Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

A short article with some 'telling' quotes sheds light on part of Canon's long-term plans...Innovative but Practical...to me this means a 'steady' pace, not a race to biggest/baddest just because. Marketing hype...perhaps

One quote...

“The camera industry has always been competitive and we are continuing to win in the market with our innovative and practical approach, which is a key differentiator from our competitors,” says Canon Marketing imaging communications product division director Donny Ling.

Canon sees good growth opportunities in camera market
http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2013/08/10/Canon-sees-good-growth-opportunities-in-camera-market.aspx

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

StillFingerz wrote:
A short article with some 'telling' quotes sheds light on part of Canon's long-term plans...Innovative but Practical...to me this means a 'steady' pace, not a race to biggest/baddest just because. Marketing hype...perhaps

One quote...

“The camera industry has always been competitive and we are continuing to win in the market with our innovative and practical approach, which is a key differentiator from our competitors,” says Canon Marketing imaging communications product division director Donny Ling.

Canon sees good growth opportunities in camera market
http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2013/08/10/Canon-sees-good-growth-opportunities-in-camera-market.aspx

Yes by making decisions such as (according to probably some random guy off the street who sent in a 'tip' to NL, then again, it really DOES sound like Canon marketing and how to explain why 5D3 video looks so mushy compared to Magic Lantern hacked 5D3 video...):

"I asked about the video [in the upcoming 7D2] and was told that the new sensor can easily best the C100/500, but won't be allowed to."

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

So Canon is selling more cameras and copiers in Malaysia now?

EBH

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:15 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

If Canon does cripple video quality in the future bodies too and were to also lock out liveview feed that might turn the 5D3 into a highly sought out classic video cam and maintain used 5D3 prices high while cutting sales of new cams (apparently the video guys drove a decent chunk of the 5D2 sales, supposedly).

Aug 10, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

StillFingerz wrote:
" Canon Marketing imaging communications product division director Donny Ling".

This explains everything to me.
Todays companies run themselves to meaningless nonsense.
Unbelieveable that Canon still is able to produce any acceptable cameras/lenses anyway.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

That is for Malaysia.
http://www.canon.com.my/personal/news/detail/division-swap-caption?languageCode=EN

EBH

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #7 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

StillFingerz wrote:

The quote says "innovative and practical", not "innovative but practical". Canon is doing well for a reason. Innovative and practical is a smart approach.

Edited on Aug 11, 2013 at 01:23 AM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #8 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

During a recent holiday-to Malaysia as it happens- I became well aware of the predominance of consumer Canon cameras used by tourists & the popularity of the 24-105. I could have counted on one hand the number of 5D/1D models that were out & about. These were insignificant, compared to i-pads & mobile phones amongst the happy snappers.
I would suggest that Canon & other businesses concentrate on what sells & the likes of me wait patiently to have their needs satisfied or move on as is the case in a consumer world.
I am satisfied with the service & goods I receive from Canon. My thoughts usually lead me to remain a Canonite along with the L lenses I enjoy. My lenses with the occasional upgrade remain but the bodies come & go.
I don't mind the slow pace as it affords me the opportunty to accumulate more cash to purchase the bodies I want but in the final analysis don't really need.
The delayed appearance of the 7D upgrade is allowing me to choose between that, another 5DIII or both the 7D & 5DIII, 1DX or a used 500mm or any combination of gear within the confines of the cash in my pocket.
I don't mind waiting for another bell or whistle and I am definitely not a camp-analogist.

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Why Canon seems so slow to keep up with the Jones'...

skibum5 wrote:
If Canon does cripple video quality in the future bodies too and were to also lock out liveview feed that might turn the 5D3 into a highly sought out classic video cam and maintain used 5D3 prices high while cutting sales of new cams (apparently the video guys drove a decent chunk of the 5D2 sales, supposedly).

The only reason Canon decided to get into the high end video market was due to the unexpected success of the 5D II. They never imagined the splash it would make.

But as is typical of Canon's clear separation of features, they will deliberately cripple lower end offerings to avoid them stepping on the toes of the higher end product. As though a 7D2 user is in the same demographic for video work as a C500 user; there's a lot more to it than just video quality.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password