New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 17" x 25" paper

philtax
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 17" x 25" paper

Hi all,

Anyone know a good source for 17" x 25" paper? I saw that Red River Paper has a variety of different types. Anyone have favorable / unpleasant experience with their papers? Any other companies that have that size? I would rather not buy a roll.

Thanks,

Phil

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 17" x 25" paper

Harman by Hahn. makes their Baryta and others in 17x25.

RedRiver is better than average paper. Often w/ lots of OBAs though.

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:48 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 17" x 25" paper

Thanks - I looked on Hahnemuhle's web site but didn't know the code (A3, A4, etc) for this size.

Phil

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:43 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 17" x 25" paper

in their own weird way, you have to select teh American flag to send you to the US site w/ inch sizes

http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/site/us/918/gloss-baryta.html

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:56 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 17" x 25" paper

I have used Red River for several years but found a wrinkling problem on some Auroa White matt. The semi gloss is ok however.

B&H stocks Hahnemuhle photorag 308 in 24x36 sheets and I can cut them to 17x24. An inch shorter than I am used to, but my print size is usually 23-1/2 by 16-1/2 so it works ok. I got a Carl cutter to make accurate cuts, my Epson 3800 rejects half my loads as it is, so I really need square cuts.

So far I am really liking my Hahn. Using the Hahn profiles I get a brighter image than with the RR and RR profile. I had to have a custom profile made for Red River because they were always too dark.

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:58 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 17" x 25" paper

ben egbert wrote:
I have used Red River for several years but found a wrinkling problem on some Auroa White matt. The semi gloss is ok however.

B&H stocks Hahnemuhle photorag 308 in 24x36 sheets and I can cut them to 17x24. An inch shorter than I am used to, but my print size is usually 23-1/2 by 16-1/2 so it works ok. I got a Carl cutter to make accurate cuts, my Epson 3800 rejects half my loads as it is, so I really need square cuts.

So far I am really liking my Hahn. Using the Hahn profiles I get a brighter
...Show more

Thanks Ben - I appreciate the heads up on the Red River papers. Cutting down 24 x 36 paper is probably more than I want to do.

Phil

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:49 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 17" x 25" paper

Apart from Red River, who mostly supply papers at a very good price, but of middling weight and quality, Harman Baryta Gloss, in both natural and white, is an exceptional paper for its type and is available in 17 x 25 inches. The only other two companies that supply 17 x 25 inch paper are Moab and Inkpress:

http://moabpaper.com/
http://www.inkpresspaper.com/papers_p1.asp

A2, A3, etc, is not a code, it is how the entire rest of the world sizes paper. The Epson 3800/3880 is classed as an A2 printer, for example. Moab and Museo have some paper stock in A2. All the A sized papers are a better ratio for 3:2 format cameras than US office sized papers.

Cutting down 24 x 36 inch sheets isnt much of a problem. Far easier than alternative, cutting from 17 inch rolls. But almost all the 24 x 36 inch (US Arch D size) sheets, are fine art papers.

Brian A

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 17" x 25" paper

hugowolf wrote:
A2, A3, etc, is not a code, it is how the entire rest of the world sizes paper.

Which, of course, just makes it a "code" as far as most people in the USA are concerned

- Alan

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 17" x 25" paper

In the US, 8x11.5 is A size, each doubling goes up a size, B, C, D E until you get to J size. At least in mechanical engineering drafting papers. Each size can be expressed in terms of A-units.

The European system always confused me because "A" means something else.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 17" x 25" paper

Thanks - educational as well as helpful. Anyone have experience with Moab or Inkpress?

Phil

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:37 PM
markly86

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 17" x 25" paper

I have had excellent results with Red River products. They are pretty upfront about when and where they use optical brighteners. The one time I had a problem with their paper their service was great; quick replacement and they paid to have the problem paper sent back to them for analysis. The replacement was fine. Their prices are good and in head to head comparison of the same type and weight papers I cannot tell the difference between Moab, Canon, Inkpress or Red River. I think most photographic papers are terribly overpriced and the supposed quality difference of the "top of the line" papers is greatly exaggerated.

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:37 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 17" x 25" paper

ben egbert wrote:
In the US, 8x11.5 is A size, each doubling goes up a size, B, C, D E until you get to J size. At least in mechanical engineering drafting papers. Each size can be expressed in terms of A-units.

The European system always confused me because "A" means something else.

It isnft just European, it is international: used practically everywhere outside of north and parts of central America.

The system works pretty much the way drafting and architectural paper sizing works in the US, except instead of letters, each numerical unit increase denotes a halving of the paper. A1 is half of A0, and A2 is half of A1, etc.

The main thing about the international paper sizing is the retention of the aspect ratio through out the range. Cut a sheet in half, and it has exactly the same aspect ratio as before.

All A and B papers have an aspect ratio of sqrt(2):1 (approximately 1.4 to 1) which is very close to the standard 35 mm film ratio of 1.5 to 1. A sized papers are sold retail, B sized papers are used within the printing industry. C sized paper products are used mostly for packaging A and B sized papers: envelopes, for example.

Brian A

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:37 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 17" x 25" paper

philtax wrote:
Thanks - educational as well as helpful. Anyone have experience with Moab or Inkpress?
Phil

The only way to tell is to get sample packs and try the papers for yourself. The Moab sample pack is quite expensive, but doesn't have labels on the front like Red River, so you can fully use the papers. The Inkpress sample packs are availalbe in at least three different packs, but are very inexpensive (<$11).

itSupplies has the Moab samples in US letter and A4, and the larger (newer) Inkpress sample pack. http://www.itsupplies.com/Samples

B&H has the two Moab packs and two smaller (older) Inkpress packs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Type%2fStyle_Sampler&ci=1118&N=4077634583+4294954869

And as for Red River being less expensive: try analyzing the prices of similar offerings: for example RR San Gabriel against similar barytas from Ilford, Hahnemhle, and Canson - you will be surprised.

RR are only less expensive for lighter weight papers, where they can be substantially cheaper, especially in 17 inch rolls. And look at RRs selection of rolls wider than 24 inches there are none.

Brian A

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 17" x 25" paper

Thanks everyone - this is more helpful than I could have hoped for! I appreciate all the practical advice.

Phil

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 17" x 25" paper

I got the roll of Metallic type paper from red river, 17" roll..plan to cut it to 17x25 sheets for my epson 3800.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/80lb-polar-pearl-metallic-photo-inkjet-paper-rolls.html

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:27 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 17" x 25" paper

I use inkjetart mc luster. It is available in 17x25 size. IMO it is a good quality and not expensive choice. IJA is now a part of IT Supplies, where I buy my ink.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:07 PM
philhill

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 17" x 25" paper

Red Rivers San Gabriel fiber and Pecos River gloss are both very nice. Pecos is available in standard and also 96lb weights.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:27 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 17" x 25" paper

so now inkjetart, itsupplies and atlex are all one.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:29 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 17" x 25" paper

Humm, didn't know atlex was part of it too. I've never bought from them just because I've been satisfied with the others. I've read good things about them though. I recently bought a pro-1 printer from IT supplies and they treated me very nicely.

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:19 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 17" x 25" paper

egd5 wrote:
Humm, didn't know atlex was part of it too. I've never bought from them just because I've been satisfied with the others. I've read good things about them though. I recently bought a pro-1 printer from IT supplies and they treated me very nicely.

Atlex and itSupplies have the same company address:
5100 Newport Drive, Suite 6
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

They are probably best described as sister companies.

Brian A

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.