Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone else disappointed with their mirrorless system?

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Anyone else disappointed with their mirrorless system?

Jonas B wrote:
I think I understand Makten is talking about; fast and exact manual focusing is usually better done with cameras not made for AF. But let's see:

Leica rangefinders...

Oh right, RFs... Geez, I totally spaced that one off. Rangefinder cameras just don't enter my consciousness for some reason. I guess I associate RFs with the Kodak Instamatic from 40/50 years ago and using the ones I can afford (in the stores) feel no different - so kinda hard to update the ole brain. Also, besides a cellphone I'd never consider a camera that didn't have an interchangeable lens system. But yup, there ya go, a camera not made for manual focusing!

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Anyone else disappointed with their mirrorless system?

Random thought inspired by this thread:

re: nobody complained about DSLRs being to heavy a few years ago, I would disagree. I always found my D90 plus even a few lenses a bit heavy to carry around all day, say, hiking or walking around a city. More to the point, it plus a 10-24, 18-55, and a 55-200 (to say nothing of bigger leneses) took up half of a carry-on bag. Smaller, lighter m4/3 bodies plus smaller zooms (for those who like those) or 2-3 even smaller, high quality primes (my preference) could fit in military BDU-style cargo pants without issues.

I would also add this is a long term trend in photography. No one complained about view cameras being too heavy prior to the invention of 35mm cameras, too. 20 years ago, large format, medium format, 35mm and even smaller formats had their advantages - you chose formats based on your income, your needs, the level of automation, etc. I see sensors and camera specs the same way: from the best sensors out there (medium format digital) you compromise on size for portability and (in the case of the best DSLRs) features. You have to decide what your needs are - not everyone wants/needs medium format quality. Smaller mirrorless sensors (4/3 and Nikon 1) have their place, it's a matter of what tradeoffs you want for size/price/features.

(FWIW I get perfectly fine 8X10 prints out of my OM-D EM-5 at ISO 6400, and even at ISO 800 I had no problems making 10X30 prints from my D90, an antiquated sensor compared to the EM-5. Besides, at least for me, the vast majority of my photography does not involve rapidly moving subjects and is posted to the internet. The portability of the EM-5 gives it an advantage for most of my hobbyist shooting, and I really can't imagine using a better sensor. In this context, a full frame sensor would be overkill and I only found 1-2 stops improvement from the D600, which was not enough to persuade me to keep it).

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
monk3y1101

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Anyone else disappointed with their mirrorless system?

I went from D700 to mu43 to Fuji in a span of 5 months... I was not disappointed in either the mu43 or Fuji at all. In fact I like them a lot. I guess setting a reasonable expectation made it a smooth transition for me.

The only reason I got Fuji is because I got curious about shooting with it. I did not even expect it to have better IQ than the mu43. But well I think I like it a lot.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:04 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Anyone else disappointed with their mirrorless system?

MarcG19 wrote:
Random thought inspired by this thread:

re: nobody complained about DSLRs being to heavy a few years ago, I would disagree. I always found my D90 plus even a few lenses a bit heavy to carry around all day, say, hiking or walking around a city. More to the point, it plus a 10-24, 18-55, and a 55-200 (to say nothing of bigger leneses) took up half of a carry-on bag. Smaller, lighter m4/3 bodies plus smaller zooms (for those who like those) or 2-3 even smaller, high quality primes (my preference) could fit in military BDU-style cargo pants without issues.
...Show more

I've been asking for an FM2n sized serious DSLR for a long time (4+ years, minimum). The OM-D remains the closest I've found.

I would also add this is a long term trend in photography. No one complained about view cameras being too heavy prior to the invention of 35mm cameras, too. 20 years ago, large format, medium format, 35mm and even smaller formats had their advantages - you chose formats based on your income, your needs, the level of automation, etc. I see sensors and camera specs the same way: from the best sensors out there (medium format digital) you compromise on size for portability and (in the case of the best DSLRs) features. You have to decide what your needs are -
...Show more

Actually, there was a guy named Oskar Barnack who used to complain about the weight of cameras for hiking prior to 35mm existing. He was asthmatic and couldn't haul a large camera on the hikes he liked. He finally did something about it and invented the Leica.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:19 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Anyone else disappointed with their mirrorless system?

'I've been asking for an FM2n sized serious DSLR for a long time (4+ years, minimum).'

Yes, you have, and good on you for doing so.

From the very second I picked up a Nikon D200 (my first and last dital Nikon, and 830 grams of mass with APS-C sensor) I hated the weight of the thing, but if you look inside the DSLRs in one of those breakdown sites, what a dog's dinner of spaghetti they are.

Here is a particularly egregious example:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nikon+D600+Teardown/10708/1

Simplicity is a primary design criterion in my view. I love the RX1. The M series Leicas are the model size for ILC cameras I think.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.