Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D2 used value

trueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D2 used value

I'm just wondering - I see some 5D2 ads for 1300 all the way to 1650. My camera has 42k actuations and is in about 8.5-9 condition. I also have the BG-E6 grip and an extra battery, and was going to list locally for $1500 CAD - do you think that is a fair price or am I undervaluing?

Just looking to get the most out of my used gear for an upgrade.

Thanks

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D2 used value

Personally, as someone in the market for 5D2, I'd be interested at C$1100 and MAYBE C$1200. Reason being the 6D can be had for your 5D2 asking price of C$1500.

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:39 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D2 used value

Personally, I'd consider it in the $1200 USD range. (And I have a 5D2... that I'm not selling.) The 6D being the major pressure on price.

That said, I always find these threads a little self-serving. It's a legit question, but: i) you already know what the going price is (you even mention the range 1,300 to 1,650) so what do you hope to accomplish here? and, ii) isn't a post like this essentially an EXTRA-high traffic advertisement letting all the Canon mount folks know not only that you're selling-- but all relevant sales information including actuations, condition, extras?

Aug 09, 2013 at 08:10 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D2 used value

A used 5DII in the shop where I buy my equipment cost about $ 1100. And have 3 months warranty

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D2 used value

$1500 sounds about right, for Canada. Have you tried Kijiji?

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:54 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D2 used value

Should be around $1000. I like many expected the 6d would accelerate the depreciation value of the 5d2. But it didn't. Instead this 2008 camera's used prices is shy of the much newer 6d.

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:11 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D2 used value

Keep in mind that the responses to a question like this on this board include:

- "I have one I'd like to sell and I hope I can get X for it"

- "I'm trying to get one myself for the cheapest possible price and I hope I can get it for Y."

- "I've been tracking 5D2 pricing and it seems to be trending this direction."

- "The 5D2 sucks and I wouldn't buy one but no one should spend more than Z."

Best to look at online offerings and sales, and to also look at some of the dealers who sell such things (KEH, B&H, etc) and see what their pricing looks like.

Good luck!

Dan

Edited on Aug 09, 2013 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:30 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D2 used value

I've seen plenty of 5D2's listed for $1,200 with less use than yours. With the grip, I would say somewhere between $1,200 - $1,300 would be a good price to shoot for.

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:35 PM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D2 used value

justruss wrote:
Personally, I'd consider it in the $1200 USD range. (And I have a 5D2... that I'm not selling.) The 6D being the major pressure on price.

That said, I always find these threads a little self-serving. It's a legit question, but: i) you already know what the going price is (you even mention the range 1,300 to 1,650) so what do you hope to accomplish here? and, ii) isn't a post like this essentially an EXTRA-high traffic advertisement letting all the Canon mount folks know not only that you're selling-- but all relevant sales information including actuations, condition, extras?

I understand where you're coming from, but my point was that the range is large and I can't seem to tell what causes the large range other than maybe seller's motivation. Also, I am really only interested in selling locally right now to avoid shipping, so i was just wondering if I was in the right ballpark - I don't want to under-price and lose money and i don't want to over-price and alienate buyers. Just asking for feedback, and everyone who has PMd me has been told the same - only selling locally.

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:08 PM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D2 used value

jcolwell wrote:
$1500 sounds about right, for Canada. Have you tried Kijiji?

That's where I've listed it and there aren't many other current ads around here - always hard to tell there since you without fail get emails offering 30-60% of your ask no matter what, always stating they have "cash" (what else would I accept?)

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D2 used value

With the condition and number of actuations you've described, I think you would be towards the lower end of the price range. For $1500-$1600 you can get a low-actuation, barely-used copy with a store warranty.

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:19 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D2 used value

trueimage wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, but my point was that the range is large and I can't seem to tell what causes the large range other than maybe seller's motivation. Also, I am really only interested in selling locally right now to avoid shipping, so i was just wondering if I was in the right ballpark - I don't want to under-price and lose money and i don't want to over-price and alienate buyers. Just asking for feedback, and everyone who has PMd me has been told the same - only selling locally.

I would ignore asking prices for unsold bodies and focus on the sold ones instead. That will tell you the market price of the camera.

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:23 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D2 used value

I sold mine locally for $1450. It was used but well cared for, included everything as from the dealer, and had a precision matte focus screen and locking dial added.

The market price will vary between E-Bays throughout the world, enthusiast websites, and of course Craigslist.

Remember that it costs a prospective buyer *nothing* to propose a lower number to the seller. I think used market is pretty stressed right now, more than it's been in some years.

If you're a buyer it's good. If you're a seller? Have patience!

You'll know you've hit the magic point when suddenly there is a measurable amount of interest.

Aug 09, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D2 used value

From another thread:

Earlier I posted on the '5D2 used value' thread that I'd pay C$1100 for a good used 5D2, or maybe C$1200. Those prices are for a buyer with strong motivation to buy. In reality I'd feel more comfortable paying less for used kit. Considering the price of a brand new 6D... no shutter actuations, no drops, no sensor cleans, no finger grease. The used 5D2's are, to me, rather overpriced.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:29 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D2 used value

trueimage wrote:

I don't doubt all that is true!

It just sets a precedent for allowing these kinds of posts in general-- which not everyone will be as altruistic about as you. For instance, we aren't allowed to list gear we're looking to sell/buy in our signatures (as needed pointing out to me a few years ago).

It's not a big deal, per se.

As for your question, I don't see what you need to fear in alienating your buyers? Pick a price you'd be happy with-- or a little higher. Post your free listing (local/craigslist I assume), and see if you get bites. If not, you lower your price and post again. It's not like you really need to worry about all that. Buyers aren't going to see your listing at $1,500, then your later listing at $1,200, and think: "What a schmuck, he was trying to get a higher price than the market would support-- so now I'm not going to buy from him now that his price is reasonable."

Don't think it works like that. If anything, you set an anchor price at $1,500, and then when you re-list at $1,300... people think they're getting a deal because the ones in the market for a 5D2 are anchored to the first price they've seen. Pretty standard irrational-rational psychological concept (see: Dan Ariely).

Threads like this offer strange information. The only ones who can actually price something like this-- are those who are in the market to buy, and prepared to fork out cash. Everyone else can't set the market price... because market price is only set by the point at which real buyers will actually part with money. Interestingly, those real buyers, in a thread like this, should be trying to get a price a little lower than their "here's the price I'd buy at" level. So the real market makers will give you lower prices than you should expect to sell at.

Everyone else-- like me (not in the market)-- are speculating. Our information is the same as yours: looking at what we've seen similar packages go for. In other words: You're not getting actionable info from us that you couldn't compile on your own. The real market makers aren't going to be quoting their real prices. Some people may be contacting you to buy.

Better: Decide what you think it is worth based on what you see. If you're concerned about squeezing out every penny, rather than just a quick sale (which is clear--- that's the whole thesis of creating a separate thread to help you price your sale, something the vast majority of us don't do)... take your worth-based price, and list a little higher. Then slowly back down until you get a sale!

Now that... is actionable advice!

Aug 10, 2013 at 08:44 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D2 used value

I bought my last 5D MK II as a canon refurb for $1450 after the CLP discount. It had about 125 actuations and was perfect. Now, refurbs carry a 1 year warranty as well. I'm not sure if they still give the 20% discount, I seem to recall they dropped it to 10% one day after I bought mine.

I'd think $1000-$1200 was a good price for one with that many actuations.

Aug 11, 2013 at 03:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D2 used value

scalesusa wrote:
I'd think $1000-$1200 was a good price for one with that many actuations.

Me, too.

Aug 11, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D2 used value

I sold a used 5D2, a year ago May, with a few hundred clicks on a newly replaced shutter, for $1500.

If I was going to buy a used one today, I wouldn't pay more than $1200.

Aug 11, 2013 at 04:03 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D2 used value

You will get more money selling on a local market like craigslist. I know I could easily fetch USD $1350 for mine on craigslist, which is a substantial improvement over the paltry $1000-1100 5D2's are going for here for the same number of clicks. Typically local markets have a higher used price point than fredmiranda buy/sell - which I why I buy on FM and sell locally.

Aug 11, 2013 at 05:05 AM
horobosu

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D2 used value

Josh, I just sold a 5D2 on Kijiji 2 months ago. It was a 9.5/10 condition with 20k clicks.
I listed it at $1200 firm and was sold in an hour to the first guy that responded. Maybe I listed it too low? Just some info for you .

Len

Aug 11, 2013 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password