Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Football Portraits

jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Football Portraits

Shot another senior session last night. Here are a couple of photos that I liked from the shoot. C&C always appreciated.

Jeff

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:10 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Football Portraits

I like 'em. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Football Portraits

I like the first one, but the selective color in the second one does not do anything for me...

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:34 PM
rccphotos

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Football Portraits

I really like the first one.

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Football Portraits

Jeff....#1 for me as well. This is a great shot and the B&W conversion is very good.

On the second one....I like it but the wood grain kinda kills it for me a bit because it lays over the locker and the players shoulder pads. Maybe if the wood grain was set behind the locker it would work better.

Jeff....that's just me and the chance of the parents seeing that would probably not happen.

Frank

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:48 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Football Portraits

Thanks for the comments. I was playing around with the second image and I thought that I would give an overlay a try. It looks better on my monitor when it is big. The Woodgrain has some nice detail. I am going to try to work some text in it or do something different. Appreciate the input from everyone.

Jeff

Aug 10, 2013 at 09:08 AM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Football Portraits

1st one for me Jeff.
He looks mean and tough.
Fred

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Football Portraits

1st for me, the gritty look really works

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Football Portraits

Numero uno for me Jeff!

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Football Portraits

Love the first one!

I am not a fan of selective color, but I do like the shot. My first thought was "blue" when the hero of the shot should be the eyes. It sounds corny, but what if you only had the eyes in color? Are his eyes blue? That could work with the blue helmet, but keep the helmet color/tint more muted. Just thinking out loud here...

Paul

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:04 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Football Portraits

Paulthelefty wrote:
Love the first one!

I am not a fan of selective color, but I do like the shot. My first thought was "blue" when the hero of the shot should be the eyes. It sounds corny, but what if you only had the eyes in color? Are his eyes blue? That could work with the blue helmet, but keep the helmet color/tint more muted. Just thinking out loud here...

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions. The football players eyes are blue, but they did not look blue in the photo due to the lighting. I worked on two more photos. They both have enhanced blue eyes. One has a blue helmet and the other is in black & white. Let me know what you think.

Jeff

Photo 1

Photo 2

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Football Portraits

Jeff,

Of the two, I like the second better, but for my tastes, the eyes are a little over the top. (Did I mention I am not a fan of selective color?) If it were my shot, I would process it similar to your first non-helmet shot and push the contrast really hard for that gritty look. But that is just me, what do I know?? :-)

Make the parents and the kid happy, they are the ones that need to like it, not me!

Paul

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:03 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Football Portraits

Paulthelefty wrote:
Jeff,

Of the two, I like the second better, but for my tastes, the eyes are a little over the top. (Did I mention I am not a fan of selective color?) If it were my shot, I would process it similar to your first non-helmet shot and push the contrast really hard for that gritty look. But that is just me, what do I know?? :-)

Make the parents and the kid happy, they are the ones that need to like it, not me!

Paul

Here is something a little different. A little grittier and tighter with the helmet shot.

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Football Portraits

Jeff, going against the grain here, but I like both of the first two shots. The first is just a little hot in the highlights, but love the gritty treatment. On the second, maybe scaling back the wood layer a little would help, but I think it's cool.

The blue eyes was nice idea, but I'm not a fan of the results.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
rccphotos

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Football Portraits

I like the last one without the blue eyes and with the name.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Football Portraits

Nice shot. I like the all b&w (1st shot) myself. The blue eyes look unrealistic in my opinion, and throw the whole picture off. The last picture isn't too bad at all!
Did you use a beauty dish for these?

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Football Portraits

Like the last one best, but still don't care for the blue in the helmet. I think it would be much stronger with just the skin tones in muted color. Looks like a medium rectangular soft box was used to the subject's left-that's my guess for Kris.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Football Portraits

kris416 wrote:
Nice shot. I like the all b&w (1st shot) myself. The blue eyes look unrealistic in my opinion, and throw the whole picture off. The last picture isn't too bad at all!
Did you use a beauty dish for these?

I used one large 3'x4'soft box at about a 30 degree angle on the front, right side. It was about three feet from the subject. My lighting skills are not that great so I try to keep it simple.

Jeff

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Football Portraits

jmcaverly wrote:
I used one large 3'x4'soft box at about a 30 degree angle on the front, right side. It was about three feet from the subject. My lighting skills are not that great so I try to keep it simple.

Jeff

I'm a rookie and like the effect you have, so that's why I ask!

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM
jcruizphoto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Football Portraits

love the grittiness in the first one. having it in black and white really pops

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.