FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

which battery pack do you use for your 600 EX and what batteries seem to be the best?

Thank you in advance.

Aug 09, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Anoop Shah
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

I use the Lumedyne TinyCyclers and they seem to work well. I bought them when they were much cheaper than what they list for now. If I had to buy another battery pack I'd look into the Bolt line of products that B&H carries.

As for AA batteries you'll find a lot of folks here like the Eneloops. I'm a fan of them as well.

Anoop

Aug 09, 2013 at 02:45 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

Thank u. I was looking at the bolt. Thanks. Price seems right too.

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:17 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

skasol wrote:
which battery pack do you use for your 600 EX and what batteries seem to be the best?

Can't speak specifically to the 600ex as I use the previous model, the 580exII, but I've been very happy with Canon's CP-E4 battery pack. The 600 and the 580 both take that pack. I've had luck, too, with some of the third-party battery packs (as alternatives to the brand names) with other flashes but I've only used the name-brand battery pack with the 580.

I've tried a few different battery brands in the pack but have had the best luck as to fast re-cycling speed with the Sanyo eneloop rechargeables, though lately I've been going with Sanyo's XX batteries, instead. The XX are basically the same as the eneloops but have a greater capacity so you get more flashes out of 'em. Price for the XX is about double that of the eneloops.

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:31 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

Saw the bolt cyclone. May go with that option.

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:31 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

D. Diggler wrote:
Can't speak specifically to the 600ex as I use the previous model, the 580exII, but I've been very happy with Canon's CP-E4 battery pack. The 600 and the 580 both take that pack. I've had luck, too, with some of the third-party battery packs (as alternatives to the brand names) with other flashes but I've only used the name-brand battery pack with the 580.

I've tried a few different battery brands in the pack but have had the best luck as to fast re-cycling speed with the Sanyo eneloop rechargeables, though lately I've been going with Sanyo's XX batteries, instead.
...Show more

Thank u. I appreciate this. May still get some of those batteries for some of the extra flashes I have.

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:33 PM
asparkes
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

I use the standard 8-AA Bolt battery pack. Works very easily and I'm getting obviously better recycles. Great price. Simple enough you're basically just doubling or tripling your available cells depending on CFn 12 setting. Recommend it for sure.

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:36 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

asparkes wrote:
I use the standard 8-AA Bolt battery pack. Works very easily and I'm getting obviously better recycles. Great price. Simple enough you're basically just doubling or tripling your available cells depending on CFn 12 setting. Recommend it for sure.

Thank U. What batteries are u adding to this one?

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:38 PM
asparkes
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

Sanyo Eneloops

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:52 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

asparkes wrote:
Sanyo Eneloops

Thank you.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

The Canon CP-E3 or CP-E4 (whatever the current model is) works well for me, filled with Eneloops. I bought them used on here for less than half price in like new condition. Keep your eye out for a good deal.

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:37 AM
TonyTranPhoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

Eneloops are my favorite rechargeable AA's. Most reliable I've used.

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:02 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

What charger for the Sanyo batteries.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

I have the Canon CP-E3 as well for my 580 EX (Which broke on Friday).

I got the 600 EX Rt over Saturday and the Canon CP-E3 worked fine for me as well.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

FWIW when we switched from using ETTL to Manual our batteries starting lasting much longer and we stopped using battery packs.

+1 for sanyo eneloop xx with a very slow charger like this one. It should take at least 6+ hours to charge a set of batteries, otherwise IMHO it's too fast and won't be as effective.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

Bartlett Pair wrote:
FWIW when we switched from using ETTL to Manual our batteries starting lasting much longer and we stopped using battery packs.

+1 for sanyo eneloop xx with a very slow charger like this one. It should take at least 6+ hours to charge a set of batteries, otherwise IMHO it's too fast and won't be as effective.

6 hours to charge a set? Wow. I have those quick 30 minutes charger or 1 hour but 6 hours didn't know.

Thank U for your input.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

skasol wrote:
6 hours to charge a set? Wow. I have those quick 30 minutes charger or 1 hour

Lincoln Bartlett is right about the six hours. That's what I do. Slow charging helps battery life.

And that's a nice charger he recommended. You get the option of charging at 200, 500, or 700. If you have more time, set the charger to the lowest setting of 200. If you need a faster charge, set to 700. For middle ground, set to 500.

The batteries can sometimes get quite hot at the 700 setting while charging and then the built-in temperature detector will shut down the charging till the batteries cool, at which time charging will resume. Plus that charger performs another important function of "refreshing" the batteries, which should be done when new and also if they haven't been used in a while. Refreshing is about a three-day process where the batteries are charged and discharged over and over till they reach their maximum capacity.

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Mstic
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

i have the LaCrosse charger as well, excellent product and would recommend it for rechargeable batteries

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

Mstic wrote:
i have the LaCrosse charger as well, excellent product and would recommend it

The one thing I miss with the LaCrosse is that it only does four batteries at a time. I wish I had an eight-battery (or more) charger; I bring 40 re-chargeable AAs to each job and to top them all off right before the job, I have to do ten batches of only four batteries at a time. Takes more than one day to accomplish.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:46 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Battery pack for 600 EX RT

http://www.mahaenergy.com/mh-c801d/

Aug 28, 2013 at 09:44 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.