Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First attempt at panning action

Noedig

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First attempt at panning action

I know ziplining isn't an olympic sport... but I thought this forum was the best place to get critiques for the subject.

Below is my first attempt at shooting panning action shots. It took 4 or 5 people down the zipline for me to rough in the settings... and even then, I didn't have much success.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Noedig

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First attempt at panning action

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Noedig

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First attempt at panning action

What prompted me to try this technique was, after looking at my zipline photos from a previous time at this camp, I realized shooting at a high shutter speed robbed the photos of any sense of movement and energy. Here are three examples from the first time shooting ziplining.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First attempt at panning action

I like the first one except for the fact that his hand is cut off...

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Noedig

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First attempt at panning action

Carl... I know, I wish I had gotten his hand in the shot too. But to be honest, I was as happy as a pig in poop to get as much of him in frame as I did.

I was trying to track the people from a ways uphill, until they were well past me... using my 70-200mm usually around 90mm. This resulted in some pretty whacked out framing on a number of my shots.

The next time I'm going to try only capturing the images as they move directly in from me. That way I think I can frame the shots before hand... and maybe even dial in the focus and go manual. Then I'll just concentrate on tracking them and grabbing a couple quick shots when they're right in front in me. I'd be curious if my keeper rate might be higher.

In theory. ;-)

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:47 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First attempt at panning action

Looks good to me!

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:47 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First attempt at panning action

Hand didn't bother me as much as the motion blur in the face. If you're gonna pan it, need to nail it with face being tack sharp. Don't even care so much about limbs showing blur. The one I like the best is #3. True, no real sense of movement, but it succeeds on emotion... showing the fun he's having.

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password