Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · "Have a drink!"

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Have a drink!"

I've read a few recent posts regarding drinking at weddings. I'm curious, do you drink alcohol while covering a wedding? Why/Why not?

I do. Not always, but I'll drink a beer or two at about 70% of my weddings. My clients (and their families) almost always tell me to 'help myself' or 'did you get a beer yet?'. Sometimes I'm invited to drink directly with the bride/groom. Drinking is the norm at almost all of the weddings I cover...and I enjoy the occasional beer. I believe that on some minute level drinking a beer at a wedding humanizes me and gives me a bit more access than I might normally get...of course, that could always be the liquid confidence giving me that feeling. But nonetheless, its how I roll.

This is from three weddings back. Bride told me that after the first look they were going to Hooters for Fireballs (and the wings of course). "Chuck, you're doing one!" Most definitely:

Best man, bride, me, maid of honor:

http://ic2.pbase.com/o9/16/753216/1/151789974.OgHs1X9S.fireball.jpg

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Have a drink!"

I don't drink, so when I'm offered a beer/wine/whatever I just pass. I've been asked by some couples to take a shot/have a drink with them, and after letting them know I don't drink I just grab a glass of soda or water and use that as my shot/drink.

Now if I had a 2nd shooter and they were asked as well, I've got no problem having a drink or two. As long as they can hold it

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:13 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Have a drink!"

I'll almost always have a beer at the end of the night but usually not during the course of the day. I did have a wedding last month where the couple insisted on me doing shots before I left. Who am I to argue with a client? I also had a groom insist on me doing a shot with him and the best man before we left for the ceremony (introducing me to Tito's Vodka in the process....love that stuff).

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:16 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Have a drink!"

I never do. I just don't feel comfortable doing so. If I worked at a restaurant where alcohol was served, I wouldn't drink it while I was working. To me it just personally feels irresponsible. Not saying that those who DO drink are so, just saying that for me it isn't something I feel comfortable with.

I did, however, take a sip of moonshine with the groomsmen at a wedding because they refused to let me do their group formals until I did so! Ha.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:23 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Have a drink!"

Generally speaking, I don't do it if it's just some random guest or groomsman egging me on just for the sake of drinking. However, on occasion, when a bride and or groom have asked me personally to have a drink with them, I have obliged. Otherwise, I try to avoid it. No reason really; other than I just want to limit any potential issue driving home.

In all honesty, I think having the bride/groom take the time to include their photographer on such a personal level really shows how they've connected. (that sounded worse than I actually meant - lol) Of course, sometimes it may just be the alcohol talking. That said, I've noticed the clients that fit this role with me have become very close friends after the gig.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Have a drink!"

Titos is the best.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:28 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Have a drink!"

I don't drink alcohol at all. So there's that. But I do stop by the bar every 2 hours or so and gulp down a glass of coke/pepsi for a bit of a caffeine hit. If there are appetizers during cocktail hour I'll also help myself.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:29 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Have a drink!"

Oooh, I'd never eat during cocktail hour. That doesn't reflect to well with the guests. Might want to rethink that one.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:37 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Have a drink!"

I also don't drink alcohol at all, so no fancy strategy for me either.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Have a drink!"

I'm pretty much the same. It often seems important to them that I have a good time while I'm working taking their pictures, and I do it probably 70% of the time.

One of my clients said they decided to book me when, after the e-session, they invited met to have a beer, and I did. He was a hockey player, she was a teacher, and having beers/socializing was important to them. Having that beer (or two) showed I could fit in with them. They had bought the e-session on a special offer I put out through The Wedding Channel, and then I shot their wedding. Definitely had beers there, too!

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:53 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Have a drink!"

canerino wrote:

My clients (and their families) almost always tell me to 'help myself' or 'did you get a beer yet?'. Sometimes I'm invited to drink directly with the bride/groom.

I want your clients. Almost never am I asked to have a drink.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Have a drink!"

I do, usually a glass of wine or two (at end of the night). most of my clients are really cool so they ask me anyway. and when I get married I'll surely ask everyone if they want a drink.

Edited on Aug 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:02 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Have a drink!"

I usually wait until it's offered from the Bride or Groom, which almost always happens.

I've learned that Polish and Russian weddings, it's mandatory to do at least one shot with the Bride and Groom. I had one Polish wedding where the Bride and Groom insisted I do shots with them at every table as they went around and got pictures with everyone. I eventually stumbled out and slept in my car that night. In the morning I had to apologize to my wife for being an idiot. She didn't seem sympathetic towards my hangover at all.

Edited on Aug 12, 2013 at 03:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:02 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Have a drink!"

canerino wrote:
I believe that on some minute level drinking a beer at a wedding humanizes me

I would think you're right about that - especially if you've been asked.

I think a case could be made that accepting a drink with them would tend to make them feel better about you as a person and therefore more inclined to refer. Accepting an offered drink is good for business.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:04 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "Have a drink!"

I don't drink at weddings because I feel strongly that one should not mix business with pleasure. I also do not want to be sitting there taking a break during dinner and enjoying just 1 single beer and have a guest walk in and think I am in there pounding down beers. You just never know what people will think when they see you with a drink.

Now I do not look down on people that have a drink at a wedding. Thats is great if you do and are comfortable doing it. I just won't while I work. Now after my gig is over, that is a different story. I will have one or two. Usually I just pack up and go home. I am also scared of getting pulled over and having a beer or 2 in my system. Laws are stiff around here and 2 beers may not even do anything to me. Just in case I guess

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "Have a drink!"

friscoron wrote:
One of my clients said they decided to book me when, after the e-session, they invited met to have a beer, and I did. ... having beers/socializing was important to them. Having that beer (or two) showed I could fit in with them.

Hey! Well that just confirmed what I was saying above: that drinking with them could be good for business!

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "Have a drink!"

I can probably count on one hand the times that I've had a drink at a wedding. The only times I'll really do it is if they are straight up insistent on it OR if its a very low key (destination type) wedding and they tell me to.

I don't have a problem with it in theory and I don't think any of our clients would ever care, but I'm always worried about the perception it leaves with the parents/guests/venue.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:11 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "Have a drink!"

No I don't.

Reasons - basically two.

So many of my weddings are shot outside, no air conditioning - I'm usually sweating like a pig. Alcohol will not help this.

The other - I would never want anything that goes wrong to be blamed on "well we saw the photographer drinking." I mean anything - someone falls, I fall, step on the bride's dress, drop a lens in a cake, a card gets lost, etc., etc. Nothing like this has ever happened - I just don't want the day that it does to be a day I have a straight shot of Tequila.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "Have a drink!"

only wine
only one glass
only at the table

these are my rules for me and my seconds

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:21 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "Have a drink!"

I only drink water and I do that in minimal quantities. I don't want to be making extra trips to the head when I should be photographing the wedding. I keep chilled water in an insulated container in my car and that is what I use to rehydrate on the drive home.

If someone needs alcohol to be "human" they should not be working as a wedding photographer. I have had second photographers who could not resist the free booze and after seeing them down several glasses of wine I have opted not to use them for future weddings.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.