New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · lost

Firefighterjos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lost

My son at Hershey park looking at the map .

Aug 09, 2013 at 01:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lost

Welcome to FM and a place to expand your photographic skills.
Looks like a good "subject" to work with.
I think most of us would view this as a memory shot, capturing a personal moment important to you but not necessarily conveying the interaction and your experience so well for others.
Working with the title, including the map and your son looking off in the distance makes sense. However, the angle is a bit odd, shooting down on him and the map almost becomes more the subject. Shooting closer to eye level, with your son looking out and away from the map and perhaps partly turned from the camera as you have done, might feel a bit less dizzying and still accomplish some of your goal. The map does not need to be in focus and a shallow DOF with focus on his eyes would work, trying to capitalize on his expression.
Your capture also illustrates a common error that experienced photographers still make from time to time: including distracting and extraneous elements. I have a number of otherwise nice images with trees sprouting from my son's head, poles emerging from ears. To a lesser extent, the pole in this picture is distracting. You probably needed to shoot from a quite different angle to avoid it. However, it is exaggerated by placement in the middle of the image, the angle at which you shot, emphasizing being off balance and coming at you.
Take home: Reposition closer to eye level, keep eyes sharply focused, make subject his looking off in distance more than equally sharp map.

Scott

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lost

Nice image. Mostly I'd try to get more on his level, so you aren't looking down. Tough to get map that way though.

Aug 18, 2013 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.