New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Thoughts on Processing

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Processing

First let me say I am not a Wedding photographer, I shot a friend's daughter's Wedding last year as her daughter liked my photography. Pre-processed in LR5 with additional edits using CS6. Thanks in advance, Barbara

Aug 11, 2013 at 07:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Processing

Barbara,
I am eager to learn as well, and anticipate Karen's usual thoughtful and deft critique and rework. Portraiture was her specialty.
From a much more amateur view,
First, great capture! I cant imagine they dont love this image. The timing, interaction, expressions, pose....all came together beautifully. It makes me smile. The warmth of the moment is infectious!
Second, processing. What did they think? Is this consistent with the style they previously enjoyed and are expecting? It looks technically well-executed with excellent control of the whites and, to my eye the color temp/balance looks right. Personally, I would deepen the blacks for a bit more contrast and depth, but it is a stylistic choice. Background appears relatively desaturated for a quiet look, again a stylistic decision that I am assuming they like. Is there something about the processing you are not pleased with?
Scott

Aug 11, 2013 at 08:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on Processing

+1 @ all the goodness in the capture.

I'm seeing about 10-15 pts less green (i.e. more magenta) in the neutrals, both black and white, in several areas. Might want to check on your end. If your good, then I need to recal.

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:08 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on Processing

Excellent capture of the moment and good compo. I'd make some P.P. suggestions similar to the the suggestions for the previous post:

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on Processing

Scott, Kent and Karen, thank you each for your comments and suggestions. When I was first posting the image I thought the skin tones were too yellow / green so I overcompensated toward magenta. I like Karen's version and might consider bumping the contrast a touch more. At the moment, my processing style is leaning toward desaturated backgrounds and bright mid tones and highlights. I always appreciate sharing of your thoughts re: processing and learn / see what other schools of thought are regarding particular images.

Scott, yes the Bride loves this style of processing and it is something that I am just experimenting with at my leisure. I do send her the images and she really like the way I am processing the images.

Kent, you are correct on the magenta tone increase but it was done intentionally albeit pushed to much to the magenta side.

Re-work posted

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on Processing

Oh, I figured you'd done the desaturation intentionally, but I'm sort of a visual curmudgeon when it come to standard photo fare like portraits and wedding photos. I always wonder whether the recipients will like the images ten year from now when fashions have changed a few times. Much as I like novelty, for some applications I remain rather hopelessly conservative.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on Processing

I tend to be conservative with image processing as well but I do like some alternate styles as well. I don't like to stray to far from the original but since these are extra photos using alternate processing methods she has something extra from the wedding day.

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts on Processing

Gotcha @ creative license to augment other conservative/neutral images from set.

Glad to hear I don't need to recal that much. Kinda scared me for a moment.

Aug 12, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts on Processing

Kent, your color calibration is good, no worries

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:32 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.