New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Seiko Chronograph

g13a

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seiko Chronograph

Tried strobes on Seiko Chronograph.
Used manual extension tubes with reverse 50mm f1.2 AIS lens on D700 for the shot.

Please share your feedback.

SEIKO by Mohit Khurana, on Flickr

Aug 12, 2013 at 09:38 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seiko Chronograph

Have you considered a smaller aperture or image stacking to expand the DOF?

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seiko Chronograph

Very nice on many levels. Diggin' your placement of selective focus on SEIKO. Even thought the S and O aren't tack sharp (shallow DOF), we still get the message.

My biggest (micro) nit is the fact that the word ALARM and the alarm hands are too sharp as they are also in the plane of focus and we now have to go back and forth between the alarm/hands and the SEIKO, as it competes for attention. Sometimes I intentionally put two different areas in the same plane (flowers @ pistils & petals), but here I think it waters down the message of SEIKO just a bit.

As you know working with tubes and reversal, it will only take a very small adjustment in orientation to change your plane of focus. Just something to watch for. Of course, if you meant for them to both be sharp, that's certainly viable.

Again, much goodness.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM
g13a

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seiko Chronograph

AuntiPode wrote:
Have you considered a smaller aperture or image stacking to expand the DOF?

Aperture was f8,specifically didn't wanted for a smaller aperture since it would require additional strobe.
I could have tried stacking,but didn't had a tripod at the moment I clicked the picture.

RustyBug wrote:
Very nice on many levels. Diggin' your placement of selective focus on SEIKO. Even thought the S and O aren't tack sharp (shallow DOF), we still get the message.

My biggest (micro) nit is the fact that the word ALARM and the alarm hands are too sharp as they are also in the plane of focus and we now have to go back and forth between the alarm/hands and the SEIKO, as it competes for attention. Sometimes I intentionally put two different areas in the same plane (flowers @ pistils & petals), but here I think it waters down the message
...Show more
When I saw the photograph again after I read your post,I realized my mistakes.ALARM and alarm hands are much sharper than SEIKO,where I wanted to use selective focusing.
I think that tripod is necessary for such shots and camera's in built live focusing can be utilized here for getting sharp results.

Thank you for the review.

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seiko Chronograph

You're welcome.

Part of what I like about this image is the tonal transitions and the lack of CA on such a challenging subject (oof @ specular).

I just kinda realized that by reversing, we are also changing the light path @ rates of converging/diverging in reverse as well. It's been a year or so since I've played with some reversing ... might have to revisit it for some renewed reasons.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seiko Chronograph

g13a wrote:
Aperture was f8,specifically didn't wanted for a smaller aperture since it would require additional strobe.
I could have tried stacking,but didn't had a tripod at the moment I clicked the picture.

Or placing the strobe closer....

A tripod is usually considered essential for an image of this sort for anything more than a casual snapshot.

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:37 PM
g13a

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seiko Chronograph

Point noted.I will try with tripod and a strobe closer to subject next time.
Thank You for suggestion.

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.