New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · I'm struggling

Visuals
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm struggling

I am not as avid a photographer as I once was....Don't shoot as often, I guess it's life both professional and personal at the moment. But I do still like to shot!

I have the Sony RX1. My first full frame, and the files, color and resolution are unlike anything I've ever seen (I guess it's cuz it's my first full-frame). As you all know it's expensive, and for someone who doesn't shoot as much, it can be a paper weight for 6 out of 7 days of the week.

I am thinking of getting a Ricoh GR V, much wider but not expensive. I actually have my Sony RX1 up for sale right now!!!

BUT IT'S LIKE I CAN'T SELL IT!!!!!!

I've never had that tug-of-war with any other camera before!
I've also ordered the GR today with hopes of selling my RX1 within the next few days. Now I'm thinking I'm making the biggest photo-mistake of my life.

What would you do?

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm struggling

I would recommend not thinking too much about what camera/gear you are shooting with. Go out there, make pictures, have fun.

Edited on Aug 09, 2013 at 06:40 PM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:39 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm struggling

To my eyes the output of the RX1 is quite unique. If you don't have to sell it just enjoy it.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm struggling

I would get rid of anything expensive that I wasn't using sufficiently to make me happy, or if it didn't produce results I loved. Obviously, you love the results, but want to use it to finance other gear. I flip stuff all the time to try new things and move up the image quality food chain.

There are other used FF cameras you can try, such as the 5D2, and you still have a lot of money left over.

If you can't sell without regrets, then don't sell. But if you can, make a clean break of it and move on.

I'm not a person to ever consider an RX1, even at a reduced price for used. It's just not my thing.

But if it is your thing, then keep it!!

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:50 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm struggling

Visuals wrote:
I am not as avid a photographer as I once was....Don't shoot as often, I guess it's life both professional and personal at the moment. But I do still like to shot!

I have the Sony RX1. My first full frame, and the files, color and resolution are unlike anything I've ever seen (I guess it's cuz it's my first full-frame). As you all know it's expensive, and for someone who doesn't shoot as much, it can be a paper weight for 6 out of 7 days of the week.

I am thinking of getting a Ricoh GR V, much wider but
...Show more

I'm not sure I'd call the GR MUCH wider, especially considering the RX1 seems to be something like 32 or 33mm'ish. Either way, if it were me, I'd stick with the RX1, but, obviously, that's because the RX1 is the only camera I shoot. I tried to love the smaller format X100s, but no luck. The RX1 is pretty special.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:58 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm struggling

Keep both for a while and see which one you don't use much and sell that one.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:28 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm struggling

I had the same issue as you but luckily I was within my 30 day return policy. I actually intended to sell it, hoping a FM member would be able to get a good package deal on it, but alas it didn't work out.

I actually have moments where I feel a sense of regret that I don't have it anymore, especially when I look at some of the images that I captured with it, but like you it felt like for the majority of the week because of my full time job, I rarely picked it up. There were stretches where I didn't pick it up for 4-5 days, others when I would get off 3-5 snaps in a day. It just felt like I could feel the camera depreciating by the day.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:51 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm struggling

The RX1 and GR are very different cameras. For IQ, RX1 is better than the GR. For handling, the GR is better than the RX1. Biggest photo mistake of your life? Sounds overly dramatic.

Decide what is more important. IQ or handling. The lens focal length must be considered too. The GR is quite a bit wider. If you don't like to shoot up close, then the GR might be too wide for you. People get too caught up with having that special camera of the moment. Guess what? I guarantee there will be an even better camera than the RX1 in years to come. FF is nice when you don't have it. Once you've had FF for long enough, it's still nice, but you'll realize the full potential only reveals itself in certain situation. If you shoot wide open all the time, then yeah, you want FF.

Try both for awhile and then decide. You shouldn't rely on other people to influence your decision. They own one or the other for their own specific reason.

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:56 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'm struggling

Simplify, simplify, simplify. If I were in your shoes, I'd sell it all and buy an x100 or eos-m and attach a viewfinder to the top of the latter. Either would give you 35 mm + a VF for thousands less than the RX-1.

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:07 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'm struggling

A lot of people will buy this enigmatic fixed lens camera and use it for a month or so then sell, move on. If you are looking for empathy you have mine...it's really OK, you can buy one of this model or similar down the road, Sony will very likely not stop making it for some time (line is at full production), and there are plenty around used in good cond (it's well built). If at all worried about money, best advice is to sell.

Resale will stay high but $1500 seems low for a good one even in 2-3 years time. People pay thousands for Leica M lenses, and many ZEs go for a thousand or more 2nd hand, for examples. It seems it took the market totally by surprise, and it will be a year old in a few months...how long before someone else does something similar? It will be a problem maybe, as any competitor has a high bar to leap.

Whatever Zeiss did, if they repeat the formula in other FLs, success will follow. A ~50mm would seem best next up, a perennially popular FL. And there is the Leica AA and 55/1.4D to testify to that. I don't see the idea stopping at one camera.

The market is in a strange place right now - you can buy a lot of excellent gear for $1000-1500, yet the makers are also seeing strong demand for high end product. D800s, new Zeiss lenses, MF Leica, and this one also. Good times.

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Visuals
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I'm struggling

Interesting responses guys!

While I was being e-consoled by my FM community here, in the "For-Sale" forum, I got some PM hits.......SOLD! Both Happy and sad at the same time. Perhaps I was a bit dramatic…………but this is art! aren't we all? Anyways, fact is I've owned many a camera, non as expensive as the RX1. I've never kept more than one at a time though (maybe it's a way to say to myself, "I don't have a camera problem") I've almost always exclusively shot wide angle, and I'm more comfortable with a 28mm as my only length if I had to choose. I even searched for a wide angle adapter for the RX1. None really exists, but a 21mm does exist for the Ricoh GR. I think the Ricoh will be fine while I sit back and watch what happens in the next few weeks and months as companies fight for our dollar.

True love is letting go of that thing you love...

Things to do
1) Never look at the RX1 photo gallery
2) Enjoy the Ricoh, as one member put it, simplify!
3) Shoot more! Ricoh seems to have faster AF (played with it in B&H) better Macro
4) Perhaps get that new FF nex that everyone is anticipating (after a year when it's reduced)

Cheers!!!!!!!!!

Aug 09, 2013 at 11:24 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I'm struggling

I get that feeling sometimes after buying a new lens but not having time to use it, it's worse with expensive items.

Aug 09, 2013 at 11:53 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I'm struggling

I'll be a counterpoint:

The RX1 is not special. It's a nice FF sensor with a nice-- or better than nice-- medium-speed, 35mm lens that can't be removed. Take all this "it's special" talk, divide by 4, and you're more likely in the right place. Or think of it like a fixed FL sibling, time shifted forward in perception, of the 5D-- a camera that when it came out was ooooo'd and awwww'd as "it's special," but now doesn't quite stand up to current FF cameras (like the RX1).

One could argue that the RX1 is special right now (FF, mirrorless, small, great lens)... but not that it has some special quality that in 3 years people will still be swooning over INSTEAD of the latest and greatest. Mark my words. There's a lot about getting caught up in the moment, excited about the latest expensive toy.

Here's another argument: The RX1 is the first of a new world of FF mirrorless cameras that will assuredly be coming out over the next year, whether NEX-style (removable lenses), or Fuji X100-style. It's coming. What does that mean? It means that the $3K mirrorless FF is going to lose a lot of value over the coming years. That's no big deal-- if you shoot it all the time. But if there's something else you would use in the meantime... use that something else and don't sink all that money in a camera that will eventually lose a ton of value-- with no lenses to hold onto value with.

All this coming from someone (me)-- who really, really wants the RX1, btw. I think it's a great camera. I don't plan on buying one yet (until used prices drop) or ever (until a new gen or two come out).

Ultimately: Get what you'll use. Sell what you won't. This goes doubly so when it involves sunk cost on things that are likely to devalue very quickly (fixed FL).

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Visuals
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I'm struggling

Well spoken sir

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I'm struggling

It has nothing to do with it being the latest and greatest toy for me. I'm one of those people that do believe the RX1 is special. Just because of the Sonnar lens. It IS a special lens. Razor sharp at every aperture and such smooth bokeh. All the other good 35mm lenses have harsher bokeh and many are huge also.
It would be a different story if you could just buy the lens separately, but... you can't.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I'm struggling

I would never want to buy the very special Sonnar 35/2 any other way, once it was clear how much technical effort went into the design, integration, assembly and QA of the also very special camera. Why, you ask?

They matched lens-sensor assembly in alignment on an individual component basis, and lens-body assembly is precise to a thousandth of a millimetre. Sony say you can never get close to that level with an ILC, they are almost certainly right, as a look at any well used mount on both a body or a lens will show.

People find little wrong with the almost four year old Leica M9 and rightly so, so it's a fair bet the RX1 will be pumping out class images for many years. What is better right now? And if anything comes along that is, how much will it weigh and how much will it cost, will it be as versatile? Sound of crickets...

I would also love for people not to value it, that way many who find the price too steep would have access to it, to see for themselves. Think how long the competition have been working at making 35mm FL lenses, and these guys just pop this out.

But it is fun watching people find reasons to not like it - my recent favourite is the guy who said the RX1 'does not handle being dropped well'....

Aug 10, 2013 at 09:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I'm struggling

Jochenb wrote:
It has nothing to do with it being the latest and greatest toy for me. I'm one of those people that do believe the RX1 is special. Just because of the Sonnar lens. It IS a special lens. Razor sharp at every aperture and such smooth bokeh. All the other good 35mm lenses have harsher bokeh and many are huge also.
It would be a different story if you could just buy the lens separately, but... you can't.

+1

if there was another compact 35/2 (or faster) lens that came close to looking as good i'd have hesitated a lot more with rx1. there isn't and i don't expect to see one coming out in the next 5 years, though i'd love to be proven wrong.

but for the OP, you can always buy another if you miss it after the price drops a bit.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
baimei

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I'm struggling

Originally, I didn't like the idea of a fixed 35mm. However, I was still amazed by the characteristics of the photos which I have been seeing online. It has basically everything that I care about, as far as image quality. I decided that the fixed focal length was very usable in three different applications in my case.
Because of its small size, it will easily fit into my micro four thrids bag. It will also give me an extra FF body/lens for the A99 bag, which will go nicely with the other zeiss primes. Also, I can use it alone as a carry camera.
I do think that if you can only have one body, a fixed lens is probably not your best course, unless you REALLY like 35mm.
My RX1R is ordered!

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I'm struggling

Visuals wrote:
BUT IT'S LIKE I CAN'T SELL IT!!!!!!

I've never had that tug-of-war with any other camera before!

The fact that it's a fixed lens camera doesn't help you decide to sell it ASAP?

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:38 AM
Smackeral

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I'm struggling

Bifurcator wrote:
The fact that it's a fixed lens camera doesn't help you decide to sell it ASAP?

Should it?

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.