Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

What am I missing?

GaryMc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What am I missing?

I almost hate to post this, but.... I am a very amateur photographer. I have been looking at the G1X from Canon. I compare it on DPreview (page 10 on G1X review) and it seems beat almost every camera. When I compare it on page 18 (raw), it continues to seem to beat almost every camera. The camera seems to get no love around here. I don't want to start a controversy about which is better and which is not, but what am I missing? I have all the camera I need for large enlargements ( Pentax 67 - which I love). I want a walk around camera for vacations and that periodic "damn, I wish I had my camera with me". So again, what am I missing?

Gary

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:30 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · What am I missing?

This is a forum to discuss Canon SLR cameras. The G1X is a Point & Shoot camera, not an SLR, and you'll probably find a lot more discussions about P & S cameras on a site like DP Review.

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:39 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · What am I missing?

You are missing the M, with better image quality, similar size, and half the price.

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:40 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · What am I missing?

Gary -- I'm of a similar mind to you. The G1X is a great all-in-on camera. Some people bemoan its poorly deployed close-up focusing (need to switch to macro mode for anything closer than around a meter away, I believe). And some don't like the optical viewfinder (I'll take it -- better than nothing!). Beyond that, I don't see much "wrong" with it -- overall great IQ, near APS-C size sensor, terrific high ISO rendering, and apparently a great zoom lens.

I'm looking to sell/trade a M43 lens to get a used one.

I like my G10 very much for travel and family, but would like to improve the overall IQ.

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · What am I missing?

molson wrote:
This is a forum to discuss Canon SLR cameras. The G1X is a Point & Shoot camera, not an SLR, and you'll probably find a lot more discussions about P & S cameras on a site like DP Review.

Ditto.

Or post on the Alternative Gear & Lenses Forum:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:49 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · What am I missing?

Gary, you're not missing anything except perhaps that 'people' these days mostly are not satisfied with anything that doesn't fit the 'regular' or has every new option from every level of camera.

As Gunzs eluded to the G1X has some really great features, but a few of it's issues annoyed many...

- bigger size than your norm P&S; not pocket-able; unless you have large pockets
- odd sized sensor, not APS-C or FF so how could it be good
- sloooooow AF, like most P&S, but why not 1DX like
- with the bigger sensor, why not have interchangeable lenses, which is nonsensical; it's a flocking P&S
- it was kind of a test concept, a departure from the 'G' series norm, 'why' 'why' 'why', Canon tried something new and that 'change' thing so many dislike was in their face so 'no' 'no' 'no'

For my use it had one serious flaw and that was it's close-up 'disability'. As Gunz pointed out it's lack of close focusing, one meter, might be at issue for many; it was the deal breaker for me.

Otherwise the G1X would be in my bag without hesitation. Kind of like the M, with no viewfinder, even a crappy one like my G12, I'm not willing to 'only' shoot using an LCD and liveview...this may change tho.

If you don't need the close-up option the G1X is a nice bit of kit for 'general' shooting, IQ is quite nice and it's size/weight make for a great feel; if you have bigger paws; like bigger bodies...it's tank like build is much like the G12 only bigger...which I did like

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · What am I missing?

GaryMc wrote:
I almost hate to post this, but.... I am a very amateur photographer. I have been looking at the G1X from Canon. I compare it on DPreview (page 10 on G1X review) and it seems beat almost every camera. When I compare it on page 18 (raw), it continues to seem to beat almost every camera. The camera seems to get no love around here. I don't want to start a controversy about which is better and which is not, but what am I missing? I have all the camera I need for large enlargements ( Pentax 67 - which
...Show more

I don't quite agree with those who think you should post this elsewhere, since I think that the main point of your post is to get at the question of how to compare other alternatives to Canon DSLR cameras. If that is inappropriate here because it involves non-Canon DSLR equipment, it would be equally inappropriate to address the comparison question in any forum focused on a single sort of gear.

The full answer to a question like this is complex, loaded with potential for controversy, subjective and relative to the individual photographer, and will be different for different photographers and even change for individual photographers over time.

Where to begin...?

Let me start by saying the the G1X, along with many, many current cameras of all types is a very capable photographic tool. For a number of photographers and a number of purposes it could, in fact, be absolutely ideal. Despite what some will say and what the "evidence" of people using cameras might imply, a) the DSLR is not necessarily the be all and end all of photography, and b) a camera of the sort represented by the G1X and similar cameras can be precisely the best camera for lots of people with their own individual approach to serious photography.

Then, of course, we get to the subject of what reviews mean and how to interpret them and then how to apply what they say to one's own photographic needs. The best camera reviews attempt to provide objective information and reliable tests that allow comparison of one device to another. However, without going into too much detail, sometimes the attempt to limit variables and try to be objective ends up pointing certain readers of such reviews in directions that don't make a lot of sense photographically. (Don't get me started on measurements of resolution among cameras with different sensor sizes, or attempts to objectively present comparisons of noise or dynamic range.)

In addition, it is far to easy to get sucked into obsessing over the details of camera "reviews," especially those that provide voluminous detail, and get caught in a sort of analytical paralysis. Couple this with the desire to get The Very Best Thing, and it is quite possible to go way off the tracks in the attempt to analyze and decide.

Compounding this problem of obsessive focus on masses of tiny data points, is the tendency of people who write about "photography" to spend an awful lot of time and words writing about photographic technology, all to often without the context of real photography to give it some meaning. There are several reasons, I think, that might explain why there is some much writing about gear and equipment, as if it has any value in and of itself, and so little good writing about actually photography:

- there is an industry and a market behind all of this stuff that is, obviously, based on selling stuff - so it should be no surprise that "stuff" is the subject of much of the writing supported by that industry. (I'm not complaining, just observing.)

- frankly, it is a lot easier to write about "stuff" than to write about how good photographs are made and what distinguishes them from less than great photographs, and about how to move in the direction of understanding and making fine photographs.

- photography, like computers, stereo equipment, cars, certain kinds of sports equipment, and other things that you can probably think of has a strong appeal to the techie and the person who is as (or more than) infatuated with the technology of "stuff" than with what one actually does with it. There are certainly plenty of talented photographers who know their "stuff" pretty well... but the evidence of the number of those who aspire to acquire great "stuff" but don't produce a lot interesting photographs is there for all to see.

- in addition to the fact that almost every available piece of equipment is the right equipment for someone, it also seems to be true that different sorts of gear seem ideal to people at different points in their development as photographers. Although I've been a photographer for decades, starting with black and white film developing and printing, I can tell a few embarrassing stories about things I was certain were true when I began shooting digital cameras. The more I shot with this equipment and the more photographs I produced with it, the more I was able to separate the background of breathless background noise of camera reviews and photography forums from what actually turned out to be true for my photography... and I went through a series of cameras that included a contemporary semi-equivalent of the G1X along the way.

Believe me, I could write a ton more about this broader subject, but (I'm sure many will agree!) I have written too much already. :-)

So, if the G1X looks like a fine camera to you and for your needs, I say get it. Shoot the thing a lot, and focus on making interesting and compelling photographs. If it continues to be the right camera for you, you'll be one happy photographer! If not, it will still be a fine learning tool as you continue to develop as a photographer, and it will make you an even smarter shopper the next time.

Take care,

Dan

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:46 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #8 · What am I missing?

If the G cameras work for you, that's great, they don't get it done for me. That's a good reason for different kinds of cameras. I would hate to shoot birds in flight with your camera. I bet you would hate to carry mine.

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · What am I missing?

3iron wrote:
If the G cameras work for you, that's great, they don't get it done for me. That's a good reason for different kinds of cameras. I would hate to shoot birds in flight with your camera. I bet you would hate to carry mine.

Much better and more direct post than mine! :-)

Dan

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:31 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #10 · What am I missing?

Cameras are tools that contain compromises and trade-offs. The trick is to understand your type of shooting and usage and then see if a given camera will do a good job in that particular context. There have been a number of threads about the G1X or G1X owners have joined other discussions ... you might want to try to pull these up with the search function. I don't own the G1X, but the owners that are most dedicated to the camera seem to be people that want to have a lightweight, all-in-one solution that is easy to carry with them. I think that is a pretty good description of your intended use. Some of the threads have beautiful examples of what the G1X can produce ... very nice images.

There was a feeling that because the G1X does not have interchangeable lenses that it does not compete well with the new mirrorless cameras. I may fall into this camp, but I have noticed that there are some G1X owners that are also mirrorless owners and still feel the G1X is their simple go-to camera.

If you want to compare it to a mirrorless option, the Canon EOS M has been selling with huge discounts and is available with both a 18-55mm and 22mm lenses for pretty cheap ... about the cost of the G1X or even less with both lenses (you may need to pickup the second lens off of eBay). Try B&H or Amazon to see if there are any left. I went with the EOS M ... and it is true that between the lenses and external flash you are juggling a lot more stuff. Just find the mix that is right for you. What this gets you is a 22mm f/2 lens (35mm equiv.) that is very sharp and an really nice kit lens in the 18-55. This was the right balance for me; but I can certainly understand the attraction of the G1X.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GaryMc
• • •
p.1 #11 · What am I missing?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I should just go buy the camera and shoot away! When I get into an artistic mood, I bring out the 67, compose, think, recompose, rethink, and periodically, make a nice wallhanger. Thanks again. I've enjoyed fredmiranda for many years.

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:06 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · What am I missing?

GaryMc wrote:
I almost hate to post this, but.... I am a very amateur photographer. I have been looking at the G1X from Canon. I compare it on DPreview (page 10 on G1X review) and it seems beat almost every camera. When I compare it on page 18 (raw), it continues to seem to beat almost every camera. The camera seems to get no love around here. I don't want to start a controversy about which is better and which is not, but what am I missing? I have all the camera I need for large enlargements ( Pentax 67 - which
...Show more

1. this the SLR forum so it's not surprising it doesn't get much discussion in this SLR forum

2. it has very good IQ compared to most P&S, but it's also bulkier than many P&S so it could well be that people feel that if you are going to go that big you might as well go DSLR and get even better IQ and more flexibility, it's kind of a drag to try to fit into a pocket or to take to parties and everywhere with you all the time, in my case if it is not a DSLR it darn well better be something that would make sense taking everywhere all the time, so it's neither here nor there for some

Edited on Aug 11, 2013 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:18 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · What am I missing?

I bought a G1X for my wife last fall, and I use it when its the right tool for the job. I happened to jump into one of the Adorama specials where they threw in a printer, software, and a $400 AMEX Card. I sold the printer and software, and used the $400 card for my ordinary grocery shopping at Costco.

My net cost was about $150. Then I sold my old G11 for $200, so I upgraded and got $50 to the good.

The G1 X does have its limitations and quirks, but its far better in low light than most P&S bodies.

Here is a ISO 3200 image taken at our local high school play.

and another ISO 3200 taken the same night.

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:55 AM
GaryMc
• • •
p.1 #14 · What am I missing?

Ed,
In my non-expert opinion, these look pretty good. This will help me greatly. Thanks for posting.
Gary

Aug 11, 2013 at 04:14 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #15 · What am I missing?

Gary,

I like the images the G1X makes, but as a camera it has two issues that were deal-breakers for me (and that's just me, it's still a good camera):
1) The viewfinder is not very useful - the lens can block a part of the image and I find it difficult to compose in the viewfinder.
2) The lens is f/4-5.6 for the majority of the zoom range (the actual f/2.8 part is a very small bit of the range), and I need an f/2.8 lens on many occasions.

Aug 11, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #16 · What am I missing?

Gary, you're not missing a thing.
Please, just keep doing what you're doing!
Stay focused on the photography - what happens before you push the shutter button - and avoid obsessing over the irrelevant hardware, or falling down the potentially bottomless rabbit hole that is post-processing.

As Dan clearly states, so many aspects of the hobby have been overrun by a pathological fixation on gear, and the concomitant necessity of buying the 'right' piece of kit. When people introduce themselves by describing the camera model they shoot (as opposed to their work, favorite subjects, etc.), you know the situation is badly out of balance.
Make your goal that of becoming a better photographer, not a more dedicated gear dweeb.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM
StephenS_CP

p.1 #17 · What am I missing?

I'm an amateur photographer too but more on the high end than low end. I normally shot with the 5DII, the 50D and "L" glass. I started seriously looking for a less obtrusive but high quality camera to use instead of the 50D for less critical and more social shooting situations about the time the G1X came out. I wanted the G1X. As you are finding, the image quality specs and sensor size were what I was looking for.

As I researched it and the alternatives at the time, the image quality was likely to be what I expected. However, zoom range and aperture range limitations, along with the reported viewfinder problems simply made the G1x overpriced for the feature set. That was really the only reason I didn't buy it. I ended up with the NEX-5 instead. As it happens, I wasn't disappointed in my choice.

My opinion of the EOS-M is similar. It looks like a high quality camera and certainly capable of taking excellent images, but for its feature set it was over-priced at the time of its introduction. Now I'm not in the market now so not likely to jump. However, I still have high hopes that Canon will come out with something breath-taking in the EOS-M line in the next year or two.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · What am I missing?

If you want something with a decent sensor and that has a zoom but is truly pocketable for any occasion then Sony RX100M2 might be something to look at. G1 probably has better IQ but it's kinda bulky as a pocket cam (and IMO, once you go beyond mini-pocket bulk just use a DSLR, although others disagree).

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:23 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #19 · What am I missing?

Gary, to reference the meta conversation: I think this isn't out of place here as a post, but you surely would get more information from either the Alt board or some other forum/board that includes primary G1x shooters. Anyone here who carries a DSLR is doing some exactly because the world of mirrorless/P&S can't cover the needs of those who shoot DSLRS-- when they choose to shoot DSLRS (many own both!).

As for the Damn, wish I had a camera shot-- I either use my phone (don't care about IQ at all, though it's fine; just want to show someone or remember something), or the Fuji X-E1 I carry. Turns out the phone is super thin, quick to operate, and is with me at all times (also has data access so I can instantly send the image). The Fuji is a close second, but obviously much bulkier.

The G1 cameras are too in between for me. Too bulky for the IQ, particularly in low light.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:18 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #20 · What am I missing?

BTW, I'd vote Sony RX100(mk2) too for tiny + good IQ if the mobile phone APS-C mirrorless sections of the spectrum don't cover you.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password