.

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:57 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

alundeb wrote:
I would like to see a comparison between this lens on a 24 MP Nikon APS-C vs the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC on a Nikon 24 MP Full frame.

I am confident the 24 MP APS-C sensor without AA filter will perform just as well as the 24 MP FF sensor with the usual AA filter.

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:02 AM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

cputeq wrote:
Fred should institute an auto filter-and-replace forum routine. Every time the equivalency argument comes up, it should instead change the poster's text to :

I LIKE SOGGY MONKEY KITTENS AND CHEESE.

+1000

Show me another 18-35 zoom lens with a 1.8 constant aperture that is sharp wide open..

Yes, it's for crop. So what? Being for crop doesn't nullify the fact that it is indeed a 1.8 constant aperture lens.. This lens is not meant to cover a FF image circle.

Geeeez with the equivalence thing

Edited on Aug 19, 2013 at 07:40 AM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:36 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

I don't understand why some people are so upset because some other people want to compare more than one factor at a time.

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:51 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Dpreview have posted their review:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:33 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

In the dpreview review they really nail the lens on the head. I have one, and I completely agree about the AF. For me though, it only seems like it has af issues at 35mm, and at about 12 feet +/- 2 feet.

Lucky for me 12 feet doesn't seem like a commonly used distance, so in real world use, I dont notice the flaw. I did return my first copy of the lens and the second one was notably better.

I disagree on close focus softness though. I find it razor sharp, even wide open.

Sep 02, 2013 at 03:13 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

the dpreview write up was all roses, until it came to focus consistency. Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem that plagues all 3rd party lenses. either the speed, or consistency is way off compared to canon lenses. Does not take away form the great feat of optical engineering that this lens is. and if it were zeiss rather than sigma, it would be manual focus, cost 2500, and everyone would rave for ever about it.

Sep 02, 2013 at 10:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

I just wrote this in the comment section of their review:

AF inconsistencies for the different focal lengths across a zoom lens aren't too uncommon, which is why Canon started including the ability to set independent AF adjust values for either end of a zoom lens, with the firmware interpolating between the two for the intermediate focal lengths. The 70D is Canon's first APS-C body that supports this zoom dual-AF adjust facility; it would be interesting to see if that sufficiently resolves the AF inconsistency problem you observed. Perhaps you can revisit this when you have a 70D on hand?

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:05 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

It's unfortunate that this lens isn't supported by the 70D's Dual Pixel AF feature.

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:28 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · TDP reviews Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

This could be a very significant lens release for night/astro landscape photographers. It means coupling this lens with a Samyang 14mm you could have a complete night lens kit for a reasonable amount, and use a cheapo Rebel body for great results.

That weakens the case for full frame a little bit for night work.

Sep 03, 2013 at 02:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.