Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What do you think of these four?

scot1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you think of these four?

From my last wedding. Let me know how you think I am doing. No sugar coating!

Aug 09, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you think of these four?

1. looks like her eyes aren't fully shut.. but I can't tell, it just looks strange. overall I like it, though.

2. interesting crop, and i'm not sure if i like where you cut their legs off. and did you.. add a fake blur at the top?

3. I like it.

4. I like it with the exception of the tight crop against her arm.

Aug 09, 2013 at 12:34 PM
scot1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you think of these four?

Thanks Jeff. Yes no.2 is PS blur. Is that bad?

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:00 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you think of these four?

I like what you have posted, how do you think you are doing?

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:33 PM
scot1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you think of these four?

sherijohnson wrote:
I like what you have posted, how do you think you are doing?

I am rarely satisfied with my work. My clients normally are but I am always pushing to take my work to the next level.

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:18 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What do you think of these four?

Good job, honest thoughts though:

1. Like it. Looks a touch over processed with regards to the skin. That could just be her veil smoothing things though. Don't like the fold of the veil which comes out of her eye, kinda makes it look like she's just been stabbed in it and blinked! Other than those little bits though really strong shot.

2. Looks like a good example of a generic tilt-shift shot. You've done it well, I like the composition and pose (although it may not flatter her stomach). Basically it's a really nice shot, I wish you could have found something slightly different to have made it better though,

3. Really nice cute moment well executed. Not going to win awards but I'm sure they'll really love it and it'll get printed somewhere along the line.

4. Well exposed, well lit. Again skin looks a touch too smoothed for me and I'm not a fan of the line in the bg cutting their faces. Her arm also look contorted into a slightly weird angle.

All in all really solid nice images. Feel if you wanted you could push yourself a lot more but these are by no means bad. If I were client I know what I'd be booking you for and I'd be confident you could deliver.

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:29 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What do you think of these four?

I like 'em... they just look a bit heavy on clarity or skin smoothing for my personal tastes. I like realism. (mainly the close-ups)

#2 blur went too far. It's unrealistic. I also wasn't crazy about the crop, but it's "okay".

Speaking of crop, I'd lend a lot more room to all of them. I don't know if these are cropped more, but 3 & 4 are pretty tight.

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:33 PM
scot1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What do you think of these four?

Thanks for these critiques, it helps.

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:00 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What do you think of these four?

n1 very very nice pose with those Little things mention above, but I love the pose, they can be so hard to achive.

Jaime

Aug 10, 2013 at 06:30 AM
Theographics
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What do you think of these four?

#1 is very nice, but the skin smoothing is a touch too much for my tastes. not digging the fake blur. nice light, though!

#2 has very noticeably fake PS blur. the composition is not great for me, especially since the fake blur makes 2/3 of the image just nothing but blurry green. it's a really nice moment you captured, but i would have liked to have seen it much closer for a more "personal" feel.

quick note here - i think it's better to get the blur in camera with large apertures or a T/S lens if you want to go that route rather than adding it in post. most of the time it's very obvious that the blur is added after the fact and detracts, rather than adds, to the image. just my opinion of course, and sometimes fake blur can be done rather convincingly.

no CC for #3. nice, natural moment.

#4 watch your cropping on her arm, and the image looks to be just a tad hot. other than that, it looks nice.

nice work, overall!

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:01 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What do you think of these four?

1 -- I really like this shot but the half-closed eyes kill it for me. Is this your only shot? Or did you fire off a few of these for safeties? I"m totally digging it and I hope you have another just like it with a better look for the eyes. The fake blur down below works well here.

2 -- It's not the fake blur that's the problem here, it's how you created the fake blur. You really need to feather this thing so it looks more natural. Also, on a wide shot like this, I'm just not a fan of cutting out feet.

3 -- agreed with others. Nice natural moment.

4 -- Here's the deal. You get the technical part of the equation right, you get a really nice pose, but did you look behind them to notice a tree was behind him and not her? I just think this shot would work better if they had the same background behind them. It helps lock all the visual attention right onto them.

Overall, really nice work. Don't be so hard on yourself. You should be proud of this work.

Aug 11, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What do you think of these four?

1. I like this a whole lot. She looks lovely, and I predict she'll really like the shot. Her husband will, too. He'll want a big one of this shot, I bet.

2. Yes, the PS blur is bad. Not as a general rule, but it doesn't work here because it's impossible. A tilt-shift wouldn't produce this look because the tree tops are not in the right plane for that. The focal shift you created makes it look as though there's a canopy of trees that stretches over your (photographer's) head and behind you, when in fact it's just some straight-up trees. Re: the cropping, I see and agree with what others said about cutting off feet -- I screw this up a lot, myself, and I am routinely angry with myself. Basically, I suck at this, so yeah, it's not ideal, but my name is pot, and I'm pleased to meet you, kettle.

3. Again great. Different from #1, these are characteristic expressions and they'll love this of themselves. It will be on a 5x7 or 4x6 on each of their desks.

4. It's fine -- her hand is just off a bit. See how her fingers curl back because she's pressing her fingertips against his cheek? Need to get her to really relax those fingertips so the curve elegantly in one direction. Then it would be a well-executed (if common) pose.

I like your colors. That's just a matter of taste. I'm a big fan of how you finished #1, except on my color-calibrated monitor, it looks like yellow is oversaturated to the point that her hair is fluorescent yellow and there's a bit too much yellow in her skin (chest especially). I'd get in LR and dial back the Yellow channel a smidgen.

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:58 PM
scot1

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What do you think of these four?

thanks for the helpful feedback on #2. I'll redo it without the blur and re-crop with grooms feet in.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:20 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What do you think of these four?

The first is very good except for blurring out the dress. Brides spend a great deal of time finding the perfect dress with detail work and it makes no sense to blur it out for "artistic" reasons.

No. 2 is two thirds blurred out dark foliage that adds nothing to the image. I understand the concept of negative space but this is not a good way to try to achieve that. Foliage can be a distracting and busy background and it can be good to blur it out when it is the entire background and not the foreground as with this image.

No. 3 is a nice catch

No 4 - brides hand by the groom's face looks very unnatural and poorly posed. It would have been a very good image without her hand up by his face.

Other ways to deal with bland foliage as a background is to go low or go high so you change the background in your shots.

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.