Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

MS PHOTO
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Hi
I never used auto iso & have a few questions, I want to set up my 1D Mark IV in AV mode with my 400mm f5.6 set to f6.3 and a shutter no less than 1/1250 and iso set to 100-1600. Can someone please let me know how this is done, I guess that I need to use a CF setting?? which one?? I hope this is clear on what I want to do,
Thanks in advance Paul

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:31 AM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #2 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Probably different ways to accomplish this, but if it were me I would set in manual. Go to C.FN I-3 & set the range to 100-1600.
then set aperture to 6.3-
shutter to 1250 and
ISO to auto. . You might have to adjust the shutter to stay in that range.

I shoot my 1D4 in manual a lot with the ISO in Auto with the ISO parameters set to L-3200.(mainly for wildlife).-Hope this helps a little.

Leon

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

I don't use Auto ISO, but it seems pretty straight forward*. See page 65 of the 1DIV manual. Put your 1DIV on M mode with f/6.3 and t =1/1250, then set ISO to "A", and change the ISO range from 100-12800 to 100-1600 (C.Fn I-3), and Bob's your uncle - or not.

If you want a faster shutter speed, then set it there.

* I've never been wrong before, unless I was mistaken.

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:17 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

I have a feeling that the OP may want to use EC as well as Auto-ISO. Otherwise using M mode would make sense and easy to do as Leon and Jim have already mentioned.

If that is the case then there is no easy way unless you are okay with the aperture set to wide open. Then I have found using Tv mode to set the SS, setting the ISO to 100, and then dialling in the EC. Then setting safety shift to ISO. This will keep your SS at the right speed, usually force the aperture wide open and allow the ISO to vary but it will still take into account your EC.

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:48 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Actually none of the solutions are what he is after if he wants Av mode and a min shutter speed of 1/1250 say.

Luckily for the 1 series you can set a minimum shutter speed in the CFn.

I find it best to register the settings, so that in normal use you don't have the minimum shutter speed restriction. Go to CFn 1-12 and set lowest shutter speed to desired value. It might be in whole stop values so you may have to use 1/1600.

This is one of my registered action setups, Av mode, minimum shutter speed of 1/1000 say, and I can use EC in Auto ISO. You can also setup Tv mode the same if you want a certain aperture range only and again you can have EC with Auto ISO, unlike M mode.

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

With the Mark IV, In Manual mode you can set your specific shutter speed, Aperture, then use Auto ISO, then in Custom Settings go to Exposure, C.Fn1, number 16, Enable, Info change, then you dial in EV Compensation + or - 1 Stop using increments of1/8th of a stop! It will not show you have done this while looking through you view finder on your EV scale, but it does work.

Papa.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Papathanassiou wrote:
With the Mark IV, In Manual mode you can set your specific shutter speed, Aperture, then use Auto ISO, then in Custom Settings go to Exposure, C.Fn1, number 16, Enable, Info change, then you dial in EV Compensation + or - 1 Stop using increments of1/8th of a stop! It will not show you have done this while looking through you view finder on your EV scale, but it does work.

Papa.

That's not really EC, but exposure calibration if you find your exposure is a bit out. Also it's not something you can change on the fly. Too bad if you need to dial in +2EV compensation while shooting on snow say. You can get genuine EC in Av and Tv mode with Auto ISO.

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Papathanassiou
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
That's not really EC, but exposure calibration if you find your exposure is a bit out. Also it's not something you can change on the fly. Too bad if you need to dial in +2EV compensation while shooting on snow say. You can get genuine EC in Av and Tv mode with Auto ISO.

I ain't stupid, I know that! Just trying to help the poster another way round his problem! You say a bit out? I would say having a stop to play with plus or minus either way, is more than plenty in most situations. Unless your going to the extreme like shooting snow as you have suggested.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Papathanassiou wrote:
I ain't stupid, I know that! Just trying to help the poster another way round his problem! You say a bit out? I would say having a stop to play with plus or minus either way, is more than plenty in most situations. Unless your going to the extreme like shooting snow as you have suggested.

Didn't say you were stupid and didn't think you were stupid. I'm just pointing out it's not a readily accessible feature, unlike EC which is done by rolling the QCD dial all why looking through the VF. Exposure calibration is fixed unt until you jump back into the menus to change it, and its hard to do anything about it when you suddenly need -1EV?

You don't need snow, even shooting against a sky often requires between 1.33 and 2 stops depending if it's blue or overcast, especially with Canon cameras where pushing shadows too much is not a good idea. You could probably easily get away with +1EV on a D800/D600 however.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #10 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Actually, you can almost have it on the fly if you want, just add the option to my menu, and set your settings so that the my menu is what shows up when you hit the menu button. This worked a majority of the time for what I would shoot.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

TeamSpeed wrote:
Actually, you can almost have it on the fly if you want, just add the option to my menu, and set your settings so that the my menu is what shows up when you hit the menu button. This worked a majority of the time for what I would shoot.

I did think of that option, but you still need to take you eye off the VF and go to to the menu and My Menu and then access the settings. MAkes it easier for sure, but when the action is flying thick and fast, I want to just roll by QCD dial, to adjust EC with no down time.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #12 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Agreed, but I found this method to work quite well during NBA games, the 1D4 had the closest thing to the ideal auto-ISO implementation. I wish Canon would really clean up that feature to make it more user friendly and configurable.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:20 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #13 · Using auto iso question for 1D Mark IV

Haven't used auto ISO but it sounds like a great strategy for fast action in variable low light. I find changing ISO manually to be a bit slow

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password