Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

LightShow wrote:
First, it's not LTM, it's a special mount that would need to be modded (or I think there might be an adapter?) but
I wouldn't want to modify a rare lens like it, plus it's huge, and 1.2 is fast enough for me with the ISO's available now days.

Yes, I know. Hence the use of "converted". Most of the ones I've come across on eBay have already been converted to some kind of Leica mount.

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:29 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #2 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

thanks for the test biconvex!
the bokeh of the rokkor is just so much smoother than the others..
and you're right, the bokeh on the zuiko 50 is kinda busy..

how much should I expect to pay for a mint copy of the rokkor with rubber focus ring?
i have someone selling it for $500.. is this a reasonable price for an unconverted mint copy?
and what's the best method of converting it to EF mount?
and am I correct in assuming there will be no infinity focus?

Thanks again guys!

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:55 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

$500 is about average for a mint copy of any version of the rokkor. best way to convert is a Jim Buchanan kit or leitax. you will be able to get infinity, but it will probably cause a mirror collision with the rear element retaining ring. you can avoid this by shooting in LV mode.

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:36 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #4 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

sebboh wrote:
$500 is about average for a mint copy of any version of the rokkor. best way to convert is a Jim Buchanan kit or leitax. you will be able to get infinity, but it will probably cause a mirror collision with the rear element retaining ring. you can avoid this by shooting in LV mode.

thanks for your response.
i will be using it on an ancient kodak slr/c so no LV.
i guess to avoid possible mirror damage i should avoid going infinity.

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:51 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

jaehoppa wrote:
thanks for your response.
i will be using it on an ancient kodak slr/c so no LV.
i guess to avoid possible mirror damage i should avoid going infinity.

it's possible that it might not hit, most canon 5Ds do but some don't. if the kodak was built with higher tolerances it might work. some people also reduce the retaining ring on the lens to enable infinity. i posted a video showing how to remove the retaining ring safely here.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #6 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

ok cool. i guess i would have to try it to find out.
so when the mirror hits the rear of the lens at infinity, it hits the metal ring, not the rear element correct?
i don't want to scratch the rear element while experimenting.
thanks again.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

jaehoppa wrote:
ok cool. i guess i would have to try it to find out.
so when the mirror hits the rear of the lens at infinity, it hits the metal ring, not the rear element correct?
i don't want to scratch the rear element while experimenting.
thanks again.

that is my understanding, but i've never watched it happen so to speak. trimming the retaining ring certainly seems to help.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

It definitely helps the cameras that are close to infinity when the mirror hits, those that hit further away it may not.
Some 5D owners shave their mirror to permit more alt lenses to fit without mirror issues.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #9 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

LightShow wrote:
It definitely helps the cameras that are close to infinity when the mirror hits, those that hit further away it may not.
Some 5D owners shave their mirror to permit more alt lenses to fit without mirror issues.

thanks for the info!

Aug 11, 2013 at 03:49 AM
mann_p
• •
p.2 #10 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

The Rokkor 58 I got off a forumer here was converted by Jim Buchanan. He shaved off the rear retaining ring. It still brushes slighly against my old 5D's unshaved mirror but not all the time. Probably because it doesn't sit tight on the mount, but at least I don't worry so much about something breaking.

Btw, all the positive comments on the Rokkor here just made me hold on (tighter) to mine. I already tried to sell it a couple of times. Fortunately no one wanted it lol. I love shooting it wide open all the time. It's "glowy", but sharp and has magical bokeh

Aug 11, 2013 at 08:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

biconvex

p.2 #11 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

Jonas B wrote:
[...] As you had nothing in the focus plane - what is your impression about glow (as in veiling flare)? How would you order the lenses with regards to glow wide open?

That's a tough one. Hard to tell for me because I use different lenses for different purposes, and some of them only at rare occasions. From the back of my head I would probably put the Zuiko 50 at the top when it comes to least glow, but I would have to do a head-to-head comparison to really be able to tell.

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

Thank you biconvex.

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:05 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #13 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

so how far does it focus upto without hitting the mirror?

Aug 11, 2013 at 06:09 PM
mann_p
• •
p.2 #14 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

jaehoppa wrote:
so how far does it focus upto without hitting the mirror?

Ah sorry I forgot to say this is when I focus to infinity- sometimes the mirror will brush against the retainer ring. I tested it again now. And if I turn just a tiny bit away from infinity it gives the mirror enough room.

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:20 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #15 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

mann_p wrote:
Ah sorry I forgot to say this is when I focus to infinity- sometimes the mirror will brush against the retainer ring. I tested it again now. And if I turn just a tiny bit away from infinity it gives the mirror enough room.

ok so almost to infinity.
would i still be able to take landscape shots with this lens?
wondering if it's worth sanding down the retainer ring when it still doesn't allow 100% clearance at infinity.
how far would i be able to focus with an un-filed retainer ring without hitting the mirror?
i guess this all depends on the camera and its mirror position..

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.2 #16 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

About 15 meters to 30 meters on a 6D. You can file the retaining ring down till nothing, but then the element still hits the mirror. Unfortunately, the best solution is to shave the mirror.

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:44 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #17 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

Jabberwockt wrote:
About 15 meters to 30 meters on a 6D. You can file the retaining ring down till nothing, but then the element still hits the mirror. Unfortunately, the best solution is to shave the mirror.

thanks for the info.
so filing down the metal ring too much can increase the change of the mirror hitting the element itself..
i assume with normal amount of filing down this isn't a problem.

Would filing down the retaining ring have any effect when converting the lens back to original minolta mount or converting it to another mount like sony apha mount?

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.2 #18 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

^I've played around with various versions of the Rokkor 58, the rear retaining ring is solely to keep the rear element from falling off the lens. It would not affect your ability to covert it back and forth to different mounts.

Filing it down would give some additional clearance, but it still catches on the mirror at inifity. I modified a one a while back to test on my brother's 6D, with a lot of work, it cleared the mirror at 30 meters. That was the best I could get it without shaving the mirror, it was tempting even though the camera was not mine

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:50 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #19 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

Jabberwockt wrote:
^I've played around with various versions of the Rokkor 58, the rear retaining ring is solely to keep the rear element from falling off the lens. It would not affect your ability to covert it back and forth to different mounts.

Filing it down would give some additional clearance, but it still catches on the mirror at inifity. I modified a one a while back to test on my brother's 6D, with a lot of work, it cleared the mirror at 30 meters. That was the best I could get it without shaving the mirror, it was tempting even though
...Show more

haha never done a mirror shave.

just curious, if you shave the mirror, that part of the mirror will appear dark in the viewfinder?
i have no idea how the shaving is done.

I'm not going to attempt that on my kodak slr/c, maybe I will buy a 5d and do it

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:55 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.2 #20 · Rokkor 58, zuiko 50, or FL55?

by the way, am i correct in assuming that the more you file down the metal ring the further you will be able to focus? even though it might not be full infinity

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:56 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password