Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

NIKKOR 80-400G f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens - Focus Shift etc ?

Frogfish
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · NIKKOR 80-400G f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens - Focus Shift etc ?

I'm strongly considering exchanging my Sigma 120-300/2.8 (3kgs) for this new lens (1.5kgs). Simply because it will make a far better travel lens. I'm not interested at all in other lens options (70-300s or 70-200/2.8 with TCs for example) for my intended use.

I hope that there will probably be little or no difference in sharpness since the Sigma is extremely sharp, though I now rarely use the Sigma with TCs, but my feeling is the 80-400 can still be used with the TC14EII as an emergency birding lens (rather than taking the 3kgs 300/2.8 VRII and TCs) on non-birding trips with my wife.

The main problem I have with the Sigma is focus shift (as proven in testing by Lens Rentals), with an annoying number of shots OOF, even when laying on the ground with fast shutter speeds (so not a technique issue), something the 300/2.8, with or without the TC20EIII, doesn't suffer from.

Does anyone have an opinion on this ? Has focus shift been an issue for anyone with the 80-400 ? I'd imagine that with f4.5-5.6 this would be less of a problem (if any problem at all). Also have you found this lens sharp wide-open and with the TC14EII ?

BTW the cost new here is between US$2,200 and 2,500 (grey import or official) and I can sell the Sigma (less than 6 months old, not the S version) for around US$1,600 - 1,700.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:04 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · NIKKOR 80-400G f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens - Focus Shift etc ?

Frogfish wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion on this ? Has focus shift been an issue for anyone with the 80-400 ? I'd imagine that with f4.5-5.6 this would be less of a problem (if any problem at all). Also have you found this lens sharp wide-open and with the TC14EII ?

I haven't noticed any focus shift - though like you said, you're stopping down a f/5.6 lens.

Sharpness, though, this lens has in spades. I find it pretty reasonable with the TC14EII as well.. I've posted two samples with the TC14 - neither stellar pictures but representative of the results I've been getting:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1220559/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1201544/5

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #3 · NIKKOR 80-400G f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens - Focus Shift etc ?

Thanks BV. I had seen one of those threads before but had totally forgotten about it. Lots of valuable information in them. It seems a very good alternative to the Sigma 120-300, which I often don't take with me on trips with the wife because of the size & weight.

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:39 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · NIKKOR 80-400G f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens - Focus Shift etc ?

Yeah, I love the range & size. I've packed it in my carry-on for two business trips now, just because I can carry only that lens and still have some wider focal lengths and VR for some flexible shooting conditions, something I could never do with my 300mm f/4. I never used to travel with a telephoto, except on vacations.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password