New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · EBAY Alternatives

gene A.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EBAY Alternatives

After being a registered user on EBAY since 1997 I am reaching a point where I don't want to do business with them anymore, and I am trying to weigh the alternatives. Are there any other auction sites people here have used with success. Have you been successful moving equipment on the Buy and Sell forum here. I have tried Craigslist but haven't had much luck there especially with more expensive equipment. I would really appreciate input from others who have decided to quit EBAY and what has worked for you. Thanks

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:30 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EBAY Alternatives

I also been using ebay since 01 I think but I stop buying and selling gears.. if I am looking for something cheap and have lots of time, I'll use it.

when it comes to photo gear, I use FM and or other forums.
Most of users on here usually have good idea so you dont have to described what it does and what it is
also, you can easily check their feedbacks and paypal is safe as long as you use it correctly.
I think Craigslist is worse than ebay unless it's a local deal. just my 2 cents.

/r
Andy

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EBAY Alternatives

I've been active since 2002 on eBay. Currently have 646 buy/sell at 100% positive. I'm sticking with them. I've also had good success with local Kijiji sales, and so I usually list there first. I'll deal with "known" members on FM, no problem, but I had a major FM sale fall through with no recourse. I refunded seller's original payment but I had to eat the extra charges when the 300/2.8L IS was refused at delivery.

Aug 12, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EBAY Alternatives

I'd vote for this sites buy and sell. Only problem is that there is so much stuff there! Bidding is not my thing (anymore), rather just make a reasonable offer and be done with it. YMMV

Aug 12, 2013 at 09:31 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EBAY Alternatives

I've also used eBay for more than 10 years. It was a superb tool and a social/technological break thru when it began. But . . . over the years as we've been forced into fewer and fewer options (the requirement that only PayPal be used was a biggy) my distaste has grown. Like all monopolies (Adobe comes to mind), when they gain power they stop being about their customers and focus totally on quarterly profit statements. The problem is I see few alternatives. I mostly do camera buy/sell here on FM. Prices can be slightly higher but the users of this forum are generally a knowledgeable and honorable bunch. Sure there are exceptions, but they're few.

For anything else, I don't have options. I'm 150 miles with a city with an active craigslist which sort of defeats the whole premise of CL. Yes, one gets wacko's off CL but being local and cash, one has fairly good protection. I really don't know of any other way to buy/sell things beyond fleabay. Would love to hear of an alternative.

Robert

I've actually tired to communicate my concerns to the eBay management. Never got past the auto-response "Thank you for your input."

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM
RyanDuggar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EBAY Alternatives

I too am sick of ebay, their fees and complete lack of customer service. Heck, a seller can't even leave negative feedback.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EBAY Alternatives

Um... here is a start.

But if you're asking members here if we like to use the B/S here-- methinks you'll get a biased opinion. Especially from those of us who have B/S turned on (aka we pay for it).

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EBAY Alternatives

To buy and sell I have used this site and Astromart with success. My only purchases from Ebay have been through dealers.
Steve

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EBAY Alternatives

I sell mainly on eBay and have a 1561 buy/sell, with 100% rating. I also use the forum here, but it is a bit hit and miss and sometimes I can get more on eBay, or items won't even attract interest here (where they sell easily on eBay).

I don't like all the fees and taxes now associated with eBay sales, and prefer FM when possible. Paypal is a godsend for transactions, even with its fees.

I've used craigslist a few times for sales, and a few times for purchases -- got my 28-300L there for $1700 with local meeting, which I consider a great deal.

I recently got my 17/4 TSE on eBay for the same price, and although it needed a touch of work from Canon, the buyer paid the cost, and I'm assured an outstanding lens, fully adjusted -- practically a refurb! I couldn't have afforded these lenses new or at higher used prices.

Then, here at FM, I got the 1D3 and 100-400L IS, each for $1000, which I consider terrific deals!

Basically, it takes all sort of outlets for buying and selling gear. All can work, but I wouldn't rely on just one.

It is hard to avoid eBay if you are buying or selling used gear. Overall, I've had terrific results on both ends of sales -- except those darned fees and taxes!

(Don't overlook using dealers like KEH, Adorama, and B&H!)

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EBAY Alternatives

I have been scammed both on eBay and on FM Buy & Sell.

EBay certainly has more selection, but it is heavily prejudiced against Sellers nowadays. Still a great site to buy from though.

Regardless where you buy and sell, you must carefully check feedback and be certain a user's account has not been stolen.

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:55 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EBAY Alternatives

Ed Peters wrote:
I'd vote for this sites buy and sell. Only problem is that there is so much stuff there! Bidding is not my thing (anymore), rather just make a reasonable offer and be done with it. YMMV

+1

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:19 PM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EBAY Alternatives

I generally use here, POTN and then Kijiji / Craigslist for local. I haven't bought or sold on eBay in years, but from what I've heard it is almost dangerous to be a seller there these days.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:25 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EBAY Alternatives

I use UK ebay a lot and have bought and sold over 800 items over about 11 years, but I would be reluctant to sell via ebay now as their fees are so high and if anything whatsoever goes wrong ebay go strongly with the buyer.

For buying inexpensive items ebay is still brilliant IMO

Paypal are also utterly useless

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:36 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EBAY Alternatives

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I haven't sold anything on eBay for years. I use Craigslist locally. I take high quality images of everything I am selling, write a clear description that usually reflects a much higher level of expertise than other listings. Talk with prospective buyers on the phone before moving forward with a deal. I get incredible results. Items are priced to sell and they are usually gone within 24 hours. Generally, people just come to my house and pickup the items. Although one buyer a while back wanted to meet at a local Starbucks on a 5DII sale. Treat everyone with respect and consideration and you should get results.

This is about as easy as it can get: no fees, no shipping, cash transactions, just a few friendly conversations and a few moments with the buyer. I'm pretty sure that I am about to realign my kit a little and will be putting Craigslist to the test this time around with a 7D, 17-55, 10-22, 580EXII, 2x 430EX and a few other items. In the past, I have sold five bodies ... all went quickly for good prices. But, my items are always in like new or great condition.

I do use eBay for purchases these days, but the volume is low and often the prices are also low. I have 142 feedbacks, 100% positive. I might give eBay a try again soon because I found a mint Fujifilm F31 the other day that I should have sold years ago and feel eBay might help me connect with someone that is looking for this cult classic P&S.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EBAY Alternatives

justruss wrote:
Um... here is a start.

But if you're asking members here if we like to use the B/S here-- methinks you'll get a biased opinion. Especially from those of us who have B/S turned on (aka we pay for it).

Not necessarily.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1233666/0#11737635

i.e. I have B&S turned on (you gets what you pays for: FM, that is), yet I prefer eBay and Kijiji.

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:35 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EBAY Alternatives

Like the OP I don't particularly like Ebay but for me it is a necessary evil. If your in a very small market area Craigslist is not a very good option nor is Buy and Sell for what I deal in, mostly MF glass. I have actually had worse experience on Ebay buying than selling. A lens arrived yesterday, dirt cheap for what it was and the blades were completely locked up and stuck wide open. 10mins after I opened the package I contacted the seller. "Well it didn't leave here like that" . Late June I got a bargain on a fisheye. The guy had 2 items for sale. An apple cord and the lens. He sent the cord to me and the lens to a guy in Canada. FM is not always a picnic either. Sold a like new 300 F4 AF-S. He got it and said it squealed. I got it back, it did not make a sound and after having it checked out sold it to another FM'er. He has been using it for over a year. I think if you buy and sell you will have problems no matter where and you just have to be careful.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
justme78783

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EBAY Alternatives

Hello guys , it seems more and more long standing ebay buyer and sellers , are getting dissapointed by ebay's treatment towards them . It seems that ebay , thinks that is that big , that does not care anymore , about its sellers .

Anywayz , personally , i heard , about an ebay alternative , that got created , by some not-that-happy ex ebay sellers .

It is : Bivver online auctions , for anyone interested , go here --- http://www.bivver.com .

I have listed around 20 different items , and have had 10 sales in a span of 2 months . Not much , but i dont complain , because the listing fees are zero , nada !! I pay them just a 2,9 % commision fee if my product sells .

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:59 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EBAY Alternatives

to me it has been a necessary evil, since 1996 or so, my second purchase, of a leather jacket at $200, never came, and I was never compensated, should have told me to run, I did not, over the years, of being very happy, buying, and selling, at times receiving what seemed to be an unneeded neutral feedback, by means of regretful buying, sent me, and my over 2k feedback, to eventually give up, and close that account, only, to eventually in the recent years go back, in order to buy more camera equipment, and liquidate those, at a loss, that I did not need, or want. My current eBay account is fine, lower than the old, and in good standing, for now, yet, I have still the same feelings of unease, when it comes to buying, and selling, when I know for a fact, that when I am accused, I will most likely lose! I list photo's of high quality of my sold items, and as much detail as possible, I offer worldwide shipping, in a form of helping those that want, but can't find, in their respective countries, an item, bur still, I have those times, that especially when buying it seems, that make me nervous! I had recently "won" a Nikkor 85mm 1.4D lens, at a decent price, paid on the spot, asked the buyer, from my state, to send it USPS, if possible, they obliged, they sent a tracking, I then waited, and waited, and waited, and despite my loss of confidence, I waited even longer, than any sane animal would, and eventually weeks, past by, I filed claim, and received my damned tainted money, from the seller, that continued to offer excuse, after excuse! I lost not only the use of my money, but the time I would have spent documenting my family's life, which has become very important even more so, after the severe illness of my daughter! I hate the people, not the eBay, although, eBay, along with their cohort, PayPal, seems to favor those bent on malevolence!

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:56 AM
PeteT
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EBAY Alternatives

eBay is no long the community of traders, buyers and sellers it used to be. Now it's simply an extension of corporate america pushing their overpriced gear out of old fashioned brick and mortar stores onto the internet with no real understanding on how to do business on the web.

When you were buying used gear from fellow real people on ebay - it was ok to have to wait a day or so for answers to something because you got a stellar deal. But now its all corporate sellers who use this as a cheap way to sell stuff at their normal retail price and they take the overhead and customer service savings as extra profit!

So I I've been looking for a Think Tank Retrospective 50v2 for a while. Its the same price on ebay as it is on Think Tank's site. Not a single used one... but I can call Think Tank - Guess who I'm buying it from?!!?!?

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:09 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EBAY Alternatives

I've bagged eBay after 11 yrs...their insane fees and PayPal BS finally did me in
Priced right it'll sell here no prob. Ask someone with a few hundred transactions under
their belt how they do it. Ok, I price it right and accurately describe what I'm selling.
It's a tough economy but realistic pricing will git 'er done. Those items that go round
and round, bump after bump are overpriced. Most things should turn with <500 views.
(~1000 positives combining 11 yrs eBay/9 on FM/5 on the Nikon Cafe...can't hurt)

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.