Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · "Have a drink!"

jprezant
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · "Have a drink!"

amonline wrote:
Oooh, I'd never eat during cocktail hour. That doesn't reflect to well with the guests. Might want to rethink that one.

oh my god. I POUND food at cocktail hour. I never rely on dinner being enough for me. And usually before I can
even get one bacon wrapped scallop I have the bride telling me to make sure I eat cocktail hour.

Honestly, I could care less what the guests think of me. My concern is what my clients think of me. And yes, the
guests could be future clients, but if they're so caught up with "OMG did you see that photographer was eating
food at cocktail hour?!" then I don't want them as clients anyways.

Back to the original question, I don't usually drink at weddings, however if I'm handed a beer, or told directly
by the bride and groom, I would have no problem having a drink.

But fireball? Gross. You disgust me chuck.

Aug 18, 2013 at 07:49 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · "Have a drink!"

pette87 wrote:
coke as well

Aug 18, 2013 at 07:56 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · "Have a drink!"

jprezant wrote:
I POUND food at cocktail hour. I never rely on dinner being enough for me.

I've been noticing a trend this year with the dinner meal portions getting smaller - especialy with the "fancy" gourmet-type meals.

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM
tsln

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · "Have a drink!"

I'll usually have one or two.

I covered a wedding last month in La Crosse, WI (for anyone who's spent any time there - it's a drinking city) and was offered a beer right as I was starting my coverage at 11:30 am. I declined until about 8:30. They had Spotted Cow on tap!

Aug 18, 2013 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

photolove84
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · "Have a drink!"

jprezant wrote:
oh my god. I POUND food at cocktail hour. I never rely on dinner being enough for me. And usually before I can
even get one bacon wrapped scallop I have the bride telling me to make sure I eat cocktail hour.

if they're so caught up with "OMG did you see that photographer was eating
food at cocktail hour?!" then I don't want them as clients anyways.

YES! I don't see the big deal refraining from alcohol for the sake of professionalism, but refraining from FOOD?!? umm no. To be expected to go a 10-12 hour day without food is inhumane.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
eephoto
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · "Have a drink!"

photolove84 wrote:
YES! I don't see the big deal refraining from alcohol for the sake of professionalism, but refraining from FOOD?!? umm no. To be expected to go a 10-12 hour day without food is inhumane.

I don't refrain from food...but I don't eat at cocktail hour unless I'm about to pass out. My contract states for longer then 6 hours I have to have a full course meal as well as any 2nds/assistants I bring. So I would hate to be scarfing down at cocktail hour knowing I'm eating a big meal the bride and groom have paid for in under an hour...That's why I bring those YUMMY protein bars to eat in the car on the way to the reception...

I was once photographing a wedding where the bride had an Oyster bar and the "student in training of the videographer" (I say that very loosely because no joke, she filed her nails and sat in my way the entire day!) was the first in line at the Oyster bar as well as went for 3rds and 4ths. Sorry, not appropriate. Let me tell you, I LOVE oysters and I was drooling that day!

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · "Have a drink!"

eephoto wrote:
I don't eat at cocktail hour unless I'm about to pass out.

Usually I don't, either.

Would I like to? Yes, but I'm concerned with the appearance of it. Occasionally, I'll "sample" something quickly. Like this past weekend ... I had two small cheese cubes on a stick and two mini-meatballs on a stick. Something I can eat quickly in one bite without the guests really seeing. (I don't partake, though, if the couple or their parents are right there.)

I actually don't really know how clients would feel about a vendor walking around with a plate of hors d' oeuvres. I suppose if the client has ordered me a served plated meal to be seated with the guests - which has been the norm lately - that cocktail-hour food is included in the price of the meal? But still??

Aug 20, 2013 at 04:31 AM
julian45
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · "Have a drink!"

Never ever ever ever ever ..... and not be mistaken to have ... so I do not even drink coke from a wine glass...

About 10 years ago a couple complained my second drank on the job...he supposedly drank soft drink from a wine glass...

But in a nation whose former prime minister, the legendary Bob Hawke, was once in the Guinness Book of Records for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 2.5 seconds drinking can be an integral part of a wedding celebration from 9am to midnight... I often find myself the only sober male by half way through the night...

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password