Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Has anyone used the Zeiss 32 1.8 next to the Sony 35 1.8? I am considering renting the 2 for myself, but would be curious what others found.

I am wondering if the native AF of the 35 would trump the apparent IQ advantages of the Zeiss, though from what I've seen the 35 is not a slouch. I saw one post here comparing the two in terms of general rendering, but haven't seen anything directly regarding the AF.

TIA...

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:16 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

AFAIK, the touit also has native AF. Zeiss and Sony are partners, so you don't need to worry about inferior reverse engineering IMHO.
My suggestion is simple. There is a massive price difference between the two lenses. Either you see something justifying it, or you don't. If you don't, it is a no-brainer.
But then, there is also a Sigma 30, which is cheaper than either and has a number of shooters singing its praise.

Aug 10, 2013 at 09:37 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Thanks Phillipe. There are a couple of things that have somewhat throttled my white-knuckled pursuit of the touit.

The first is that when looking at the firmware update page on sony's site, it specifically called out the 35 and 50 as far as AF improvements.

The second is that the secondary market is much more - challenging - than I expected, so the price difference is much more meaningful to me right now.

We'll see what happens. I am hoping to have them both next weekend for a few days.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

I have both, but I haven't done side by side tests that I can post. Obviously, if price and/or OSS are important to you, get the Sony. The lens is fast enough and ISO 800 and 1600 are good enough on both of my NEX cameras, that I don't miss OSS when using the Zeiss. Also, any difference in focusing speed and noise isn't material enough to matter to me.

The Sony has a really nice rendering for photos of people and I keep it on my NEX 5n for a compact grab camera for photos of my daughter and family. I really prefer the contrast and look of the Zeiss for natural and urban landscapes and it also works great for photos of people too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Thanks Jeff... That must have been your post I saw then, or else it is really very apparent that the Sony is good for people shots, because the other post I was referring to said the same.

There are a couple of wow shots on the zeiss image browser site, but not a great many examples I've found otherwise, yet, so some hands on time is in order.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Joe,
Here's a couple of examples that I posted before. The first with the Sony and the second is one of the first shots I took with the Zeiss:

http://jkott.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v79/p1357561274-4.jpg

http://jkott.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v78/p1704753594-4.jpg

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Jeff Kott wrote:
I have both, but I haven't done side by side tests that I can post. Obviously, if price and/or OSS are important to you, get the Sony. The lens is fast enough and ISO 800 and 1600 are good enough on both of my NEX cameras, that I don't miss OSS when using the Zeiss. Also, any difference in focusing speed and noise isn't material enough to matter to me.

The Sony has a really nice rendering for photos of people and I keep it on my NEX 5n for a compact grab camera for photos of my daughter and
...Show more

The Sony 35 is supported by the on-sensor pdaf on the NEX-6/NEX-5R, so it's possible there's a more significant difference in AF speed compared to the Touit on those cameras than on the NEX-5N.

I have not heard anything about the Touit's being supported by on-sensor PDAF. Hopefully it'll come as part of a firmware upgrade when the new NEX-5T is rolled out.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Nice shots, Jeff! They confirm my opinion: the Sony is nice, the Touit is special. But that is just me. No comment on the Sigma?

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:04 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Yes, thanks Jeff, I do recall seeing those before. Nice shots. I'd have to agree with philber, just from these two even, you do see what you are paying for with the tout. I am really looking forward to at least trying it out.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:47 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

Thanks for the confirmation alwang. Last weekend was the first time af was *really* a problem. We were at a restaurant in the evening, and my camera couldn't buy a focus lock-in with the 50. I've not installed the latest firmware for the body and lens, but it did make me wonder about the differences between Sony and 3d party. I'll be installing the upgrades today, looking forward to seeing if I can tell a difference.

alwang wrote:
The Sony 35 is supported by the on-sensor pdaf on the NEX-6/NEX-5R, so it's possible there's a more significant difference in AF speed compared to the Touit on those cameras than on the NEX-5N.

I have not heard anything about the Touit's being supported by on-sensor PDAF. Hopefully it'll come as part of a firmware upgrade when the new NEX-5T is rolled out.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NEX Normal: Touit vs. Sony?

I thought I'd post a couple more examples to illustrate my comments above.

first, I said that I don't like the Sony for urban or natural landscapes. This photo was taken on strong end of the day sunlight at F 6.3 with the Sony 35 OSS. If you zoom in on the raw file you can see that there's plenty of detail at 100%, but because of the low micro contrast of the Sony, I think the apparent sharpness is low and don't really care for the rendering for this type of image.

http://jkott.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v110/p1660104518-4.jpg

This next one was an indoor shot in low light taken with the Zeiss 32 at f2.2 and ISO 800 on my Nex 7. As long as I keep an eye on my shutter speed, I never miss not having OSS when I'm using the Zeiss.

http://jkott.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v106/p1878639294-4.jpg

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.