New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Old pics, old camera ...

veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old pics, old camera ...

I was reviewing images in LR for a project I'm working on and came across these, all shot with my original Canon 1D. I'd be the first to say, "Yeah ... everything looks great on the web." But these same pics also print beautifully to 16" X 20." Thought I'd share. The 1D still holds its own against the latest and greatest.

- Steve

The home of photographer Alfred Steiglitz, Hoboken, NJ

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old pics, old camera ...

More from the 1D:

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old pics, old camera ...

Some might forget they have gold in their hands, i like to read more threads like this one. Thank you, Steve.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old pics, old camera ...

You know it is not always the equipment, sometimes the ability of the photographer has something to do with the outcome.
Nice pics, just goes to show you don't always need the latest and greatest.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old pics, old camera ...

mttran wrote:
Some might forget they have gold in their hands, i like to read more threads like this one. Thank you, Steve.

You're quite welcome. Thanks.
- Steve

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:00 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old pics, old camera ...

Great images, post Steve! It's good to see those big pixels still going strong

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:00 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old pics, old camera ...

StillFingerz wrote:
Great images, post Steve! It's good to see those big pixels still going strong

Thanks. Big pixels and a CCD sensor are a killer combination.
- Steve

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old pics, old camera ...

Was that Paul Rudd taking a drink? Ha-ha!

I agree -- nice to see the shots. I'm up for seeing more of yours or other people's 1D images.

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old pics, old camera ...

Very cool, Steve Been with Nikon for ~6 yrs now BUT still have a mint 1D w/12K on it and a
135 f2.8SF I'll take it out every couple of months...and always smile. Ya never forget your 1st Pro body, eh?!

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old pics, old camera ...

Very nice. Also agree that talent has something to do with it too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:03 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old pics, old camera ...

trenchmonkey wrote:
Very cool, Steve Been with Nikon for ~6 yrs now BUT still have a mint 1D w/12K on it and a
135 f2.8SF I'll take it out every couple of months...and always smile. Ya never forget your 1st Pro body, eh?!

Hi Will. Good to hear from you. I never knew you owned a Canon 1D. Only 12k? Wow. It's still new! How about posting some samples.
- Steve

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old pics, old camera ...

Cicopo wrote:
Very nice. Also agree that talent has something to do with it too.

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:05 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old pics, old camera ...

trenchmonkey wrote:

veroman wrote:
Hi Will. Good to hear from you. I never knew you owned a Canon 1D. Only 12k? Wow. It's still new! How about posting some samples.
- Steve

had at least 7 of them...used them with the 300 f4's & 400 f5.6L's for BIF lessons at BdA,
over the years. Pretty much instant AF in good light, everybody came home with keepers!!
(when I get some free time I'll break it out and post some here)

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:24 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Old pics, old camera ...

The Monkey sold me mine. Sharp body, and you can stop a bullet with that insane hybrid shutter
GREAT shots.

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:39 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Old pics, old camera ...

Yeh, 10 years ago this was the cat's meow...but today, printing a16x20 from the 1d will be lacking compared to today's cameras. Pixels matter and the 1d just did not have enough of them. A 16x20 would result in ampn image with about 100 dpi, which is mediocre for sharpness. An 8x10 would look good, but a 16x20 would be really pushing the abilities of the 1d past what it can handle.

Aug 10, 2013 at 09:16 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Old pics, old camera ...

Steve, long time since we shared a few words. I still shoot my old Nikon D2Hs every week and love the old boy. I can only smile and shake my head at comments on how camera's like the 1D and D2Hs could only be printed at 100dpi for 16x20 prints. I have tons of prints that size and make more every week and they are not only beautiful but also certainly never printed at 100dpi. Take care.

Dave

Aug 10, 2013 at 09:28 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Old pics, old camera ...

chez wrote:
Yeh, 10 years ago this was the cat's meow...but today, printing a16x20 from the 1d will be lacking compared to today's cameras. Pixels matter and the 1d just did not have enough of them. A 16x20 would result in ampn image with about 100 dpi, which is mediocre for sharpness. An 8x10 would look good, but a 16x20 would be really pushing the abilities of the 1d past what it can handle.

If you go by numbers alone, then you will always come to the wrong conclusions about how large a print can be before losing sharpness, clarity, etc. There are many more factors involved in a printing outcome than just MP and dpi/ppi. The fact is, I'm staring at a 16" X 20" of the white flower pic shown above, and it looks exactly like the image you see here on your screen, if not better. Indeed, I've seen 20" X 30" prints from the 1D that, at proper viewing distance, look excellent.
- Steve

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Old pics, old camera ...

davenfl wrote:
... I can only smile and shake my head at comments on how camera's like the 1D and D2Hs could only be printed at 100dpi for 16x20 prints ....
Dave

Me too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Old pics, old camera ...

outlawyer wrote:
The Monkey sold me mine. Sharp body, and you can stop a bullet with that insane hybrid shutter
GREAT shots.

Thanks. Great camera ...
- Steve

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Old pics, old camera ...

veroman wrote:
If you go by numbers alone, then you will always come to the wrong conclusions about how large a print can be before losing sharpness, clarity, etc. There are many more factors involved in a printing outcome than just MP and dpi/ppi. The fact is, I'm staring at a 16" X 20" of the white flower pic shown above, and it looks exactly like the image you see here on your screen, if not better. Indeed, I've seen 20" X 30" prints from the 1D that, at proper viewing distance, look excellent.
- Steve

Yes, they might look good...but compared to what? Take the same photo with a 5d3 and print it out and see the difference. I have photos hanging on my walls shot 25 years ago and they look good, but I have no illusions that they can hold a candle to today's DSLR's.

The big crutch I always hear is the print looks good at proper viewing distances. What is the proper viewing distance. Walk into any gallery and see people looking closely, deeply into the photos, looking at the details. This crutch we call proper viewing distance is just that, a crutch.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.