Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

davalan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

I have the mark 2 extender and have never been very impressed with the results in anything but ideal light conditions. I would like to use it with my 500 F4L (mark 1 version) but find the performance is unacceptable in most of the lighting that I end up shooting in.

My question: is it worth upgrading to the mark 3 extender or is this latest version of the extender designed to compliment the latest Mark 2 500mm F4L only?
I would also like to use the extender with my 70-200mm F2.8L zoom also the mark 1 version.

Does anyone out there use the combination of mark 1 500 F4 and mark 3 1.4x extender?

Advice from users who have upgraded extenders would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

The 500/4 IS is better with the 1.4x III than the 1.4x II, especially in having less CA. I have not found the 1.4x II unacceptable on the 500/4 IS, although I prefer to stop down at least 2/3 with any 1.4x.

EBH

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

davalan wrote:
...Does anyone out there use the combination of mark 1 500 F4 and mark 3 1.4x extender?

Yes, it's a great combination.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
davalan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

EB-1 With my combination I find the sharpness suffers quite a lot. Maybe I just have a poor copy. My bare 500 mark 1 is super sharp but with the 1.4 I noticeably 'off' - Thanks

J colwell thats a great shot and looks to be nice and sharp in 'challenging' conditions to say the least.

I am using the combo on a 1D4.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

You must have a dud mk II extender, as I used that combo of 500 mk I + 1.4 mk II for several years and found the IQ excellent, even wide open at 700mm. A mk III when compared to a good mk II doesn't make much of a difference IQ wise; it's a bit better in the corners and maybe has a wee bit more contrast, but not worth the extra coin on a mk I lens IMO. It makes more sense on a mk II lens, where it will give better AF response. Om my mk I 500, I didn't see any improvement in IQ and my AF success rate was lower than with my mk II. However, on my mk II 500, the mk III TC did a lot better.

If I had the chance I would try another mk II extender and see if you do have a dud before spending a lot more on the mk III. Get the mk III if you are going to update your 500.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

Pixel Perfect wrote:
You must have a dud mk II extender...

Worth looking into. They can be very sensitive to impact. I dropped my new 1.4X III on the first day that I owned it. One simple bounce off a hardwood floor, from waist height, and it was toast. I got my second 1.4x III about a week later. Cost of repair exceeded cost of a new one.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

davalan wrote:
J colwell thats a great shot and looks to be nice and sharp in 'challenging' conditions to say the least.

Thanks, David. That one is on a 1DX. I was using a 1DIV with no extender at the same site, on the previous week.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

I too shoot with a 1DIV and my 1.4x III "lives" on my 500 ver1. Previously I used a 1.4x II, and I was hesitant about making the switch because there were some conversations on FM and others that the type III wouldn't make a difference.... well, my experience has shown that it does! And I'm also periodically using the type III 2x as well, and have been astonished by the IQ from that combination too.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

davalan wrote:
EB-1 With my combination I find the sharpness suffers quite a lot. Maybe I just have a poor copy. My bare 500 mark 1 is super sharp but with the 1.4 I noticeably 'off' - Thanks

I have three of the 1.4x II and they are all optically similar. One was destroyed when the mount tore off, but it was fine until then. Of course some IQ is lost with a TC, but not very much with a sharp prime.

Is it possible that you have a focusing issue? Did you set a separate microfocus adjust with the TC?

EBH

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
davalan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

I have thought perhaps my 1.4x is suspect for a while but I have never dropped it or banged it. I would like to test another if I can borrow one - will look into that.

EB-1, No I haven't microfocus adjusted with the combination, Does the camera recognise the TC is attached and which lens its attached to then apply the correct mfa?

David

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

Yes, and you may find that the adjustments are different with and without the TC. The older bodies will not know the difference between multiple copies of a lens or TC. I have not checked to determine if it knows the difference between different models of a TC on the same lens.

EBH

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

EB-1 wrote:
Yes, and you may find that the adjustments are different with and without the TC...

+1

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

Pixel Perfect wrote:
You must have a dud mk II extender, as I used that combo of 500 mk I + 1.4 mk II for several years and found the IQ excellent, even wide open at 700mm. A mk III when compared to a good mk II doesn't make much of a difference IQ wise; it's a bit better in the corners and maybe has a wee bit more contrast, but not worth the extra coin on a mk I lens IMO. It makes more sense on a mk II lens, where it will give better AF response. Om my mk I
...Show more

+1

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:36 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

davalan wrote:
EB-1, No I haven't microfocus adjusted with the combination, Does the camera recognise the TC is attached and which lens its attached to then apply the correct mfa?

David

my TC needed adjustments in the 7-14 range and if you are in narrow dof situations, it certainly could make things soft.

Aug 11, 2013 at 04:50 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

There's no newer Mark II glass in my kit, in fact the few 'L' lenses I use are not top of their class or are superteles, so I can't comment on Mark III T/Cs in that light.

However, with the 70-200 f4L IS, 300 f4L IS, a rented 400 f5.6L and the 100 f2.8L IS Macro (with extension tubes), I've found only minor center sharpness, much better corner sharpness with the Mark III T/Cs.

Mark II T/Cs are quite usable and I've not found any difference with AF performance with any glass, but many here on FM have experienced 'slightly better' AF with the Mark III T/Cs when combined with some Mark II lenses.

One note, if you still shoot film only the EOS 1V will work; communicate, with the Mark III T/Cs. I've a pair of EOS3's and my 1.4x Mark III does not 'compute', report, work at all...so I'll keep the Mark II's around until film is no longer.

Is the cost of upgrading worth it, yes was my answer, I felt the same when upgrading from the older 'most trusted/used' 100 mac to the new 'L'. Each upgrade eked out a bit more IQ and didn't bust my budget along the way...corn flakes, mac-n-cheese make for a tasty casserole; YMMV however

Aug 11, 2013 at 05:06 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

jcolwell wrote:
Worth looking into. They can be very sensitive to impact. I dropped my new 1.4X III on the first day that I owned it. One simple bounce off a hardwood floor, from waist height, and it was toast. I got my second 1.4x III about a week later. Cost of repair exceeded cost of a new one.

Yikes. I guess I lucked out. Someone knocked mine off a table, there was a very light rug and it was more like knee height though and it seems to be 100% fine.

Aug 11, 2013 at 07:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

Probably a lot depends on how it lands.

Aug 11, 2013 at 07:42 PM
davalan
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. Before I jump in with an upgrade I'll do some testing and try the micro-adjustment to see if it's just that. Of course, as has been suggested, the AF tracking is slightly impaired with the TC also it requires better technique with the longer FL and shorter DOF. So it could well be just down to me/slight subject movement and or missed focus. It's always the easy way out to blame the gear!

Anyway I'll give it another try before an upgrade. Good to hear mark 3 TC works well with the mark 1 '500' - thanks Chris B.

Cheers
David

Aug 11, 2013 at 07:57 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

This was taken a couple days ago with the 500mm f/4 IS mk 1 with the 1.4 mk III. It's a great combo.

http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Other/Birds/i-W3TWZkD/0/XL/IMG_1459-XL.jpg

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:45 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1.4x extender Mk3 question

this one was taken last week using the 500mm f/4 IS mk1 with the 1.4 mk II .. also a great combo

Aug 12, 2013 at 09:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password