Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

http://www.rei.com/product/849062/sierra-designs-herald-30-pack-2012-closeout

The bag is ~$40 after tax and store pickup. It is 26'' in height, should be able to accommodate a 500/600 with body attached and hood reversed. Anyone here use it for around the town hiking?

Recommendation on SLR lounge in the league of some pretty awesome bags:

http://www.slrlounge.com/review-of-eight-camera-backpacks-for-the-outdoors

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

That's just a regular old backpack. Sure you can put a padded camera thing inside it, but you can do that with any camera. Despite the one-liner "review" at the link you shared, there is nothing at all to recommend this particular pack for photographers over any of dozens of other backpacks.

I've been hiking and backpacking with cameras for a long time. In addition to various sorts of camera-specific packs, I have occasionally used various daypacks and backpacks to carry camera gear. Unless you are carrying very little camera equipment and are willing to add a lot of padding to your regular pack, it is usually better to get a camera-specific carrying system.

If you need a general purpose small backpack and this one fits your needs, the price is low. If you need something for your camera gear, you'll likely be better off looking for something designed for photographers.

BTW: I'm not anti-REI at all. They are a great firm. I've been a member for years, and I use a fair amount of the gear. I also watch their sales.

Dan

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

OTOH, I am a fan of using padded camera thingies inside my pack. Very few of the camera packs I've tried are at all comfortable for a long haul and none of them give any consideration that you might want to carry something besides camera gear. I made a simple top loading three holer (oval tube with two dividers and a bottom) that can hang inside several different pack sizes. Weighs 6 oz. Hangs from loops I install inside near the top shoulder strap attachment. Weight carries well there. Holds 100-400, 24-105, and 100L lenses plus the 5D body with any of the lenses attached. Easy access and well protected.

The Sierra Design pack referenced above is similar in design to the Kelty Redwings I prefer. The Redwings have internal aluminum stays, a well designed padded hip belt and can carry up to 40 lbs without problem. Find a comfortable pack first.

Edited on Aug 10, 2013 at 01:36 AM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2013 at 11:14 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

Jeff Nolten wrote:
OTOH, I am a fan of using padded camera thingies inside my pack. Very few of the camera packs I've tried are at all comfortable for a long haul and none of them give any consideration that you might want to carry something besides camera gear. I made a simple top loading three holer (oval tube with two dividers and a bottom) that can hang inside several different pack sizes. Weighs 6 oz. Hangs from loops I install inside near the top shoulder strap attachment. Weight carries well there. Holds 100-400, 24-105, and 100L lenses plus the 5D body
...Show more
+100

Jeff, I am totally with you. I've tried all sorts of "Camera backpacks" and non that I tried ever came close to the comfort and flexibility I get with my modified Kelty pack. Not only are the camera packs not flexible as far as carrying other non photographic gear, but they are also more expensive and not at all as comfortable.

I really would recommend going the backpack route and buy inserts to suit your needs. Really provides a more flexible, more comfortable and to boot, cheaper solution.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
3iron
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

F Stop has made attempts to cover both areas; do you gentlemen have any thoughts on their system?
Best wishes.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:21 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

gdanmitchell wrote:
That's just a regular old backpack. Sure you can put a padded camera thing inside it, but you can do that with any camera. Despite the one-liner "review" at the link you shared, there is nothing at all to recommend this particular pack for photographers over any of dozens of other backpacks.

I've been hiking and backpacking with cameras for a long time. In addition to various sorts of camera-specific packs, I have occasionally used various daypacks and backpacks to carry camera gear. Unless you are carrying very little camera equipment and are willing to add a lot of padding to
...Show more

Dan,
I have the kimboko 22L+ and love it for travel. Just as an FYI, the video review on SLR gear talks about all the eight bags in slightly more detail than the one liner. This bag is reviewed at the end and after seeing the cavity I ended up ordering one just to try it out.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:42 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

3iron wrote:
F Stop has made attempts to cover both areas; do you gentlemen have any thoughts on their system?
Best wishes.

Yes, I have an F-Stop Tipola and it's ok, but not as comfortable as my Kelty. The shoulder and waist belt just don't have the adjustments nor the comfort of the Kelty. I also find it very difficult to gain access to my equipment as the large insert is hard to open and close when inside the pack. With the insert in, there is very little room for any other gear and the weight of the pack with the insert is quite substantial. Overall, it is a good camera pack, but falls short in flexibility and comfort compared to a trekking pack.

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gocolts
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

I use a Deuter 32L pack with an insert as my primary camera bag for all vacations and racetracks. I'm actually at Road America in Wisconsin right now with that pack holding my 7D, 70-300L, 400mm DO, and 15-85mm. Never mind that I have an EOS-M in the side pocket and a cooler insert for a few cold drinks as well. Would suggest the setup to anyone who is outside and moving around with their gear a lot.

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

Personally I like the idea of modding a backpack. The reason being I love the strength and longevity of something like the: http://www.macpac.co.nz/packs/packs-day-packs/rapaki28.html

Up close these are well-made, strong packs that usually give years of service. They actually strength test their materials and stitching - to me that means a lot.

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:21 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

I went through this last spring. I eventually ended up with the clik elite contrejour pack. It's served me well for 2 years. I have put close to 200 miles on it so far and it's held up great and is reasonably comfortable. Since I have switched to mirrorless it hasn't worked quite so well, and the camera compartment is set up for larger lenses, still I have made it work.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

andyjaggy82 wrote:
I went through this last spring. I eventually ended up with the clik elite contrejour pack. It's served me well for 2 years. I have put close to 200 miles on it so far and it's held up great and is reasonably comfortable. Since I have switched to mirrorless it hasn't worked quite so well, and the camera compartment is set up for larger lenses, still I have made it work.

Thanks for sharing that; I've been wondering what I'd need to carry some decent gear off the beaten path (more than my cheapo Caselogic sling) into actually inclement conditions where the pack might get completely soaked, etc.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

I'd really hate to tally up how many different "photo pack" systems I've tried. I came across this Kickstarter project called TrekPak. It got funded and is in production. See www.trekpak.com. It is a very configurable divider system that can be set up in whatever way you want inside basically any backpack (or other style bags). They have a clever clip that holds the dividers in place, but still can be easily moved or modified depending on your needs.

They sell the system with a Deuter pack (very high quality). They also sell the divider system separately in varying heights so you can convert your favorite back pack. I'm about to make a $70 gamble and see how well it works with one of my favorite packs.

Robert

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:19 AM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

OntheRez wrote:
I'd really hate to tally up how many different "photo pack" systems I've tried. I came across this Kickstarter project called TrekPak. It got funded and is in production. See www.trekpak.com. It is a very configurable divider system that can be set up in whatever way you want inside basically any backpack (or other style bags). They have a clever clip that holds the dividers in place, but still can be easily moved or modified depending on your needs.

They sell the system with a Deuter pack (very high quality). They also sell the divider system separately in varying heights
...Show more

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. I have 3 different Deuter packs of different sizes, they've survived anything I could throw at them, and are lightweight and designed great. I'll have to take a look at the divider systems they have. Currently my divider is a $25 eBay special that I find works great for the money...so if they can improve on that, I'll gladly spend the money.

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:26 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Deal: Sierra Designs Herald 30 Pack @ REI outlet

Jeff Nolten wrote:
OTOH, I am a fan of using padded camera thingies inside my pack. Very few of the camera packs I've tried are at all comfortable for a long haul and none of them give any consideration that you might want to carry something besides camera gear. I made a simple top loading three holer (oval tube with two dividers and a bottom) that can hang inside several different pack sizes. Weighs 6 oz. Hangs from loops I install inside near the top shoulder strap attachment. Weight carries well there. Holds 100-400, 24-105, and 100L lenses plus the 5D body
...Show more

I too far prefer non-photography backpacks to photography backpacks for both day-to-day shooting and more extensive, rugged travel-based work-- such as ski-touring in Kashmir a week after a multi-day camel trek through the Thar Dessert that I did this winter.

Camera bags always disappoint me. They offer slightly faster access (not very important to me; my cameras are out when needed, and not when not), far more padding than I need, all at the cost of being bulky and less comfortable and providing far less storage for non-camera stuff. Most of the time I don't even like using big slip-in dividers/padding.

But I think some qualification is needed: I shoot with two small bodies (5D2 + Fuji X-E1) and a few primes, and sometimes a small, carbon travel tripod. At most I have all this, a couple extra batteries, and perhaps a filter or two; often I have one of the bodies, two lenses, and that's it.

I suspect that if you're hauling multiple zooms, primes over 200mm, or lots of accessory gear the equation changes completely. When I shot weddings w/ 1-series bodies and f/2.8 zooms + fast primes-- I enjoyed using a Lowepro backpack. But that mainly wasn't travel-based. And I didn't shoot from the bags. I merely used the bags to keep everything stored/ready/organized. I'd leave the bag in an inconspicuous place at the wedding, carry what I needed, and have an assistant return to the bag to download/copy files to my laptop.

Bags are such personal preference items. I've been thrilled with a Northface Hotshot, BCA (ski touring), Crumpler (non-photo), and Deuter, and for day-to-day stuff a small Aunts & Uncles Buddy leather bag (http://www.auntsanduncles.de/kollektionensss/good_old_friends/good_old_friends_i#buddy)

Aug 13, 2013 at 05:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password