Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Mac purchase advice for PC user?

Haplo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mac purchase advice for PC user?

leftcoastlefty wrote:
Here is the summary list of differences:

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

The Air looks really thin because it is tapered on the sides, but that same taper limits what ports and drives can be included. Comparing the 13.3-inch Air and Pro, the most obvious physical differences is that the Pro model gets a SuperDrive and Firewire and in general can get more horsepower, gigabytes, etc… On the downside, the display of the Pro model is slightly lower resolution. The Air is .68 inches thick, whereas the Pro is .95 inches. That's only a 1/4 inch difference. If you get the 13-inch Pro with Retina,
...Show more

First of all, apologies for my delayed response, I've been too busy... Thanks again for the input! The SuperDrive is something I hadn't considered, and quite possibly I wouldn't have noticed that it wasn't there before I'd try to use it... But as you say, it's only the non-Retina Pro that has it now, and if I were to go for the Pro I'm leaning towards the Retina edition. It's not the most often used thing on my PC, so I'm sure I can do without, and as someone mentions below, a cheap external unit can be bought.

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Haplo

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mac purchase advice for PC user?

cputeq wrote:
(...)
Let me be clear - the laptop is not perfect. First, Apple doesn't really let you "see" the real resolutions of the screen, one must get a utility for that (I'm using the excellent SwitchResX).

But, open switching the laptop to full resolution (around 5MP or so which is huge for a monitor), one's photos look absolutely amazing. This has really changed my outlook on how I use the laptop. I have a simple shot of some leaves, which is sharp already. I output the file to native resolution of the rMBP, set my screen resolution to the 1:1 and then
...Show more

Thanks for your very nice write-up! I wasn't familiar with what you call native 1:1 resolution, is it the software SwitchResX that lets you set that? I finally got a chance to drop by a store and look at both the Air and Pro and I only found the Apple descriptions of resolution. (Best for retina, 1920x scaled and so on.)

In addition they were running in demo-mode (all programs running got killed when the screensaver turned on, for instance), so I didn't really get a feel for their performance. The Air was simply very slow, and exhibited some "stuttering" when scrolling, switching windows and so on, which I haven't really seen on Macs before, so I attribute that to the demo-mode. The Retina Pro was slightly faster, but still exhibited this stuttering.

The last image you posted, everything was so tiny! How can you work with that? I tested switching to 1920x scaled and that was plenty small enough for me. But for sure, it is nice to have the option. I've noted the application and will be sure to try it should I go for the Pro. I will need a little more time with them though, to see if it's really worth it to me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:31 PM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mac purchase advice for PC user?

Haplo wrote:
Thanks for your very nice write-up! I wasn't familiar with what you call native 1:1 resolution, is it the software SwitchResX that lets you set that? I finally got a chance to drop by a store and look at both the Air and Pro and I only found the Apple descriptions of resolution. (Best for retina, 1920x scaled and so on.)

Yes, SwitchResX (and I'm sure others) let you get the "real" resolution of the screen on the retina. Windows of course also allows this.

Apple hides the true 1:1 scaling because frankly it's an insane resolution "Retina" resolution on the Macbook is actually a scaled 1440x900 resolution, which if you notice is 1/2 the native 2880x1800.

Some details on the resolutions here:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/pixelpalooza-ars-reviews-the-15-retina-macbook-pro/3/

In addition they were running in demo-mode (all programs running got killed when the screensaver turned on, for instance), so I didn't really get a feel for their performance. The Air was simply very slow, and exhibited some "stuttering" when scrolling, switching windows and so on, which I haven't really seen on Macs before, so I attribute that to the demo-mode. The Retina Pro was slightly faster, but still exhibited this stuttering.

There is a slight amount of stuttering on my rMBP and I typically only really notice it when I'm scrolling quickly. I believe it's from the laptop typically using the on-chip Intel 4000 GPU instead of the nVidia GPU. I have a utility that will let me force the nvidia GPU and the stuttering is barely perceptible, but still there (so perhaps it's also an artifact of the screen scaling also?). I noticed this too when I started using it, but for the most part I really don't notice it now. About the only time I really see it is when I open a program (light Lightroom) that is dedicated to one of my desktops -- so it opens and switches desktops all at once, and there is slight jerk. Still, it's faster than my iMac 2010 (12GB ram, 1TB 7200rpm HDD) doing then same thing.

The last image you posted, everything was so tiny! How can you work with that? I tested switching to 1920x scaled and that was plenty small enough for me. But for sure, it is nice to have the option. I've noted the application and will be sure to try it should I go for the Pro. I will need a little more time with them though, to see if it's really worth it to me.

It's tiny but it's a bit better one you're actually seeing it on the screen The screen is so sharp that really I can read the native 1:1 text, but yes it IS small. Sometimes I'll just keep it at 1680 scaled or 1920x scaled.

And a bit more information -- I know you didn't ask about gaming, but let me say, running Skyrim on my bootcamp partition in native 2880x1800 resolution is absolutely amazing. I'm averaging about 25-35 FPS, which isn't the smoothest, but the look of everything is stunning. Yay wasting time I'm 37-years-old but I'm not sure I'll grow up quite yet!

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:31 PM
tjambga

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mac purchase advice for PC user?

Hi everyone. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I just recently purchased my first Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I'm thankful that I did because being new to the Mac, I'm relatively LOST! How about deer in head lights look. Okay, not that bad but close.

I use Lightroom 5 and have already made the change from my LR5 PC to the LR5 for Mac; however, have not copied any of my photos from my PC hard drive or my LR5 PC catelogs as I am concerned of the memory issues on the new MacBook Pro.

My questions would be: 1) Would you recommend that I wait to purchase an external memory hard drive and transfer my photos and my LR5 PC catelogs to the external hard drive first or go a head and transfer them straight from the PC to the new Mac? 2) If I purchase an external memory hard drive, do I have to purchase a Mac specific external memory hard drive? I am NOT a fan of the Passport as I have had one in the past that crashed on me with a PC. Any recommendations?

THANK YOU!!!!
Terri

external Western Digital USB 3.0 2 TB portable drive vs. OWC drives

Sep 03, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mac purchase advice for PC user?

tjambga wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I just recently purchased my first Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I'm thankful that I did because being new to the Mac, I'm relatively LOST! How about deer in head lights look. Okay, not that bad but close.

I use Lightroom 5 and have already made the change from my LR5 PC to the LR5 for Mac; however, have not copied any of my photos from my PC hard drive or my LR5 PC catelogs as I am concerned of the memory issues on the new MacBook Pro.

My
...Show more

terri, here's what I did in my migration from PC to imac .

bought a new drive to COPY all my images and other data onto . this was a 1gb drive and was formatted NTFS .
i transfered all my images (and other stuff) onto it.
I then copied all the images to my imac internal drive
I formatted the external to NFS (or whatever the mac format is)
I copied the images and LRcat over to that drive .

I also have another exteranal drive which is twice as big which is my Time Machine drive

my drives are small 2.5 inch USB3 (bus powered) . the 1TB is a WD (not the passport one) and the 2TB is a toshiba.

I didnt really need fast drives (although they are decent speeds) as I have a Fushion drive 1TB in the imac and this houses the latest images and data. I transfer to the external when ive worked on the images .

as for Rabbit in the headlights with te mac. I must say i was preparing to be confused all the time when trying to find things in the OS but I find it very simple to work with . infact ive only had the imac a couple of months (first ever mac experience) and yesterday i needed to change a couple of settings on a work machine that had been badly setup and it took me 10 mins to find what i needed . Ive used windows since the year dot and in 2 months ive forgotten most of it
oh and dont get me started on Win 8 bought my wife a win8 ultra book (Len Yoga which is a nice bit of kit). and whenever she asks me to do something im just left starring at the screen or going round in circles trying to find what im looking for . If it was mine it would be a brocken heap in the corner by now . What a POS for an OS !

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password