Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Superzoom help needed.

Cicopo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Superzoom help needed.

Background: Canon shooter since the 70's but thanks to Will's (Trenchmonkey's) vast array of great action photos using the 70-300 VR I took the plunge on Friday & bought a D7100 & 70-300 to try for my Radio Control Events. I had a fun fly I could attend & use it as the test shoot but only a little bit of time to learn how to set up the camera but I think I'm close enough for now. My keeper rate was LOW but I'll take the blame for that because it did get some very sharp images. Unfortunately 70 mm is too long on the wide end for a lot of what I'd like it to do. My current Canon set up is a 1Ds2 & 28-300 L IS plus a 1D4 & 100-400 L IS (they get heavy while standing along the flight line in the sun for 7 hours). My thinking was that the FOV of the D7100 at 300 mm would be very close to what the 1D4 at 400 mm has & that proved true but the D7100 has more pixels per plane when cropped which is really good.
Knowing that superzooms are a compromise but having been reasonably satisfied by the early version of the Tamron 18-270 VC can anyone compare it's AF performance to the Nikon 70-300 or the other Nikon superzooms? There seems to be a big hole in Nikon mount lenses vs Canon for what I shoot.

These are the best of what I got yesterday & they confirm that the lens is sharp The Hurricane is at full speed which would be in the 70-80 MPH range. The GeeBee however was much slower.

And for anyone interested this is the link to my R/C albums & what I'll accept as decent in flight photos. The season's big event is this Sat & I'm the main (volunteer) photographer so have to get good results.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tcprcphotos

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:06 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Superzoom help needed.

the nikon 28-300 is a stellar one lens solution and my go to lens for many assignments where i have good light

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
MichGoBlue
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Superzoom help needed.

The Tamron is going to be even softer especially at the long end. I second the 28-300 if you really need an all in one solution, but I think your 70-300 is going to be better on the long end. AF for the 28-300 is a little slower than the 70-300 from my experience - but probably better than the Tamron.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Superzoom help needed.

jmcfadden wrote:
the nikon 28-300 is a stellar one lens solution and my go to lens for many assignments where i have good light

+1. I had the lens for a while and even at 300mm it was tack sharp especially at f/8. The lens is well built and AF is reasonably fast. I honestly found it better than the 70-300VR. For the $800 it's going for it's really a steal.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Superzoom help needed.

Thanks everyone. It does have to be a 1 lens solution because of the venue. At most events I'm right in with the pilots (a restricted area unless you're flying or acting as a spotter) & have 4 different planes in the circuit to keep track of / photograph. 1 may be taking off or doing a low pass or touch & go while another may be doing aerobatics out across the runway zone and another could be flying inverted etc. As one lands when low on fuel another takes off & it stays like that until they close the flight line for dinner. This is the flight line I'm shooting this Sat.

As for the 28-300 it looks to be a bit cheaper here in Canada than in the US running between $950 - $1050 + 13% in taxes.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Superzoom help needed.

Any other opinions on other lens choices? Any opinions of the 18-300 vs the 28-300 re AF speed & accuracy. I don't need perfect images at the really wide end but do from about 150 mm & up.

Larry

Aug 13, 2013 at 05:19 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Superzoom help needed.

I have the 28-300 VR and I find that it is a reasonably good lens. It is a compromise, and in reality all lenses are compromises in some way or other... weight, IQ, price... so, you just got to choose which compromises you are willing to live with.

Good luck with your choice.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:47 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Superzoom help needed.

Cicopo wrote:
As for the 28-300 it looks to be a bit cheaper here in Canada than in the US running between $950 - $1050 + 13% in taxes.

There's a Canadian one for sale on the Buy & Sell forum here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1231026

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Superzoom help needed.

I realize I need to live with some compromises but I'm hoping to find out what works without buying & trying as many Canon mount lenses as I did to get where I am with their stuff. There just aren't a lot of people shooting these events with decent gear to get help locally. I have to use slow shutter speeds for prop blur so IQ & AF become a bit more important than when able to rely on fast shutter speeds.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Superzoom help needed.

I'd add another vote for the 28-300. Seems to me the best overall solution for you. Nice shots!

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:45 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Superzoom help needed.

The 2nd shot's a stunner, Larry Doubt the much more expensive 28-300 could match that IQ @300mm.
Stopping down like you would for prop blur the only other zoom option would be the overpriced 80-400 variable
aperture release or Rodolfo's P&J...the 200-400 f4 VR II. That is THE premier airshow glass for everyone I know.
(10 to 1 zooms ARE handy one lens solutions but will not yield optimal results at either end. I have extensive amt
of time with them from my Canon days as well...35-350L/28-300L and they were best at 50-300 and 40-270 + or -)

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Superzoom help needed.

Thanks guys. Will I still have my 35-350 but after swapping between it & the 28-300 L at an event earlier this season I saw a big jump in AF speed on the 28-300 so the 35-350 will be sold after the final event in Sept. Depending on how this D7100 works out I may go for the new 80-400 which would save thinking I need a 500 f4 L IS somewhere down the road. I couldn't hand hold one of those but the 80-400 is a whole different thing. The weather forecast for the event this Sat looks near perfect so hopefully I can learn a bit more about the AF & get some good results but I'll also be carrying both of my Canon setups.
Fortunately you people have that 80-400 images thread as well as the D7100 images thread so I'm starring at some stunning images & learning just what can be done. Lots of very talented people to learn from but who also say it like it is when a lens is less than "as advertised".

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Superzoom help needed.

Given the obvious compromises inherent in a superzoom, you may also want to consider some sort of holster or harness system that'll allow you to easily carry and use two D7100 bodies. Then you can have a 16-85 on one and an 80-400 on the other.

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:09 PM
guyharrison
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Superzoom help needed.

For the 7100, nikon makes a dx 18-300 zoom. It seems that would fulfill your every need with a single lens.

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:30 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Superzoom help needed.

A friend of mine was the official zoo photographer at the Nashville Zoo and the 28-300 was his primary one lens solution around the zoo. He had almost every other tele and super-tele but he chose that zoom for it's wide range but only shot with it outside and during sunny days . . .

Aug 14, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Superzoom help needed.

I already have the Op/tech dual harness & use it with my Canons BUT have added another pair of quick release straps which will hang the Nikon down in front of me. I will only be using a 3 body combo for a while to compare images because this weekends event is important & I can't blow it.

http://optechusa.com/dual-harness.html

Aug 14, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Superzoom help needed.

Another vote for the 28-300.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:57 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Superzoom help needed.

I thought I'd update this by saying I shot the big event with all 3 bodies & the Nikon performed quite well (using the 70-300) especially when comparing the prices of the different combos. Keeper rate was much better & I must say that considering that I've haven't had time to dial in any custom settings the SOOC jpg's are VERY nice. I bought a set of Sandisk Extreme Pro cards for it & I don't remember being locked out by the small buffer but I was being careful while blasting away. The buffer is definitely too small in today's world. For those interested I've edited the photos from the D7100 & these made the cut. Total number of frames for the day was just over 2600 so I've got a lot of editing to do quickly because I've got another event on Friday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TCPRCphotos/IMAANikonUl?authkey=Gv1sRgCMHEo6bshqHmIA

I suspect I'll order the 28-300 as my 1 lens solution and will need it soon but not necessarily for this weekends event which is a 3 day aerobatics competition.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password