Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

hatch1921
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

Hi all... just curious to what your favorite location setup might be?

While shooting this weekend my friend Lisa (pictured below) brought along her Einstein and Vagabond mini for the session. I'm without a location setup at the moment (I'll own another Ranger soon)... she wanted to help out. The commander unit was dead and the Vagabond mini died about 10 shots in to the session. She didn't really charge it and we switched to natural light. But, I was able to capture a few shots with the studio strobe. When the battery died she said just use the speedlight for the rest of the shoot. I mentioned I wasn't a fan (this isn't a speedlight bashing post ) and later I showed her the difference. Granted.. this was only 1 speedlight vs 1 strobe so the difference is substantial and unfair to be honest lol.

That being said... do you all prefer speedlights on location or studio strobes? This is nothing more than a curiosity post

I prefer to have studio lights on location for the type of shoots I do. I can see where speedlights would come in handy but for me, I've never really enjoyed using them. I've seen a lot of great work produced with speedlights... and wished I could do the same

So... if you want to.... post some shots with your outdoor lighting shots and let me/us know what you used to achieve the shot.

Here is the example I showed Lisa. (no real post processing... a little hot on the bra)

1 speed light 1 studio strobe by hatch1921, on Flickr

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:11 AM
dmldl123
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

i like to have more power to have control. i have used speedlights for a while for location shoots because they are lightweight and easy to take around. I like the vagabond mini and einstein combo that is a lot cheaper than the other big names out there.

Amazing things are done with speedlights that just make it easier instead of studio strobes.

What modifiers did you use for each light?

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:38 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

dmldl123 wrote:
i like to have more power to have control. i have used speedlights for a while for location shoots because they are lightweight and easy to take around. I like the vagabond mini and einstein combo that is a lot cheaper than the other big names out there.

Amazing things are done with speedlights that just make it easier instead of studio strobes.

What modifiers did you use for each light?

Nothing on the speedlight and a beauty dish with a sock for the Einstein setup.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:53 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

I have AB1600 and 5 speedlights (Canon 550EX). Most of the time I shoot with the speedlights and the AB and Vagabond mini sits in the car. Matter of fact I haven't used the AB in a year or so. I'm seriously thinking about selling it because of lack of use. Though I really enjoy having it just in case I need it.

The main reason I even bring the AB is in case the sun is to bright for particular shots, otherwise the speedlights can do the same exact lighting as the AB.

There isn't much I've found that 2 speedlights in a softbox, 1 as hair light (or use the sun), and 2 for rim lighting can't do.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

I try and use natural light as much as I can because I am really not a fan of obviously lit pictures. My favourite light is very hard: low angle direct sun. I use flash sparingly most typically on overcast days to get a bit more direction and punch to the light but only 1/3 of a stop. If you do a comparison, a little goes a long way - any more and it starts to look unnatural.

Grearwise profoto acuteb2 600 with 22" white beauty dish. The BD is great on location because it doesn't catch the wind and the light is hard enough. I don't like speedlights because they do a bad job with beauty dishes, the mountings are never solid, they recycle too slowly to keep up with a model and I am always worried I will overheat them. I do use a sunpak 622 super pro with bare bulb head at times because it's tiny flash tube replicates sunlight very convincingly.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:39 PM
thumphrey

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

For run and gun, I like my Elinchrom Ranger Quadra. Modifiers I like are shoot thru umbrellas, Softlite silver beauty dish, Deep Octa, and 190 cm EL Octa. When I need more power, I have a couple of Ranger RX Speed AS units. The Quadra is very portable and easy on your back.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

For something like this a big Ranger or Quadra with a 16" Maxilite reflector or BD is great. Even a standard Quadra reflector with the diffusion cap is nice.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

@ Gregg... did you pickup the hybrid Quadra with the lithium batteries? I was reading it's lighter and you double the number of exposures you can get from the original gel packs.

It's on my list of things to buy

Hatch

Aug 29, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

Nope. I have a newer Quadra but not Lithium yet. I would love to have the extra shot capacity but the weight is not that big of deal to me. If you need more that about 80 or 90 full power shots you'd want an extra battery or the lithium however. The Quadra is already a lightweight so the lower weight is just icy on the cake. I will get it at some point though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:43 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

hard to eval your images accurately since the bg exposure is different. I find speedlights to produce a totally different and more harsh look than studio lights and they also can overheat and melt when used on an external battery because of heat issues. With the AAs the recycling time adds some built in cooling.

If you're going to shoot them into an umbrella or softbox then it kind of defeats the purpose of using a small flash IMO...

And we love the vagabond mini and the einsteins for location shooting though I've considered an AB400/800 just to save a little weight. The einstein is a bit overkill for almost any shot unless we're trying to shoot F16/22 in the sun

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

"I find speedlights to produce a totally different and more harsh look than studio lights and they also can overheat and melt when used on an external battery because of heat issues. With the AAs the recycling time adds some built in cooling."

It's actually just the opposite. Speedlights will run cooler on a external battery pack as the internal batteries only power the Speedlights' functions. Especially out doors where the ambient temperature can add to the overall Speedlights' temperature.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

Gregg Heckler wrote:
It's actually just the opposite. Speedlights will run cooler on a external battery pack as the internal batteries only power the Speedlights' functions. Especially out doors where the ambient temperature can add to the overall Speedlights' temperature.

Not when you are shooting faster because of the rapid recycle time the external packs give you. It's pretty easy to melt a flash with a Quantum/Lumedyne battery. If you are just using AAs the slower recycle gives the flashtube time to cool a bit before it fires again.

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:54 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your favorite location setup? (NSFW)

tedwca wrote:
Not when you are shooting faster because of the rapid recycle time the external packs give you. It's pretty easy to melt a flash with a Quantum/Lumedyne battery. If you are just using AAs the slower recycle gives the flashtube time to cool a bit before it fires again.

Yeah, i just don't want to mess with it and dragging around the extra flashes necessary to get to F16 and decent recycle times at high power outweighs the "advantage" of the speedlights IMO.

And the exposure guesses in backlit situations by the TTL don't give me confidence. I'd rather meter it . I don't see an advantage of the speedlight for most portraits.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password