Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Nikon Stock Holders Here?

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

Thinking about buying some Nikon stock. It's around $18 and keeps going down. If it gets down to $10-$12 I'm jumping in. I shoot Nikon and I believe in the company. So I feel confident the stock will go back up! Any thoughts?

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

It's stock price is down 50% over the last 6 months, totally crashed through two major support levels and is currently sitting at it's 5 year low. I'd want to see signs it's hit a firm bottom before jumping in. (I'd certainly hope the bottom was higher than $12 but given recent trends who knows where it will stop?)

Having good products and being a good investment are sometimes two very different things.

Edited on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

Company needs to get its other divisions (Steppers) back into prominence
Optics alone is a bridge too far
Other alternative is for Nikon to be absorbed into a bigger better managed corporation

Tim

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

Nikon's bad service reputation in the USA can't be good for potential dSLR owners. Some of us are deterred from buying a lot of Nikon stuff out of fear of bad/dishonest service claims and failing to honor warranties with excuses, etc...

Bad reps for oil slicks on sensors, autofocus issues with d800s...and these things are all over the net.

But I suspect that the stock is down also in part because they have been putting out camera bodies with a narrower profit margin than Canon....besides the weak mirrorless sales of course.

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:38 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

The photography industry seems to be at a critical inflection point where the future of its sales or even viability might be in question due to the advancements and ubiquity of cell phone cameras. Yes DSLRs are different from cell phones but the collapse of P&S is leaving a huge hole in Canikon's revenue and R&D budget.

As for Nikon specifically they had a huge hit with the D800/E and D7000 in terms of sales but the D7100 response seems more muted and it'll be interesting to see what Nikon can do with a D800 follow-up to drum up interest. Flaghship bodies like the D4 seem most vulnerable due to the downsizing of PJ departments.

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Thinking about buying some Nikon stock. It's around $18 and keeps going down. If it gets down to $10-$12 I'm jumping in. I shoot Nikon and I believe in the company. So I feel confident the stock will go back up! Any thoughts?

If I had an interest in investing in Nik, I would wait for the fall product announcements before I would invest. They have been bunglers the last few years.

While cell phone cams have decimated the p&s market, it may be short term. The cell phone has gotten a lot more people interested in taking pictures. Many of them will become enthusiasts and buy Nikon/Canon products.

Then we can compliment them for being positioned to take advaqntage of the demand.

Rags

Aug 13, 2013 at 03:03 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

If I were interested in a new camera, I would NOT buy a Nikon, strictly because of how they handled the D600 fiasco, their ridiculous parts distribution policy, their horrible reputation for "impact damage" claims, and other service related issues.

No company should be allowed to get away with how Nikon treats its customers.

No wonder their stock is tanking so hard.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

Well, I noticed Sunday night on the T&V they are in a joint advertising campaign with Wall*Mart and Sams Club eyeglass shops.

Seems they are moving into a lucrative area - eyeglasses have about a millio9n percent markup.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:12 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

RCicala wrote:
It's stock price is down 50% over the last 6 months, totally crashed through two major support levels and is currently sitting at it's 5 year low. I'd want to see signs it's hit a firm bottom before jumping in. (I'd certainly hope the bottom was higher than $12 but given recent trends who knows where it will stop?)

Having good products and being a good investment are sometimes two very different things.

Ain't that the truth - look at Cannondale bicycles (BIKEQ) - great products, but it seems like the stock will never rebound. I've wanted to buy several thousand shares just for the hell of it for a long time now, just don't think it's going to happen.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

I just don't see it as a good investment even if the stock drops further. There are just to many other outside factors that that are hurting the stock and I wouldn't be convinced that they could bounce back. Seems very risky to me.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:25 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

It may make an interesting .01 stock but I wouldn't give .02 for it .Any company that is so fundamentally dishonest in it's dealings with it's customers isn't worth even .02! By the way,
they also treat their dealers like s---t . Sorry too offend any Nikon fans. I happen to shoot Nikon myself.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:40 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

Checkout Thom's comments: actual sales and product info by category. Very depressing and, seemingly, no light at the end of the tunnel for Nikon. Remember Canon is a huge "Imaging" company with all kinds of divisions-cameras are a small part of their revenue.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

I don't doubt Nikon is treating their customers poorly - since half of you guys have all said the same thing. Obviously there's a real problem. But I haven't heard of this before. I've had pretty decent service from their facility in NY. I admit, it's not easy to get someone on the phone who knows what they're talking about. But communication through email has been very accurate, although a tad slow.

Things they've done for me as an NPS member:
Sent me a replacement D800 and 85 1.4G immediately after I dropped mine.
Repaired my D800 and 85 and re-calibrated the pair - came back shooting better than ever.
Sent me a replacement SB-910 immediately after mine suffered sever damage from a drop.
Repaired my SB-910 fairly quickly.
Calibrated my D700 and D800 with a 24-70, 70-200, 50, 85, and 60. Cost $300.

What have they done that disappointed you guys? I'm really curious

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Ghostinz
• •
p.1 #14 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

SoundHound wrote:
Checkout Thom's comments: actual sales and product info by category. Very depressing and, seemingly, no light at the end of the tunnel for Nikon. Remember Canon is a huge "Imaging" company with all kinds of divisions-cameras are a small part of their revenue.

Yeah, and sometimes those other divisions carry the company through tough times. I haven't been privy to what goes on at Canon when it comes to cameras, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are feeling the same pain.

It did make me mad I had to send in my D600, but Nikon stepped up and took care of everything to my knowledge. The turn around time was less than stellar, but so far the camera appears to function flawslessly. I will know more when I put it through its ringers this weekend.

Stock can always be a risky buy as well, and you have buy enough to make it worth while. You cant buy 10 shares and expect miracles. Its always a crap shoot. I wanted to buy some Google stock when it IPO'd, but my investment guy told me not too. At least he told me the same thing when it came to Facebook.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:30 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I don't doubt Nikon is treating their customers poorly - since half of you guys have all said the same thing. Obviously there's a real problem. But I haven't heard of this before. I've had pretty decent service from their facility in NY. I admit, it's not easy to get someone on the phone who knows what they're talking about. But communication through email has been very accurate, although a tad slow.

Things they've done for me as an NPS member:
Sent me a replacement D800 and 85 1.4G immediately after I dropped mine.
Repaired my D800 and 85 and re-calibrated the pair
...Show more

I'm not a NPS Member. Over all the years I have been shooting Nikon (and that goes back to the F1 days), I've only had to avail myself of their repair services twice. Once my fault - got caught out in the rain with my #2 D700.

The second time was a CLA my #1 D700, and have them soup up my PC-E's.

Both times the service was flawless and prompt.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:05 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #16 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

To the original poster's question.

I've had Nikon for.....years. Well over 10. It's a bit of dog with fleas. I was in at about 6?(somewhere in there) and over the years.. You can see, up to 35 and down by half. So if you hold it.. hold it. If you have to get out, use the 5 year average to measure the beating you'll take. I bought in to support the companies I was involved with personally. If I use the product, that should be enough to warrant a look. I'm not scoping out retirement factors on this holding, that's for sure.

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

There is no way I'd buy Nikon stock. Cameras are on the downslide and I don't see anything on the horizon to turn that around. Nikon has other products too such as hunting optics, but that seems to be a pretty stable market. It's bad enough that the value of my Nikon cameras drops like a rock, I don't need to compound that by buying stock. Myself, I've been buying stock in Wells Fargo and Union Pacific Railroad. Both pay out a good dividend and are poised for growth.

Kent in SD

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Nikon Stock Holders Here?

Investors continue to hammer Nikon stock. Hard to make a case to buy here.

Aug 20, 2013 at 07:28 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password