Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/the-camera-community-defends-their-cameras/?_r=0

"A Lesson Learned about the Intensity of Camera Enthusiasts" - New York Times.

A few brief quotes. (But it is a short piece, so do read it.)

"Anyone who writes about technology has suffered the ire of Apple, Microsoft and Amazon fans... But as I learned this week, compared to the photography community, technology fans seem tamer than a sloth."

"The Canon faithful attacked me for not writing a similar profile on Canon cameras, which, they noted that in their opinion are the only camera worth buying. The Nikon owners denounced Leica, calling it a waste. There were even film-camera enthusiasts who came to the defense of film. But none of the comments were more vehement than those of the Leica owners."

"I am endlessly astonished about the rigid and hostile views and arguments over nothing, he said to me in an e-mail about the photography forums he visits. Mr. Siegel, who is currently writing a book on photography law, noted that photo Web sites have to go to great lengths to stave off angry comments and have a positive discussion."

;-)

The author's original article about new Leica cameras - the one that provoked the fuss - is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/technology/personaltech/leica-cameras-have-eye-popping-prices-with-photos-to-match.html

And, yes, there are things to disagree with in it, as there are in most articles about anything about which you might have some knowledge and some personal experience. I'll stifle myself and restrain from mentioning them... ;-)

Dan

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

He must have been reading DPR...

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #3 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

Yah, 'cause everyone is so tolerant of others opinions here.

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

Clearly the author of the article is delusional. Everyone knows that photographers are the nicest, sweetest, most patient, kind, giving and understanding people in the world - and sexy, too. We're practically saints - each and every one of us.

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:04 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

We are, except when someone is wrong on the internet

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

jcolwell wrote:
He must have been reading DPR...

From which, ironically, and for reasons I've never understood and no one there will explain, I was "permanently banned." ;-)

Dan

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:24 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:
From which, ironically, and for reasons I've never understood and no one there will explain, I was "permanently banned." ;-)

Dan

Dan, perhaps you are tooooo real, speak from experience, demonstrate such through action, dedication and image! There are some opinions of great value, others of shite, you must have erred on the value side and on DPR forums that seems most intolerable these days as everyone constitutes, considers themselves....expert...that's just MHO of course

Your banning is DPR's loss!
BTW, good article, insight, commontery...
Jerry

Edited on Aug 10, 2013 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:39 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan

That was a shame. I think complaints from other members can make them do that, it happened to joemama but he got back with a different user name

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:39 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan

Despite my best efforts, I have only been permanently banned from two forums, one of which was DP Review... for posting a comment on the Olympus forum about local stores that were no longer carrying Olympus Four Thirds gear, and suggesting that this implied Olympus gear wasn't selling well...

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

alundeb wrote:
That was a shame. I think complaints from other members can make them do that, it happened to joemama but he got back with a different user name

Yeah, it is transparently obvious that one could do that, but I decided that I wasn't interested in a forum that would treat a member with a long history of positive participation and contributions in such a shabby and insulting way. Plus, it is my philosophy to not hide behind pseudonyms online.

In my case, I'm virtually positive that there was no complaint from another forum member. Rather it was an "overly-enthusiastic" moderator who probably would have been better doing server maintenance than public relations. ;-)

I understand how difficult it is to manage online discussions and communities, especially those in which passionate arguments might arise. In fact, I have built and managed them in another context for about two decades, and I moderate some elsewhere today. It requires a subtle and tricky ability to find a balance between tolerance and enforcement - and I've seen communities go off the rails from both too little and too much control. Occasionally the same obsessive personification of differences of opinion that we see in member posts can afflict moderators, who end up doing inappropriate stuff for personal reasons.

(Kudos to the folks running FM, who seem to have found a pretty good balance.)

Dan

Edited on Aug 10, 2013 at 05:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bones74
• • •
p.1 #11 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

I'll say one thing as an avid Canon fan, who doesn't give a **** for the rangefinder style of focusing, the Leica M file quality is beautiful (and so it should be for the money). I guess it's too much to expect some people to accept the (good) qualities of competing or different brands, but then they are not primarily interested in the art of photography but are probably gear-heads who just happen to geek out over cameras instead of PC's, or Ipads.

This looks a little odd

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:06 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

There are fanboys, who go out of their way to defend a camera, and anti-fanboys, who go out of their way to say camera differences don't matter. I don't think either extreme is very helpful to those visiting gear forums looking for objective advice.

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

snapsy wrote:
There are fanboys, who go out of their way to defend a camera, and anti-fanboys, who go out of their way to say camera differences don't matter. I don't think either extreme is very helpful to those visiting gear forums looking for objective advice.

Being "anti-fanboy" is not about dismissing camera difference that are important. It is about dismissing, well, fanboys. ;-)

Dan

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:33 PM
thedutt
• • •
p.1 #14 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

It takes a Mirinda to run a good forum.... if paper pushers could apply common sense, startups would never be successful

gdanmitchell wrote:
Yeah, it is transparently obvious that one could do that, but I decided that I wasn't interested in a forum that would treat a member with a long history of positive participation and contributions in such a shabby and insulting way. Plus, it is my philosophy to not hide behind pseudonyms online.

In my case, I'm virtually positive that there was no complaint from another forum member. Rather it was an "overly-enthusiastic" moderator who probably would have been better doing server maintenance than public relations. ;-)

I understand how difficult it is to manage online discussions and communities, especially those in
...Show more

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:34 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

You have too much times in your hands, I still work on DR issues from my last trip

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan

Thats easy to explain, Dan. You are not talking any bs about photography. And next to this you are an excellent shooter, too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:01 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:
Dan

If memory serves I thought they issued you a temporary ban and you decided not to return after that ban expired. Did something else happen after that?

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:09 PM
TBannor
• • •
p.1 #18 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan

Heh. I was banned for a week for typing the phrase, "Nice food snapshots."

Never went back. Don't post much anywhere these days though.

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:11 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #19 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

gdanmitchell wrote:
Plus, it is my philosophy to not hide behind pseudonyms online.

Dan

Good for you. I don't hide behind pseudonyms either. Anonymous people are some of the worst-behaved, because they can be meaner and nastier than they ever would be if using their real names. I had a terrible experience with an anonymous person on DPReview. I don't post on that forum any more.

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · New York Times on Camera Fanaticism

snapsy wrote:
If memory serves I thought they issued you a temporary ban and you decided not to return after that ban expired. Did something else happen after that?

They told me the ban was temporary - something like 90 (!) days. At the end of that period, they simply turned it into a permanent ban with no further explanation, and no one would reply to my questions about what had happened. (Odd that you seem to know as much or more about my status there than I do. Hmmm... ;-)

Anyway, my status at some other forum is probably not an appropriate topic for this FM forum, so I'll drop that topic here. :-)

Dan

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:42 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password